You're doing what? Surprising the DM

Hussar

Legend
And therein lies the issue. Many of us perceive the desert surrounding City B as a valid and relevant complication directly linked to the things the players want to do in City B. Equally relevant to, say, a siege, or having to investigate, once in the city, to locate the person, place or thing we came here to interact with. We perceive the hiring of mercenaries as being directly relevant to revenge on the Grell - that has been set exclusively by the players - and so we perceive the relevance of challenges in such hiring being self-evident.

And, thus, the difference in playstyles. You want a much more sim approach to a game, where the players should play out every scene where there is a chance of failure. We interact with the desert because the desert is there. It's on the map the DM has, and we have to interact with it. We have to play out hiring the mercenaries because, as you say, it would make very little sense to not play it out - these are "real people".

To me, none of this is true. The desert is not relevant to the city just because of geography. The players have nothing invested in the desert, so, skip the desert. The players, not the DM, determine what is relevant and what is not. At least, in the way I want to play. Sorry, don't want to be accused of trying to generalize here.

If the players started making the desert relevant - by asking questions, by expending resources, by directly stating they want to explore the desert - then fine. Go for it. But, when the players present the DM with a means (not a perfect means, but at least a plausible one) of skipping the desert and then show zero interest in the desert itself, then my advice is to skip the desert.

Random giant scorpions in the desert are not relevant to the city. The players have indicated that they are invested in the city and not the desert, thus, don't bomb in random giant scorpions.

The back stories of six hirelings that are meant to be around for one scene is not something that the players are interested in. If they were interested, they would ask. They would initiate things. They would start talking to the hirelings. If they don't, then they likely don't care and just go with the basic, Warrior 1 hirelings that they ask for and get to the stuff that they have clearly stated they WANT to be engaged in - defeating the grell. And, yes, if the grell surrendered that would probably be fine. At least the grell is there to be interacted with. Ten thousand times better than spending significant table time interviewing a bunch of random NPC's and then the grell has left the building.

JC said:
Hussar wanted to skip the desert. That was his goal. The fact that the GM mentioned Ride checks, etc. was just following the rules. However, Hussar wanted to skip the desert before those bits came up. He wanted to skip the desert because "the desert isn't relevant to his goals." That is the entire reason that he summoned the centipede.

My point is that, barring context, you cannot make that claim, nor can you logically state the a siege is always related the his goals inside the city, no matter what (as he has claimed). I'm not seeing the inherent difference, yet. As always, play what you like

The desert around Las Vegas is not particularly relevant to my wanting to gamble in Las Vegas. The zombie horde surrounding Las Vegas really is relevant. Even if the siege has nothing to do with our goals within the city, there's no escaping that the siege is going to play into our plans for the city.

There is no way the desert becomes a time factor for the city. At least, not until we interact with the desert. And we have no reason to interact with the desert. None. There is nothing invested for the characters. Yes, you can add in things after the fact. But nothing changes the fact that it's the DM forcing this on the players. It's entirely reactive. The players showed no interest in interacting with the desert and actually showed the opposite - wanting to cross the desert in the most expeditious way possible.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
The players have nothing invested in the desert, so, skip the desert. The players, not the DM, determine what is relevant and what is not.
But the GM is framing these scenes based on what the players want. So far, all I know is "the desert is relevant because [mumble], but the siege is relevant because [it's at the city?]." I just don't have enough to go on to even set up scenes that they might want to engage in.

As far as the NPCs, deer HP, etc., that's crystal clear to me. We play differently, but I totally get it. I just don't get the difference, above, yet.
At least, in the way I want to play. Sorry, don't want to be accused of trying to generalize here.
I appreciate the effort. Thanks.
If the players started making the desert relevant - by asking questions, by expending resources, by directly stating they want to explore the desert - then fine. Go for it. But, when the players present the DM with a means (not a perfect means, but at least a plausible one) of skipping the desert and then show zero interest in the desert itself, then my advice is to skip the desert.
Okay. I wouldn't bypass the rules for it, most of the time, but I get the spirit of what you're saying.
Random giant scorpions in the desert are not relevant to the city. The players have indicated that they are invested in the city and not the desert, thus, don't bomb in random giant scorpions.
Okay. But that's not the example I gave. Once again, you're comparing a siege ("must be tied to our goals; no way for it not to be") for the city, and something entirely and purposefully irrelevant for the desert ("random scorpions!").

To me, the random scorpions are just as relevant in the desert as they are at the gates; they both threaten to stop you from achieving your goals, but, otherwise, have nothing really to do with your goals. The same goes for a "siege" in the desert (what pemerton called my example of nomads in the desert), or a siege at the city walls.

The relevance of each is entirely in the hands of the GM either way, in that he can decide how much it ties into the party's goals. The party can then change their goals, making it irrelevant, sure. But, the GM, when he describes the scene, sets the relevance to the party's current goals.
The back stories of six hirelings that are meant to be around for one scene is not something that the players are interested in. If they were interested, they would ask. They would initiate things. They would start talking to the hirelings. If they don't, then they likely don't care and just go with the basic, Warrior 1 hirelings that they ask for and get to the stuff that they have clearly stated they WANT to be engaged in - defeating the grell. And, yes, if the grell surrendered that would probably be fine. At least the grell is there to be interacted with. Ten thousand times better than spending significant table time interviewing a bunch of random NPC's and then the grell has left the building.
I do get this one. I just don't get any inherent difference between the desert and the city other than backdrop. Admittedly, that backdrop might have other effects on how the game unfolds, but the relevance (or irrelevance) is inherently the same, from what I can tell.
The desert around Las Vegas is not particularly relevant to my wanting to gamble in Las Vegas.
Okay, so it's about your goal. Gambling in Las Vegas.
The zombie horde surrounding Las Vegas really is relevant.
Yes, this prevents you from gambling in Las Vegas. I get how it is relevant.
Even if the siege has nothing to do with our goals within the city, there's no escaping that the siege is going to play into our plans for the city.
That is usually true. The guy in charge of the siege might let you through, only allow certain people in/out, or whatever. For all we know, the siege could be an effective quarantine, and you can go in, but not out. We really can give it whatever context we want, just like the desert. You could even just fly over it, like Celebrim brought up pages ago, and never interact with it.
There is no way the desert becomes a time factor for the city. At least, not until we interact with the desert. And we have no reason to interact with the desert. None. There is nothing invested for the characters.
But, like the siege, you can add stuff that makes it relevant to the characters.
Yes, you can add in things after the fact. But nothing changes the fact that it's the DM forcing this on the players. It's entirely reactive.
The GM is forcing the siege on the players, too, and what they do is entirely reactive... isn't it?
The players showed no interest in interacting with the desert and actually showed the opposite - wanting to cross the desert in the most expeditious way possible.
That's true. So we know that it is there preference. I just can't figure out why, yet. I've offered "is it the backdrop [of at the city's walls, rather than the desert]?", but that hasn't seemed to be it. Trouble is, outside of that, I'm seeing the same logic offered by you and pemerton applied to one example, and then different logic applied to the other. And that makes it hard for me to figure out why your group has the preferences it does. As always, play what you like :)

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
See, you've changed my "goal in the city" to "goal is the city" again. I can't respond to this without pointing you back to my post where I explicitly explained that the goal is inside the city
At which point I point you back to my post where I indicated that you're running together the ingame and the metagame.

The PCs' goal is in the city. The players' goal is to have a fun game engaging with their PCs' goal. That means interacting with the city in various ways to realise the goal.

My point is that, barring context, you cannot make that claim, nor can you logically state the a siege is always related the his goals inside the city, no matter what (as he has claimed). I'm not seeing the inherent difference, yet.
The context is this: a siege, per se, is a (relational) property of the city, and hence a resource that the players, via their PCs with, can interact with and leverage to affect the city.

A desert is this only if they are such high level casters that eg they can conjure up all it sands in a giant sandstorm that strips the city building bare revealing their goal in plain sight. Short of that, the desert is not per se a resource that the players can leverage to engage with the city.

I guess both a pit trap at the start of a dungeon, and the armour on the black knight in the centre of the dungeon, are obstacles to defeating the black knight, but for a group whose goal is to engage the black knight it's pretty clear to me why the pit trap might be an annoying distractin but the armour not. There's a reason that DM advice books spend more ink cautioning against more-or-less random traps than they do against armouring the black knight.

The desert is not relevant to the city just because of geography. The players have nothing invested in the desert, so, skip the desert. The players, not the DM, determine what is relevant and what is not. At least, in the way I want to play. Sorry, don't want to be accused of trying to generalize here.

<snip>

The back stories of six hirelings that are meant to be around for one scene is not something that the players are interested in. If they were interested, they would ask. They would initiate things. They would start talking to the hirelings. If they don't, then they likely don't care

<snip>

The players showed no interest in interacting with the desert and actually showed the opposite - wanting to cross the desert in the most expeditious way possible.
[MENTION=6681948]N'raac[/MENTION], this is the answer to your question.

You can tell the players aren't invested in the desert crossing because they're doing their best to make it take as little time and effort at the table as possible.

Assuming you as GM wanted to run this sort of game, I can only see that there would be a problem if you couldn't recognise when your players were enthusiastic or unenthusiastic.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
So we know that it is there preference. I just can't figure out why, yet. I've offered "is it the backdrop [of at the city's walls, rather than the desert]?", but that hasn't seemed to be it. Trouble is, outside of that, I'm seeing the same logic offered by you and pemerton applied to one example, and then different logic applied to the other.
The siege is a feature of the city, like it's building or walls or inhabitants. It provides a potential resource for the players in engaging with the city.

In at least this respect, and possibly some others, it is quite different from the wasteland surrounding the city.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
In true video game style, we ran through several rooms, agroing a bunch of monsters. We slowed down just enough to keep the ones in the back interested. Then lead them into an ambush where the bard had gone with all our gold to hire every townsperson who had a crossbow, spear, halberd, or sword. The town got to fight and solve their own problems.

Sailed into a pirate port. Dumped our barely skilled crew on the docks and hired the best trained crew we could.

X always played a paladin. His paladins were always cowards of the basest magnitude. They always got killed. But he always insisted on playing a paladin. This looked no different. No. This time, he's doing it. He's rallying the townsfolk to arms. He is getting involved in tactics. He is letting his shiney armor and massive sword be a beacon of hope. The enemy host arrives at the gates. He's around here somewhere. The enemy is trounced. Where was X? He was long gone. With the town treasury. Not a paladin this time: a thief with high charisma.

Pick the governor's pocket. Pick pockets to put the treasure into the pouch of an NPC we didn't like. "Excuse me, your Lordship, but I believe that man over there has your property in his back hip pouch."

Star Wars game. trying to get to the hero of a TV holovid show. We pull up in a landspeeder. "Hi. Sorry we're late. We're your stunt doubles."
Also Star Wars. Trying to escape in a corvette from the Star Destroyer. We were going to buzz the ship, fire at it, and try to escape. Pilot said "Ram the bridge." "What?" "Ramming Speed!!!!!!" That was the end of that party. But at least we incapacitated the star destroyer.
Another star wars game. Y and Z were rebel agents. U was a bounty hunter. Z was being a total (expletive). During the escape, Z was knocked out. U turned him in to the Imps for the bounty.
Party captured. My character and rebel agent KO'd. Bounty hunter "OK, I have a bounty on you for the ship, and this one is a Rebel agent. Who is this guy?" Wookie pilot "Oh, he's nobody. You can kill him." Bounty hunter shrugs. "OK." blam. Well, that could have gone better...
Followed by the time the wussy TK pulled the pins from the grenades the warlord wore on bandoliers.
Explosive decompression onto the VIP lounge of an IMP transport. Watch the bodies float past. Watch the stormtroopers watch the bodies float past.

Breaking into a National Guard armory and stealing the stinger missiles while the other half of the party broke into a biker store and made off with tons of biker leather while invisible, playing Sorceror's Apprentice. Then selling the stinger missiles to some bikers in the next town to help them "express their dissatisfaction" to the law and other biker gangs. Thus we perpetrated massive federal manhunt for the biker gang who was out to cheat us anyway. Amazingly, that gang had problems with the National Guard, the FBI, and a couple of other agencies for years. And we profited from their attempt to exploit us.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
At which point I point you back to my post where I indicated that you're running together the ingame and the metagame.
And I point you back to my response to that.
The PCs' goal is in the city. The players' goal is to have a fun game engaging with their PCs' goal. That means interacting with the city in various ways to realise the goal.
Probably. The city seemed to be "just setting" to Hussar, and not "plot", as he described it. He explicitly doesn't care about "setting". He only cares about what's "relevant" and part of the "plot". If your siege is unrelated to the goal, then it's just a roadblock. Like the desert.
The context is this: a siege, per se, is a (relational) property of the city, and hence a resource that the players, via their PCs with, can interact with and leverage to affect the city.
Well, Hussar doesn't care about the city' that's setting. He cares about the goal inside the city. But, yes, if the GM sets the siege up that way, yes. Like a desert encounter could be.
A desert is this only if they are such high level casters that eg they can conjure up all it sands in a giant sandstorm that strips the city building bare revealing their goal in plain sight. Short of that, the desert is not per se a resource that the players can leverage to engage with the city.
This has now morphed to "only a desert" instead of an engaging and relevant nomad encounter. Please, can we try to make them both relevant? That's what you suggest GMs do, I believe. Let's at least use the hypotheticals that way.
I guess both a pit trap at the start of a dungeon, and the armour on the black knight in the centre of the dungeon, are obstacles to defeating the black knight, but for a group whose goal is to engage the black knight it's pretty clear to me why the pit trap might be an annoying distractin but the armour not. There's a reason that DM advice books spend more ink cautioning against more-or-less random traps than they do against armouring the black knight.
Defeating the pit trap (bypassing it) is an obstacle on the way to the goal (defeating the black knight). The armor is part of the goal (defeating the black knight). It's not the same comparison. The siege is an obstacle on the way to the goal (the goal inside the city). In this case, the siege is much closer to the pit trap.

The siege is a feature of the city, like it's building or walls or inhabitants. It provides a potential resource for the players in engaging with the city.

In at least this respect, and possibly some others, it is quite different from the wasteland surrounding the city.
Yes, again, you're trying to make the desert irrelevant on purpose. You're trying to make it just sand. That's not what it has to be. I can craft a relevant encounter in the desert, and I can craft an irrelevant siege of the city. Or, I can do the reverse (like your examples seem to be).

But, I don't see how this relates to Hussar wanting to skip the desert for being irrelevant before he knew what the desert might hold (or if it was relevant). You can tell me the desert is "only sand" all you want, but it's not what I've been using as a comparison, and the "nomad" example has been being used for pages and pages now. I'm not going to change the parameters to accept your generalization when my example shows that it doesn't need to be that way. As always, play what you like :)

pemerton

Legend
The city seemed to be "just setting" to Hussar, and not "plot", as he described it. He explicitly doesn't care about "setting". He only cares about what's "relevant" and part of the "plot". If your siege is unrelated to the goal, then it's just a roadblock. Like the desert.
I prefer [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]'s account of his preferences to your account. Upthread, when the siege was first mentioned, I predicted that Hussar would not object to it. And that prediction was correct. The reason for my prediction was obvious to me, namely, that the siege speaks to Hussar's play desires (doing stuff in the city) in a way that the desert does not. And Hussar's own posts have borne out my reasoning.

If you want, I can upack some of those preferences. For instance, contrary to what you say, the city is (for the real Hussar) not just setting, but situation. The siege complicates that situation in an interesting way. The desert does not.

You may be able to construct, in your imagination, some pseudo-Hussar who would object to the siege as much as the desert but that would not correspond to the actual Hussar's preferences, and I don't yet have a clear handle on what motivates your pseudo-Hussar RPGer. Whereas the actual Hussar's motivations as an RPGer are completely clear to me - as shown by my ability to correctly predict the preferences that would flow from them.

you're trying to make the desert irrelevant on purpose.

<snip>

I don't see how this relates to Hussar wanting to skip the desert for being irrelevant before he knew what the desert might hold
The desert is not inherently part of the situation in the city. The siege is.

A player might cheerfully have his/her PC enter the desert, trusting in the GM to somehow connect it to the situation in the city. But the same player might even moreso want to cut straight to the known situation ie the city.

My preference, both as GM and player, is to cut to the situation. It is clear to me that Hussar is the same in that respect.

N'raac

First Post

I think what many of us don’t get (I know I don’t get it) is this seeming “proximity to the city” link. The only difference, fundamentally, between the desert and the siege is that we are closer to the goal.

Let’s add some detail to the example. We want to secure the blessings of, for purposes of an analogy, the Pope of our D&D world. We know that the Pope is in a city which lies within a desert which is across the ocean from us. In order to meet our goal (secure the blessing of the Pope), we need to:

1. Travel to a port;
  2. Hire or obtain passage on a ship;
  3. Travel on said ship to the other side of the ocean;
  4. Travel through the desert to the city;
  5. Travel within the city to the “Vatican”
  6. Secure an audience with the Pope;
  7. Persuade the Pope to give his blessing

Quick & dirty summary. The last is clearly the encounter we are focused on to achieve our goal, so that one is clearly relevant. The rest can be as relevant or cut scene as we want to make it. Travel to the port, across the ocean, through the desert and through the city can all include challenges between us and our destination. Hiring a ship and securing an audience may be a challenge equal to, or even greater than, securing a blessing once we have gained that audience. However, it seems like you and Hussar consider (a) through (d) worthwhile, and (e) through (g) relevant.

I can make (b) include the life story of the ship’s captain, and (f) include the life story of the secretary to the Pope, and it seems the latter would be relevant and the former not so. I can include encounters on the way to the port, over the ocean, through the desert and within the city, yet for some reason the last will be deemed “relevant” and the others not so. If I place a siege around the Vatican City, this is very relevant. Yet the exact same scene around the port, I expect, would be perceived negatively.

You classify the desert as “just geography”, but so are all the other buildings and occupants of the city – if I made the Pope a hermit on a remote mountain peak, you would not have to go through those distractions to secure your goal. All of these challenges can relate to the securing of the Pope’s blessing as much, or as little, as the GM designs them to be (and/or as player cleverness and creativity leverages them to be).

If the GM chooses to make it so. It could just as easily be designed to be an obstacle between the PC’s and the city, just like the desert before it, and nothing more. Get past the desert or you cannot get to the city. Get past the besieging force or you cannot get to the city. Both are part of the environment, or scenery, or backdrop, or whatever you choose to call it. Both have initial relevance only because getting to our goal requires getting past them. The scenes making up our efforts to get past them can be as relevant, or as irrelevant, as we design them to be.

Maybe the players, back at that port city, decide that securing that blessing would be easier if there are hundreds of believers at their backs, so they organize a pilgrimage of hundreds to take with them – they have made the port more directly useful in attaining their goals. Maybe the port is simply a backdrop dismissed with “you arrive at the port and hire a ship – mark off X gold”. But just as easily, the siege could be dismissed with “you arrive at the guard post and bribe the guard to let you pass to the city – mark off X gold”. Neither enjoys the intrinsic prima facie relevance you attribute to one but not the other.

The flaws in this analogy are addressed by JC. I see the siege more like a locked door at the chamber of the Black Knight, or just moving the pit trap to the hallway outside his door from the entry hall. It is closer geographically and nearer the desired encounter, but it is no more thematically linked, neither is it any more relevant to defeating the black knight. That scroll of Heat Metal we found three levels ago carried by a random monster, which our spellcaster reads off at the start of combat, is far more relevant to achieving our goal, despite the fact that the GM had not even created the Quest to Defeat the Black Knight when he randomly rolled up that scroll, and everyone at the table had forgotten it until half an hour ago when the player read down his character sheet looking for whether he had a silk or a hemp rope, and stumbled on it.

@N'raac, this is the answer to your question.

OK, let us proceed with the assertion that nothing is relevant until the players make it relevant. We will skip all that fails this definition of “relevant”, as you wish. Do we assume all the PC’s are relevant, or skip the ones Hussar is not acquainted with? He does not know about them, so I doubt he will ask question, expend resources or state that he wants to speak with them. But let’s assume he asks each player in turn about their character, so they pop into existence, fully formed, in game.

Now we have a handful of PC’s standing in nothingness, because the players have expressed no interest in any aspect of their surroundings. What next?

You can tell the players aren't invested in the desert crossing because they're doing their best to make it take as little time and effort at the table as possible.

I find that, when engaging in combat, the players try to take the opponent down using their abilities to resolve the combat with as little time and effort (and resource consumption) as possible. I do not take that to mean they aren’t invested in, or interested in, the combat. I take that as playing the characters as they would logically act. The PC’s, I suspect, have no desire to encounter a Kraken on their shipboard voyage, scorpions in the desert or an annoying functionary denying them access to the Pope. Yet, if they look up and say “Hey, we should seek the blessing of the Pope in our quest”, and the GM responds with “OK, you travel to a port, hire a ship, sail across the ocean, travel through the desert, secure an audience with the leader of your religion, persuade him of the merits of your Quest and he blesses it. Mark off 3,500 gp for all the travel costs and add 3 years to your ages”, the players are unlikely to see that as having been a great game session.

Yet they stated a goal, and they achieved it, with none of those distractions in between to bore them. As John Lennon said, though, life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans. My preference is a game with some life.

This has now morphed to "only a desert" instead of an engaging and relevant nomad encounter. Please, can we try to make them both relevant? That's what you suggest GMs do, I believe. Let's at least use the hypotheticals that way.

Exactly. It is “only a desert” exactly as the siege is “only a siege” and the city “only a bunch of streets, buildings and people”.

But, I don't see how this relates to Hussar wanting to skip the desert for being irrelevant before he knew what the desert might hold (or if it was relevant). You can tell me the desert is "only sand" all you want, but it's not what I've been using as a comparison, and the "nomad" example has been being used for pages and pages now. I'm not going to change the parameters to accept your generalization when my example shows that it doesn't need to be that way. As always, play what you like

Emphasis added

sheadunne

Explorer
Let’s add some detail to the example. We want to secure the blessings of, for purposes of an analogy, the Pope of our D&D world. We know that the Pope is in a city which lies within a desert which is across the ocean from us. In order to meet our goal (secure the blessing of the Pope), we need to:

1. Travel to a port;
  2. Hire or obtain passage on a ship;
  3. Travel on said ship to the other side of the ocean;
  4. Travel through the desert to the city;
  5. Travel within the city to the “Vatican”
  6. Secure an audience with the Pope;
  7. Persuade the Pope to give his blessing

I'll pipe in here for a quick add. It seems to me that the issue is that the desert in the previous examples is more akin to 3a where you're suddenly on an island in the ocean where you have to spend days sitting around waiting for a school of dolphins to appear and take you to the other side of the ocean. It wasn't part of the original sequence of events and appeared only because the players were trying to get to the city. I believe through the use of Plane Shift. The question is whether the island should be hand-waved because it wasn't part of the original sequence of events that lead to the player's goals.

I could be wrong though, but that's what I'm reading from the thread.

Carry on.

N'raac

First Post
I'll pipe in here for a quick add. It seems to me that the issue is that the desert in the previous examples is more akin to 3a where you're suddenly on an island in the ocean where you have to spend days sitting around waiting for a school of dolphins to appear and take you to the other side of the ocean. It wasn't part of the original sequence of events and appeared only because the players were trying to get to the city. I believe through the use of Plane Shift. The question is whether the island should be hand-waved because it wasn't part of the original sequence of events that lead to the player's goals.

I could be wrong though, but that's what I'm reading from the thread.

Seems like that could be some of the difference. I see the desert as an outgrowth of the use of Plane Shift to reach the city (being "you may not get here directly") and I would also view the island as an outgowth of complications in ship travel (oops - we sank the ship). In both cases, I would expect the players to indicate what they will do ("start walking/ride the centipede through the desert"; "build a signal fire and eat coconuts") and provide them with the next occurrence of note. If the desert/island are more or less irrelevant, that could easily be "after three hot, sandy weeks, you see the spires of the city in the distance", "after two weeks, you see a sail approaching" or "after three weeks of becoming steadily more tired of coconuts, you see a school of dolphins bobbing in the waves".

But I find the assumption the GM will insist on playing out irrelevant and boring aspects of the journey baffling.

I also note that Hussar has been pretty steady in his comments that he is bored, not that the rest of the players are bored (and if their exciting game bores Hussar, then moving on seems the mature choice) while Pemerton seems to assume the players are a hive mind, always in lockstep as to which aspects are worthy of their attention and which should be skipped, and it is only that GM who has not been assimilated and insists on running scene after scene that serve only to bore the poor players.

Remove ads