'The Dracula Dossier'

I'm looking forward to revitalising (or rebooting) my Agents game with this material. And I think Bruce Wayne could lead a pretty cool team of Outsiders, superspies and vigilantes around the world to hunt down Dracula's spy network. I hope to hear some action-packed reports about it.

BigVanVader

First Post
I have mixed feelings about the inclusion of the Nosferatu.

On one hand, of course I'm pleased that Count Orlock is involved in the game, and that he's shown as his own thing. But I think I would have done things a bit differently. I'd have it so that Orlock is as old as Dracula, and that every folk tale or legend you've heard about Dracula? About half of it was Orlock, and vica versa. This reflect the fact that the Nosferatu film was such a ripoff of Dracula, it was actually a result of all the misinformation out there about vampires(and of course, the misinformation about these two.)

Now, whether Dracula and Orlock made this intentional, or whether they hate each other, that's something else entirely.

Anyway, the new addition looks way groovy. Good job, guys. :D

How easy is it to convert Gumshoe to Savage Worlds? I like the Dracula Dossier but I have no experience with Night's Black Agents.

The two systems have some philosophical differences - one is a partly-diceless investigation game, the other is made to work well with quick miniature combat. Both do have a similar scale of difficulty numbers, though (default average difficulty roll is a 4 in Gumshoe, and it goes up to 10 or more for insanely hard rolls). Character stats are very, very different, though. Gumshoe uses very old-school hit points while Savage Worlds characters survive on their Toughness and stock of Bennies. And so on.

Still, much of this campaign is going to depend on the story and the clues, and those should be easily usable in both Savage Worlds and Gumshoe.

BigVanVader

First Post
The two systems have some philosophical differences - one is a partly-diceless investigation game, the other is made to work well with quick miniature combat. Both do have a similar scale of difficulty numbers, though (default average difficulty roll is a 4 in Gumshoe, and it goes up to 10 or more for insanely hard rolls). Character stats are very, very different, though. Gumshoe uses very old-school hit points while Savage Worlds characters survive on their Toughness and stock of Bennies. And so on.

Still, much of this campaign is going to depend on the story and the clues, and those should be easily usable in both Savage Worlds and Gumshoe.

And it's such a cool story to boot!

It's a shame though, my group I don't think would appreciate it. And the guy in our group who really enjoys roleplaying and character building like I do, he openly admitted that he's just "not really into spy stuff".

Such a shame.

And it's such a cool story to boot!

It's a shame though, my group I don't think would appreciate it. And the guy in our group who really enjoys roleplaying and character building like I do, he openly admitted that he's just "not really into spy stuff".

Such a shame.

Well, I'd take you into my group, but you have to be able to drive to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia...

That's true, plus I'd have to learn Malaysian. Or Lumpurian.

The national language is Bahasa Malaysia (mostly similar to Bahasa Indonesia) but pretty much everyone learns English as a compulsory topic in school. So almost all the roleplaying groups I know (except one Savage Worlds Ultraman Land of Light group) game in English. With the occasional multilingual puns.

eres one of my players' blogs. This was the last Night's Black Agents session we had before the campaign got put on hold. http://www.hishgraphics.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=1261

I think the differences between the systems re strong enough that it would require a lot of rework, using flavor and rough ideas, but not really direct translations. In other words, much work by you.

On the positive side, GUMSHOE is pretty easy. I converted my 20+ year playing Call of Cthulhu gang to use it in one session; and that is the Trail of Cthulhu version of GUMSHOE, which adds quite a few extra bits. I'd suggest getting some Night's Black Agents material and seeing what you think. My guess would be you'll find it pretty easy just to use as is.

Remove ads