D&D 5E Blog Post by Robert J. Schwalb

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
And is that what we do at EN World? Reinforce the bad stereotype?

The blog post went out of this way to accomodate everyone, stating upfront that there was no right or worng way to play, and gave us a glimpse on the thought process of one of the early developers of 5e (who worked for the two previous editions). But all the careful wording to avoid ruffling feathers wrongly gets ignored, and a few posters latch onto a soundbite here and there to fuel a mini edition warring, as if the editions themselves (and their fans) were under attack.

They weren't.

It's great that people are passionate about this hobby enough to read a blog post and discuss it. But this is not a competition to see who's right, and it's certainly not an edition war.

This.

Just because one person likes one thing and dislikes something else, that shouldn't mean they need to expect attacks from the entitled dregs of the Internet. I dislike half the sports out there, but my stating that doesn't mean I'm somehow insulting them or the people that participate or enjoy watching them.

The guy posted some words that many of us were very happy to see, as it gave us hope that a game we once loved might be returning to its roots rather than evolving further into something completely different. Anyone that doesn't like that has plenty of other options, but sending insults shouldn't be one of them.

Perhaps it's time to stop acknowledging that this is just the way people will be, and start expressing some disgust at their behavior.

Emerikol

Adventurer
I think it's a big over reaction by a group of people who've practically made a business out of over reacting. Any statement no matter how much it's couched as opinion is attacked if it bears criticism of the edition that will remain unnamed.

In RJS's case, I'm not sure it's not a case of all publicity is good publicity. A lot of people now know about his blog. I've met RJS a few times and he has been nothing but gracious towards me even knowing my antagonism towards wotc at the time. He didn't seem to have a mean bone in his body.

I've seen some major fallacies in the way people think on a few issues. Just because it's theoretically possible to play a game in a certain way does not mean the game encourages that playstyle and it could still be true that it in fact discourages it. You would have to analyze the impact on a typical player instead of using your own experience or that of your group. You might be exceptional and I mean that in a positive way.

pemerton

Legend
The problem with his comment, for me, and why I wouldn't XP it (despite agreeing with you on most things) is that he appears to be suggesting that prior to the 3E/4E, D&D didn't have rules where the PCs got to tell the DM what to do, that it was always "mother may I".

That's completely untrue, of course.

D&D absolutely DID have those rules. They were just strictly for people who could cast spells.

<snip>

Final bit of icing on the cake is Libramarian talking about how D&D is a "social game" and thus no-one should be engaging in "power fantasy escapism", but that's nonsensical in the context of what's being said, because in 1/2/3E, anyone playing a Mage and getting past about level 9, got to engage in "power fantasy escapism" pretty mucha ll the time, and I have no doubt that, even with their reductions in power, 5E casters will continue to be able to engage in "power fantasy escapism".
I don't dissent from any of this.

I don't necessarily agree with [MENTION=6688858]Libramarian[/MENTION] on this, or on other things - and Libramarian often doesn't agree with me - but I like Libramarian's frank characterisations of classic D&D play.

I also suspect that Libramarian doesn't play at name level, thereby avoiding some of the issues with high-level mages.

in 4E, I didn't go on the run, as a DM, I went on the attack. It was the first edition where I could unveil my full powers.

<snip>

In 4E, with it's balanced encounters, and the PCs ALL able to dictate what happened a lot of the time, I could suddenly go flat out, go tactical, try to win in a way which would have likely wiped the PCs out in earlier editions. That was huge fun for me.
I like the bit where she/he says " I feel that at some point the purpose for the rules in D&D changed from “helping the DM put pressure on the players” to “helping the players put pressure on the DM”." I guess it reminds me of the thing I like about 3rd and especially 4th ed: rules and mechanics that as a player I can reliably use to influence the game. But also 4th ed upped the ante (and complexity, obviously) for all parties, with the types of powers that monsters that 4th ed put at the disposal of DMs in combat, and in other circumstances through skill challenges, etc.
This is what I was trying to get at in my comments under the quote from Libramarian: I think that "modern" games, including 4e, give the GM different techniques for putting pressure on the players. Because players have reliable mechanical resources not just for engaging the gameworld, but for tackling conflicts in the gameworld, the GM can frame and then push those conflicts without being "adversarial" in the traditional sense.

the game's math informs adventures and directs the storytelling.
I think this is definitely true for 4e. But my sense from the Libramarian comment I posted upthread, plus [MENTION=66434]ExploderWizard[/MENTION] in this thread, is that there is an approach to classic D&D which denies it. In this approach, the "storytelling" unfolds by free roleplaying, and the dice only come out if the free roleplaying has broken down. (At least on the player side. The GM might be using dice to determine reactions, roll wandering monsters, etc.)

I've never played in this other (non-maths) style, even though I started playing in 1982, because it emphasises exploration over conflict whereas I've always been more interested in conflict than exploration. Eg the idea that is "good play" to avoid fights doesn't work for me, because I tend to find that style boring at the table.

Thinking to look behind the wardrobe. No.
The old way of searching involved interacting with the setting.

<snip>

The modern game that skips the "boring" stuff revolves almost exclusively with interacting with the mechanics.
I am not very interested in exploration, and not at all interested in searchind wardrobes. Wake me up when the game restarts! The sort of gameworld fiction I find interesting is the passions, politics, alliances, mythic history etc that underlies and explains the NPCs and gods of the setting.

But even then, for me the main goal of play isn't for the players (via their PCs) just to learn this stuff. The goal is for the players to engage with it and change it. Which requires resolution mechanics.

The idea that engaging the mechanics doesn't involve interacting with the setting is foreign to me, for just the reason that [MENTION=11821]Obryn[/MENTION] gives in the post of his I quoted above.

How much you tilt towards player skill vs character skill is a dial
The "modern" style of RPGing that underpins 4e (at least as played by those who see its affinities to even more modern games like HeroWars/Quest, Marvel Heroic RP, Dungeon World etc) doesn't distinguish these two things. Part of the skill of being a player is to leverage the ingame situation so as to bring your mechanical resources to bear upon it.

For instance, if your PC is good at Intimidation but not Diplomacy then part of the skill of playing is learning how to take advantage of angry, scared PCs rather than friendly ones. (And also knowing when it is sensible to use your weaker skill because you need the NPC in question to be friendly.)

He never says that you can't be clever, he says that the game doesn't reward that. Which is true. DM's reward clevering thinking. Or rather, good DMs reward clever thinking. The game however does not have rules for clever thinking.
Maybe we have different criteria for what counts as clever thinking. I can't speak for 3E, which I've not played very much, but I find 4e does reward clever thinking. In skill challenges, players need to find clever ways to bring their skills to bear upon the fictional situation. In a combat, players need to find clever ways to synergise the PCs' range of abilities.

Also, the relative universality of the resolution mechanics (via skill challenges and p 42) means that there is no pressure on the GM to block clever ideas because there is no mechanical way to give effect to them.

pemerton

Legend
I think the whole existence of Theoretical Character Optimization (a term I see on other boards, not around here) is a counterpoint. Plus, there are people who love the game, but simply don't have groups to play with, and so spend their time working on making characters instead.
The latter group, though, don't treat the rules as an end in themselves, do they? Nor eschew play. They would play if they could.

The charop people you might be right about. I've always assumed that they like to play, and that the charop stuff is a sideline. Maybe I'm wrong - in which case the bit in my post about not knowing them is still true (I spend very little time on charop boards) but I might just be generalising wrongly from my own experience!

It seems to me that "I want to just roll to search and skip to the next encounter" vs "I cleverly hid the clue and don't want the players just rolling and spoil my fun" is not a right-vs-wrong issue as it is a playstyle mismatch. The DM wanted to provide a clever puzzle for the adventurers to solve (or fail to) and the players aren't interested in that kind of game.

For classic dungeon crawling, I agree that "I rolled a 19" takes the fun out of dungeon design for the DM. If your players are looking for fearless monster stomping or "passion, politics and mythic history" the DM should not be forcing them through the Tomb of Horrors.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=607]Klaus[/MENTION] and others:

I think it's one thing to say "I enjoyed 2nd ed AD&D more than 3E or 4e." Even to say "And that's because I found the 2nd ed play more creative." But the post says:

Clever play now occurs in isolation. The player earns the greatest reward not from having a good idea at the table or thinking to look behind the wardrobe and finding a magic item, but from the discovery of a winning combination of mechanics . . . The prize for being the best player goes not to the creative mind, the cunning tactician, the burgeoning actor, but to the best mathematician.​

That is not just talking about personal preferences and experiences. It's talking about other people, and generating implications about their roleplaying. It's not surprising that people who think it's an unfair description of their roleplaying are going to post comments - particularly when the remark comes from a prominent and respected designer.

pemerton

Legend
For classic dungeon crawling, I agree that "I rolled a 19" takes the fun out of dungeon design for the DM. If your players are looking for fearless monster stomping or "passion, politics and mythic history" the DM should not be forcing them through the Tomb of Horrors.
This is true. I would hope it goes without saying, in fact!

Other comparable points of contrast could be drawn, too. For some players there is a huge difference between a power-up that is framed in in-game terms ("My guy found a staff of the magic behind the wardrobe") and a power-up that is framed in mostly metagame terms ("Look at my guy's new feat loadout after levelling"). For others it makes little difference. For these latter players, 4e is probably a better fit (everything else being equal) than classic D&D. But the idea the latter group of players is less clever or less creative is risible!

Emerikol

Adventurer
The "modern" style of RPGing that underpins 4e (at least as played by those who see its affinities to even more modern games like HeroWars/Quest, Marvel Heroic RP, Dungeon World etc) doesn't distinguish these two things. Part of the skill of being a player is to leverage the ingame situation so as to bring your mechanical resources to bear upon it.

Who could argue that deployment of abilities requires skill? I also agree that tactical choices require skill if the game facilitates the right choices. And to a degree I'm not against some of that in the games I play.

On the flip side, I believe the conversation about player skill vs character skill is really about strategic planning and preparation vs correct deployment of powers and abilities. It's also about problem solving at a level where the players thinking and his characters thinking is practically identical. Puzzles for example.

Again I don't want to denigrate any of these options as they really are not mutually exclusive. I do believe though a game can so focus on one aspect of play that others get neglected. That can be a DM fault and/or a game fault.

I think part of what went wrong imho with 3e and 4e is that the game became to regimented. Not because it had to but because it did encourage certain DM behaviors.

1. CR. In the old days monsters appeared organic to the setting and environment. PCs were never assured of a fair fight. Encounter balance was not even a concept.

2. Killing wasn't rewarded nearly as much. Finding a way to steal the treasure was often better than killing your way to it.

3. Because of #1 PCs didn't fight fair. The tried to get every possible edge they could get before fighting.

Could you run a newer edition game the same way? Sure and many of us did. The game though spent a lot of time teaching DMs to be fair and to balance encounters. So it didn't encourage that form of play.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
That is not just talking about personal preferences and experiences. It's talking about other people, and generating implications about their roleplaying. It's not surprising that people who think it's an unfair description of their roleplaying are going to post comments - particularly when the remark comes from a prominent and respected designer.

But maybe that's the view of the hobby from his position and from the feedback he's received over the years. And if that is the case, and I have no reason to think he is insincere, then that is a pretty depressing state of affairs. But of course, that would be the average game. A composite impression. Individual games, of course, will vary.

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
Klaus and others:

I think it's one thing to say "I enjoyed 2nd ed AD&D more than 3E or 4e." Even to say "And that's because I found the 2nd ed play more creative." But the post says:
Clever play now occurs in isolation. The player earns the greatest reward not from having a good idea at the table or thinking to look behind the wardrobe and finding a magic item, but from the discovery of a winning combination of mechanics . . . The prize for being the best player goes not to the creative mind, the cunning tactician, the burgeoning actor, but to the best mathematician.​

I do see your point. However, I felt the above extract referred more to modern game systems than to players. Sure, many of us just throw out or house-rule over the parts that encourage math over roleplay, but the fact remains many modern systems have included more and more rules that - intentionally or not - provide a greater reward for the player that generated their character sheet to fit a mathematical model rather than making choices around a fictional concept. You see a criticism of players here, while I only see a criticism of systems.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases