Stats. Hate them ? Love them ? Think they can be better ? Or an outdated concept ?

Jhaelen

First Post
With respect, Jhaelen, all you've described is a differing methodology for gaining knowledge. Whether one uses the scientific method or one is merely told, sorting information into factual and false is what the intelligent mind does.
Well, yes and no. If someone is sceptical of something that is presented to them as fact and takes steps to verify them, then intelligence is part of the equation. But in reality isn't that an exception rather than the rule? Most facts are believed without questioning them, typically because the source is trusted. Such facts are usually only questioned once someone (repeatedly) encounters evidence that they might be wrong.

Perhaps this is just a matter of opinion, but I've always felt that there are two very different types of learning:
1) the first requires knowledge of only a few basic facts and rules, which is mostly used in the sciences and especially in math, i.e. you need to actually understand the principles and be able to apply them to similar problems.
2) the second type requires an ability to memorize vast amounts of data. Good examples for areas where this is important are history, geography, and to a large degree foreign languages.

The first kind requires a certain degree of intelligence, the second doesn't. I suppose, intelligence _can_ help with the latter, because recognizing patterns can make memorizing facts easier, but I don't think, it's an actual requirement.

To try to give an example that may be useful from a Fantasy RPG perspective:
An apprentice learning a spell from a tutor doesn't have to be intelligent. It's just a matter of memorizing and flawlessly repeating it.
Inventing a new spell (that may or may not share some aspects of a spell already known) does require intelligence.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, I think it's just 2 sides of the same coin.

As for your FRPG perspective, the truth of it really depends on the setting/system's rules of magic. In some, mere rote memorization and recital is sufficient to being a spellcaster, and no real intelligence beyond sentience is required.

In others, understanding the incantations is required.

Or an innate spark of magic based on ancestry is a necessary prerequisite.

Etc.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
We're not talking about "ability scores", though. We're talking about "stats". A "stat" is any sort of number that you can use to quantify what something can do.

Looking thought many other posters on this thread, it seems we are talking about ability scores.

If we're not, then yes, FATE does use numbers of some sort.

But it really looks like we are.

Blue

[MENTION=6699239]Lastoutkast[/MENTION], can you clarify if you are talking about ability scores or about a system have any numerical parts used to judge tasks at all?

We're getting into a bit of a back-and-forth in the thread because we disagree what you are asking about. This is the easiest way to clear it up.

Lastoutkast

First Post
[MENTION=6699239]Lastoutkast[/MENTION], can you clarify if you are talking about ability scores or about a system have any numerical parts used to judge tasks at all?

We're getting into a bit of a back-and-forth in the thread because we disagree what you are asking about. This is the easiest way to clear it up.

Of course. I was simply seeing what the opinions where on stats as a concept for character development and mechanics. I'm striving to write something that's the best of both worlds of storytelling and encounter combat. To me it's all about how to make the character "you". I know that using numbers is a strong way to go but I want to do my research first. So again thanks everyone :)

Blue

Of course. I was simply seeing what the opinions where on stats as a concept for character development and mechanics. I'm striving to write something that's the best of both worlds of storytelling and encounter combat. To me it's all about how to make the character "you". I know that using numbers is a strong way to go but I want to do my research first. So again thanks everyone :)

This didn't quite answer the question.

When you said "stats", were you talking about ability scores, or any & all numbers associated with a character?

To try to give an example that may be useful from a Fantasy RPG perspective:
An apprentice learning a spell from a tutor doesn't have to be intelligent. It's just a matter of memorizing and flawlessly repeating it.
Inventing a new spell (that may or may not share some aspects of a spell already known) does require intelligence.

That reminds me of Ars Magicka. Casting a spell you've learned actually uses Constitution/Stamina (whatever they call it in that system), while spontaneously creating a spell uses Intelligence.

It was a very innovative game. The biggest problem I had with it is that spontaneously created spells were extremely weak, so it seems to encourage you to use learned spells for most things, and just make up cantrips, so to speak. So in actual play Intelligence wasn't that important of a stat for a wizard...which just isn't thematically right to me.

Jhaelen

First Post
That reminds me of Ars Magicka. Casting a spell you've learned actually uses Constitution/Stamina (whatever they call it in that system), while spontaneously creating a spell uses Intelligence.
Ars Magica is actually one of my favorite RPG systems, so it has definitely influenced my thinking.
In Ars Magica you need to have 'The Gift' in order to be able to cast spells, but it's a binary trait, not a stat. It also comes with a negative side-effect, a kind of 'magical air' that mundane people can sense and makes them uneasy.

There are ways to create a more powerful spontaneous magus by picking a couple of advantages, but it's basically a function of the magical theories that form the framework of the 'universal' magical system as it was first formulated by Bonisagus, the Founder that Formulaic Magic is the default. IIRC, it was House Diedne's influence (a now extinct druidic magical tradition) that actually made it possible to cast spells spntaneously. Without them, there'd probably only be formulaic spells that are derived from the ritualistic magic that was used by the roman traditions of the Cult of Mercury.

In Ars Magica 5e there's also rules for something even cooler:
With research and experimentation it's possible to achieve a breakthrough and break one of the limits of magic!
This is also how different magical traditions can be incorporated into the 'universal' magical system that the Order of Hermes is using.

Ah, Ars Magica! It's _such_ a marvelous system! Imho, everyone looking for inspirations regarding things magical should check it out :)

pemerton

Legend
Stats seem to be at the center of most rpgs, but do we need them ? Are they important to how a character is " seen " or is it something we keep carrying on from other roleplaying systems because that is what we have always done. Can they be better ? I'm not looking at any one system to change but wondering what your feelings on stats are.
Do you think we could do better than standard 6 stat setup ? If so what would add or take away ? For example a friend of mine hates how wisdom and intelligence are not just one stat.
I have played systems that use ability scores, but not the D&D ones (eg Traveller: STR, DEX, END(urance), INT, EDUC(ation), Social Standing; Runequest and other BPR games: STR, CON, SIZ(e), DEX, INT, POW(er = magical ability), APP(earance); Rolemaster: STR, CON, AG(ility), QU(ickness), RE(asoning), ME(mory), Self Discipline, PR(esence), EM(pathy), IN(tuition); Burning Wheel: Power (= STR), Forte (= CON), Speed (= the init/defence/stealth parts of DEX), Agility (= the attack/sleight of hand parts of DEX); Will; Perception (also includes INT); maybe others I'm forgetting).

In these games, ability scores do different things: in RM mostly they generate bonuses that add to skill checks (rarely does the ability score, or its associated bonus, come into play on its own); in Traveller they sometimes grant bonuses or penalties to skill checks and sometimes are relevant on their own, and the physical stats also serve as hit points; in RQ they generate bonuses for skills but also come into play in other ways; in BW they can be used to make checks, and they also determine starting scores for skills, but they don't themselves affect skill checks. In BW they also determine ability to withstand damage, as each wound imposes a penalty to all checks, and if the penalty would reduce an ability score to zero then the character is out of action.

I think stats are quite useful, but some RPGs can do without.
E.g. I recall that the 'Over the Edge' only uses descriptive traits, which is perfectly fine and fitting for the kind of open, everything-goes setting it represents.
I think Over the Edge may have been one of the first "free desriptor" RPGs. (How did Toon work?)

HeroWars/Quest is similar. So is Marvel Heroic RP - although the descriptors aren't completley open-ended, there is no default set of ability scores (eg a characer only has STR or Stamina listed if it is a noteworthy super power).

In these games, there is a default rule for making checks if no relevant descriptor is relevant to the action declaration but the check is still possible for an untrained person to attempt. (Eg in MHRP there will be other contributors to the dice pool; in OtE the default, from memory, is 2 dice.)

I think it is because it is natural for people to unconsciously (or consciously) rate other people in personal characteristics. We are aware of how physical, brainy, charming, etc people are, and it informs how we feel about them, how we interact with them, what we expect of them, etc.

While mechanical implementation can be done in a variety of ways, if it isn't there, the system seems hollow in some ways. Let's say you have a system where you only define your character in terms of specific words you ascribe to them, with no standard attributes. Okay, it seems cool as far as it goes. It highlights what you feel is important about that character. But if you like to really get into character and project yourself into the fiction in a first person sort of way and want to have your character "look around" so to speak, you are going to want to know what certain other characters are like in standard ways. Does the system just assume that everyone without a particular descriptor such as "Strong as an ox" or "atheletic and graceful" is unremarkable?
Yes and no.

If some particualr trait is not called out via descriptor, then it does not affect the character's action resolution.

An example relevant to MHRP would be Batroc the Leaper's moustache. The game has no "facial hair" stat (of the top of my head I don't know of any RPG that does) - but that doesn't mean that Batroc's moustache is unremarkable. It is just called out in the picture or description, much like Prof X's baldness and wheelchair.

In D&D pre-5e there is no stat for telling you whether a person is down-to-earth or cultivated in demeanour, but that hasn't stopped such properties of people being parts of PC and NPC descriptions and being relevant to the play of the game.

Or to give another example: RM has stats for hand and foot size, but D&D doesn't; that doesn't mean all D&D PCs have the same-sized feet.

I don't think the idea that if it's not called out in numbers, it isn't salient in the fiction has ever been true in RPGing. If it's not called out in numbers, it is more likely to be merely colour rather than a component in action resolution, but that's a different thing.

Remove ads