A GMing telling the players about the gameworld is not like real life

pemerton

Legend
Calling GM Decides mother may I, I don't see how it helps to understand what is driving that kind of play at all.

<snip>

I appreciate it if you haven't been using Mother May I. I was under the impression you had, but I apparently just assumed that.
Don't you read what I post before you criticise me for it?

Very clearly that is your discussing the playstyle as "Mother May I."
That is me, in the other thread, using the term coined by the OP of that thread to engage with the topic of that thread (an OP that [MENTION=85555]Bedrockgames[/MENTION] has said he has no problem with). As I have said in multiple posts in this thread, when responding to other posters who use the term I have used it, mostly inside quotes, because otherwise conversation becomes difficult if not impossible.

What's at issue in the other thread is how to use play techniques other than GM decides, so as to have play esperiences that aren't primarily driven by the GM's preferences and conception of the fiction. "Mother may I' was used by the OP in that thread as a shorthand for the right hand side of the "so as" clause. The primary focus of this thread is Whether or not GM decides is saliently comparable to real life. I assert that it's not, precisely because it's about a particular person's preferences and volition. If someone wants to label that "Mother may I" good luck to them, but it's not a term I've used or that I need to use to make my point.

Don't you read what I post before you criticise me for it?

That is me, in the other thread, using the term coined by the OP of that thread to engage with the topic of that thread (an OP that [MENTION=85555]Bedrockgames[/MENTION] has said he has no problem with).

Cordiality matters. When I expressed my viewpoint on his use of Mother May I, he acknowledged it may have been more complicated than his first post made it out to be (or something to that effect). He still held to a position I disagreed with, but my issue in this and that thread hasn't been merely disagreeing. It has been about what feels like a lack of respect in the conversation from some posters. With him I simply didn't get a sense that I was being disrespected.

pemerton

Legend
If I buy Burning Wheel, I have full authority to create house rules for it, including altering the game to give me the same level of DM authority that D&D has. I can then seek players for my Burning Wheel game. I will likely not find many(or maybe not any), but I can do it.
You would actually be violating the rules of that game if you do this.

The point you're so adeptly missing is that D&D puts control over the rules under the GM as a rule of the game. BW does not.
To add to what Ovinomancer said:

(1) There is nothing special about the GM role in the example you give. I could buy the BW books and create house rules for it and ask someone to GM it for me.

(2) There is nothing special about the game being an RPG in the example you give. I could buy Forbidden Desert, create a house rule for it (eg double the number of sand counters) and ask people to play it with me.

All you'e shown is that people can make up games and ask people to play them with them. Which I think is probably common knowledge for participants in this thread.

Or the GM says, " you're lawful good and have orders yo guard this location. You wouldn't wander off behind the tree. If you do, I'm changing your alignment and you'll lose your Paladin abilities."
I'm still working through the thread, so maybe [MENTION=6972053]Numidius[/MENTION] has responded to this already. But to me it seems a fairly common alternative to being left hanging around unsupported by the fiction.

pemerton

Legend
The counterpart of Gm-decides, is Players-abide.
They wait for the Gm to do the right thing, and don't try to be part of the solution, because it would be like metagame cheating.
This is not unique to Roman RPGing. I've encountered this phenomenon in Melbourne, Australia. (My town.)

hawkeyefan

Legend
Horribly wrong. It would require a DM to go out of his way to allow or disallow all the declarations of the players. That's not something I have ever encountered before, even with the few DM's who I rate as bad ones.

I would agree. If a DM denies all action declarations, then things have indeed gone horribly wrong.

But what would be considered “mildly wrong” or “wrong enough to be of concern”?

I wouldn't think so. I don't think it occurs to the vast majority of us that we can stop a PC from going around a tree to look at something from the other side. The notion being put forth by the "Mother May I" crowd that D&D is "Mother May I," because the DM has the power to stop every declaration people make in D&D, is bupkis. The DM has never had that power unless he has taken it and given it to himself.

I don’t think that’s what’s being put forth by anyone. You’re assuming the extreme where a DM denies everything the players try to do out of hand. As you’ve said quite a lot, that is a DM being a jerk.

Instead, let’s imagine a DM who does it here and there. And I don’t mean the kind of “say no” that’s required to run the game, just the kind where it’s the DM deciding he doesn’t like what the player has introduced. He could say yes, but for whatever reason, he says no.

Can you see how some players might not like the idea the DM can do that? He doesn’t have to be some megalomaniacal tyrant, laughing behind the DM screen as his players fail to achieve anything because he’s decided to give himself absolute authority muu huu haha hahha ahaha! It could be just one instance, and it rubs a certain player the wrong way.

So, if you can see how some players might be a bit nervous about that idea, which I think is pretty easy to understand, then you can also imagine that a game system that made efforts to remove the risk of that happening might appeal to those players.

Would you agree with that?

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
To add to what Ovinomancer said:

(1) There is nothing special about the GM role in the example you give. I could buy the BW books and create house rules for it and ask someone to GM it for me.

(2) There is nothing special about the game being an RPG in the example you give. I could buy Forbidden Desert, create a house rule for it (eg double the number of sand counters) and ask people to play it with me.

The point you are ignoring is that DM authority exists in all RPGs if the DM so wishes.

All you'e shown is that people can make up games and ask people to play them with them. Which I think is probably common knowledge for participants in this thread.

So it's your contention that a house rule changes the game into a completely new game that the person made up?

pemerton

Legend
pemerton said:
Whether or not this sort of case, in which the player who was hoping to change the fiction discovers that s/he is really exploring it, is a problem will obviously be something that varies from table to table. That it might be a problem I think is obvious.
How exploration in an RPG can ever be a problem rather boggles the mind, given as exploration is one of the three** key pillars*** of the game.

** - or four, if downtime is included as a pillar
*** - and though it took 5e D&D to codify this, the principles this codification are based on - that an RPG consists in varying measures of social interaction, exploration, and combat - are nigh-universal.
(1) Notice that I didn't say that exploration is a problem. I said that I think it is obvious how the following might be a problem: a player who is hoping to change the fiction, by way of an action declaration for his/her PC, discovers - in virtue of how the GM approaches adjudication that s/he is really exploring the fiction.

The risk of such a problem is not obviated by pointing out that exploration is a "key pillar" of the game.

Here's a trite illustration of the point: drinking water is a key pillar of human existence. But it might be a problem if every time you go to eat some food, or drink some beer, or . . ., you find yourself drinking water instead.

Here's a slightly less trite illustration: if a player is setting out to do something in a different "pillar", and discovers by way of unanticipated GM adjudication that s/he is really exploring, then s/he might feel surprised or even disappointed.

(2) The idea of pillars of exploration, combat and social is actually distinctive to some versions of D&D.

It doesn't generalise to Traveller, in which making a FTL jump is a moment of action resolution that is neither fighting nor talking but is not exploration. It requires various rolls to avoid misjump, drive failure and the like.

It doesn't generalise to Burning Wheel, in which chasing someone or buying something can be a moment of action resolution no different in basic mechanical structure from fighting or talking, but obviously neither.

It doesn't generalise to 4e D&D, which has two basic pillars - combat and non-combat (skill challenges) - and the latter can be used to adjudicate social interaction, crossing a desert, altering or dispelling a magical phenomenon, etc.

Before starting to change something, doesn't it make sense to explore it first and figure out what you're trying to change and why? To learn the parameters of your in-fiction surroundings, and of the situation at hand?

And then isn't it reasonable to first determine what means and methods of change, of those you have available to you in the fiction, have better chances of success* before just diving in?

* - and this determination can and often will include some trial and error, a fine example of which is the Dimension Door bit quoted above. If the PCs have no way of knowing they've just entered a teleport no-fly zone, this is how they find out.
This all rests on very strong assumptions about how RPGing works. I'm sure they're true for how you play D&D. They're clearly not true for (say) Dungeon World played by the book.

To elaborate: the most common way that the players in my games learn the parameters of their in-fiction surrounding is by asking and being told. That is, they don't declare actions with the intention of having the outcome being narration of fiction; they (as players, not as their PCs) ask me and I tell them.

Sometimes this has collaborative dimensions, in the sense that together we establish the parameters of the fiction.

In our last Traveller session, for instance, through asking and telling and working together we established fiction about Imperial Marines insignia, the player of an ex-Marine established some details about salutes and signals, we referred to rulebooks to ascertain exactly how battle dress (a type of powered armour works), I described to the players the existence of force-field type technology that is used to maintain heat in open-air areas on the icy-cold world the PCs are currently on, etc. None of this took the form of exploration in the D&D sense of delcaring actions like "I prod it with a 10' pole". It was all about establising and sharing backstory and establishing clear framing of current situations.

Another way the fiction in my games is established is as the outcome of action declarations. In a BW session, this was how it was established that a sick-room contained a chamber pot (a player made a successful Perception check to notice a vessel in the room). In a Cortex+ Heroic session, this was how it was established that some runic inscriptions described the dungeon layout (because a player declared an action to eliminate his PC's Lost in the Dungeon complication, using the Runic Inscrptions Scene Distinction as a component of his dice pool for this action).

Yet another way is because players make checks that oblige me to make up new fiction. This is a part of Dungeon World - you'll recall the discussions upthread of the Discern Realities and Spout Lore moves, which - if successful - oblige the GM to provide the player with certain bits of information:

Spout Lore
When you consult your accumulated knowledge about something, roll+Int. ✴On a 10+, the GM will tell you something interesting and useful about the subject relevant to your situation. ✴On a 7–9, the GM will only tell you something interesting—it’s on you to make it useful.

Discern Realities
When you closely study a situation or person, roll+Wis. ✴On a 10+, ask the GM 3 questions from the list below. ✴On a 7–9, ask 1. Either way, take +1 forward when acting on the answers.

• What happened here recently?
• What is about to happen?
• What should I be on the lookout for?
• What here is useful or valuable to me?
• Who’s really in control here?
• What here is not what it appears to be?​

It's taken for granted in DW that that information won't have been pre-established - the GM is expected to make it up on the spot, building on what has gone before and the current dynamic of play (including previous "soft moves" made by the GM) - [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] have discussed the details of this technique upthread.

Similar things happen in my Traveller game, though in Classic Traveller it is mostly less formally structured.

In the first session, after the PCs had been briefed by their patron, one of the players was suspicious because the whole thing didn't make much sense:

Methwit thought all this sounded a bit odd - why would a high-class (Soc A) marine lieutenant be smuggling goods into a dead-end world like Byron - and so asked Li back to his hotel room to talk further. With his Liaison-1 and Carousing-1 and a good reaction roll she agreed, and with his Interrogation-1 he was able to obtain some additional information (although he did have to share some details about his own background to persuade her to share).

The real situation, she explained, was that Byron was itself just a stop-over point. The real action was on another world - Enlil - which is technologically backwards and has a disease-ridden atmosphere to which there is no resistance or immunity other than in Enlil's native population. So the goods to be shipped from Ardour-3 were high-tech medical gear for extracting and concentrating pathogens from the atmosphere on Enlil, to be shipped back to support a secret bio-weapons program. The reason a new team was needed for this mission was because Vincenzo had won the yacht from the original team - who were being dealt with "appropriately" for their incompetence in disrupting the operation.

(I had been planning to leave the real backstory to the mission pretty loose, to be fleshed out as needed - including the possibility that Li was actually going to betray the PCs in some fashion - but the move from Methwit's player forced my hand, and I had to come up with some more plausible backstory to explain the otherwise absurd situation I'd come up with. And it had to relate to the worlds I'd come up with in my prep.)

For the character in the fiction, of course that's all about figuring out what is going on. But for the player, given that I am approaching my Traveller game in a DW-type spirit rather than a "secret backstory" spirit, it's about using action declarations to force the referee to provide more detail in the framing, thus providing the player with more fictional "levers" on which to hang action declarations.

And notice that this is the player doing this. (Just as, in DW, it is a player who triggers Discern Realities or Spout Lore.) Which relates back to the first part of my reply - my response as referee conformed to the players intentions in declaring the action (ie forcing the GM to enrich the framing to provide more fictional levers).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I would agree. If a DM denies all action declarations, then things have indeed gone horribly wrong.

But what would be considered “mildly wrong” or “wrong enough to be of concern”?

Sure, but that's also exceptionally rare, and once you leave that realm it's no longer "Mother May I." When you get a DM denying player actions mildly or even moderately, it's no longer a "Mother May I" situation. It's a Railroad. I've seen about threeish DMs over the last 36 years who acted that way.

I don’t think that’s what’s being put forth by anyone. You’re assuming the extreme where a DM denies everything the players try to do out of hand. As you’ve said quite a lot, that is a DM being a jerk.

[MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] said it straight out multiple times. He said that D&D was "Mother May I", because the DM has the ability to stop or allow all player actions, so even if the DM doesn't exercise that power, it's "Mother May I." Nevermind that the DM doesn't actually have that authority from the books.

Instead, let’s imagine a DM who does it here and there. And I don’t mean the kind of “say no” that’s required to run the game, just the kind where it’s the DM deciding he doesn’t like what the player has introduced. He could say yes, but for whatever reason, he says no.

What kind of player introduction are we talking about? If it's the creation of a place or NPC, that's not the player's job in D&D, so saying no isn't "Mother May I" or Railroading. It's simply playing a traditional game. If you're talking about introducing part of the PC's personality or something that the player has control of, then saying no is usually going to be bad.

Can you see how some players might not like the idea the DM can do that? He doesn’t have to be some megalomaniacal tyrant, laughing behind the DM screen as his players fail to achieve anything because he’s decided to give himself absolute authority muu huu haha hahha ahaha! It could be just one instance, and it rubs a certain player the wrong way.

Sure, but this isn't a problem with the system. It's an issue of two people enjoying different playstyles in the first example above, and the DM probably making a mistake in the second.

So, if you can see how some players might be a bit nervous about that idea, which I think is pretty easy to understand, then you can also imagine that a game system that made efforts to remove the risk of that happening might appeal to those players.

Sure, which is why people play different games.

pemerton

Legend
The point you are ignoring is that DM authority exists in all RPGs if the DM so wishes.
Are you determined to ignore the fact that the GM is irrelevant here. Any player can suggest a house rule and have others agree to it. The GM is nothing special in this regard.

You are asserting that the GM has some special status and power in this respect, which is simply not true.

So it's your contention that a house rule changes the game into a completely new game that the person made up?
No. I don't care how you individuate games. My point is the above: that any player of any game can ask others to accept a house rule or variation that s/he proposes. This is an obvious point. It reveals nothing distinctive about RPGs, nor about the role of GMs in RPGing.

pemerton

Legend
hawkeyefan said:
let’s imagine a DM who does it here and there. And I don’t mean the kind of “say no” that’s required to run the game, just the kind where it’s the DM deciding he doesn’t like what the player has introduced. He could say yes, but for whatever reason, he says no.
What kind of player introduction are we talking about? If it's the creation of a place or NPC, that's not the player's job in D&D, so saying no isn't "Mother May I" or Railroading. It's simply playing a traditional game.
This is too simplistic.

In Dungeon World the creation of places or NPCs is (generally) not the player's job. See Discern Realities and Spout Lore above - it is the GM who establishes the new fiction. But the GM is absolutely expected to have regard to player intention and desire in doing that, as [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] explained in some detail upthread.

5e D&D doesn't state clear principles like DW (I state the edition deliberately, because 4e D&D does have generally clear principles that aren't wildly different from DW) - but for that very reason there is no rule or principle in 5e D&D that precludes a GM from having regard to player interest and desire in deciding what new content to introduce.

And I think that is the underlying context for [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION]'s question - given that nothing in D&D obliges a GM to disregard player interest and desire in introducing new content; and given that at least some D&D players might want a GM who is introducing new content to have regard to their interests and desires in respect of the developing fiction; what are your thoughts on a GM who nevertheless proceeds from time-to-time without having such regard?

(For what's it worth, I don't think appeals to tradition help here. Tradition doesn't mandate paying no regard to player interests and desires in establishing content. Traditionally, also, players have been able to establish facts about their PCs' ancestry, early life, etc - the Puffin book What is Dungeons & Dragons was published in 1982, and it says (p 23) that PC details may include an "imaginary background, invented by the player, detailing the character's life up to the start of the campaign".)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases