Dragonlance Stat the Dragonlance heroes

Not just Raistlin either. The ranger, Riverwind, was well below the level rangers start getting spells under 1st edition rules. In 5e he would have access to plot-breaking spells.

Pauln6

Hero
Not just Raistlin either. The ranger, Riverwind, was well below the level rangers start getting spells under 1st edition rules. In 5e he would have access to plot-breaking spells.

He'd have potential access, but spells known could probably mitigate that problem. I'm more torn over whether Goldmoon should have a couple of levels of Bard. If the bard spells could potentially be re-skinned to be fluffed as non-magical then I think the new version of bard could emulate her quite well. Maybe level 2 bard and level 2 cleric (with no functional focus) might work to prevent her being hamstrung by the plot.

oreofox

Explorer
She was full on Cleric in her 1e write-up, but she had no access to spells or anything else divine because plot. I honestly think Bard would be good, especially since her song within the Inn of the Last Home was what caused everything to go to crap. While that would possibly work with giving her the Entertainer background, that would cut her out from having the Noble background. Since Bards in 5e have nothing to do with thief (Bard wasn't a thing in the 1e phb, and in 2e they were a "subclass" of thief), I think that would work until they get to Xak Tsaroth and she finds the disks, then she can either multiclass into Cleric, or the disks are so powerful that it reforms her levels of Bard into Cleric.

Both Raistlin and Goldmoon have really strong magical items at the start. The Staff of Magius and the Blue Crystal Staff.

Dausuul

Legend
I second Enchantment for Raistlin's specialty. His spell selections were dominated by enchantment and evocation, and enchantment seems better suited to his manipulative nature. It also fits with his flashes of intense charisma and charm, despite a generally abrasive personality.

Don't know about warlock levels. Raistlin's power was his own; Fistandantilus gave him a hand from time to time, but it's hard to connect that bargain to any specific abilities of Raistlin's. Certainly he wasn't slinging Eldritch Blasts! I think he makes more sense as a straight wizard with a warlockish back story to justify a lousy Con score.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Raistlin really shows up the difference between 1st and 5th edition. Even a 1st level wizard in 5e rules can do more than 3rd level Raistlin could in 1st edition. I seem to recall that the module suggested the same player take both Raistlin and Caramon.

You could explain that away as being due to his illness, though.

Zardnaar

Legend
Most of them their stats can stay as is.

Goldmoon could have cleric levels. She just wouldn't be able to use most of her abilities. Life domain one powers return.

Rangers might need to switch to fighters with background. Most of the classes would be champions, thieves, and maybe invoker's.

None of them would be barbarians. 1E and 2E barbarians were very different.

A 5/5 fighter/mage I would probably convert as something like EK3/wizard 4.

Minor annoyance is modern D&D Elves basically suck with longswords despite it being a racial weapon.

I have the 2E stats if anyone wants them. IIRC they were copy and paste from 1E.
Some classes don't really fit in DL. Warlocks being one example.

Last edited:

oreofox

Explorer
The stats are the same from the original 1e adventures and their "DragonLance Classics" reprint in 2e. They also had 3e DragonLance versions, though they seemed a bit strange. Goldemoon was a "heathen cleric", Riverwind a barbarian3/ranger2, Laurana and Flint had NPC class levels. I'd probably base things off their 1e write-ups.

Zardnaar

Legend
The stats are the same from the original 1e adventures and their "DragonLance Classics" reprint in 2e. They also had 3e DragonLance versions, though they seemed a bit strange. Goldemoon was a "heathen cleric", Riverwind a barbarian3/ranger2, Laurana and Flint had NPC class levels. I'd probably base things off their 1e write-ups.

Same. Barbarian can also be a background in 5E.

Pauln6

Hero
Most of them their stats can stay as is.

Goldmoon could have cleric levels. She just wouldn't be able to use most of her abilities. Life domain one powers return.

Rangers might need to switch to fighters with background. Most of the classes would be champions, thieves, and maybe invoker's.

None of them would be barbarians. 1E and 2E barbarians were very different.

A 5/5 fighter/mage I would probably convert as something like EK3/wizard 4.

Minor annoyance is modern D&D Elves basically suck with longswords despite it being a racial weapon.

I have the 2E stats if anyone wants them. IIRC they were copy and paste from 1E.
Some classes don't really fit in DL. Warlocks being one example.

Yeah, I think Goldmoon would work just fine as a cleric with no spells or channel divinity for one adventure. I was just wondering if a level or two of 5e bard might also be a good way to emulate her existing skills and almost other-worldly ability to inspire devotion.

I haven't seen the 3e stats for the heroes. That might be interesting.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, I think Goldmoon would work just fine as a cleric with no spells or channel divinity for one adventure. I was just wondering if a level or two of 5e bard might also be a good way to emulate her existing skills and almost other-worldly ability to inspire devotion.

I haven't seen the 3e stats for the heroes. That might be interesting.

Well Dragonlance has all sorts of variant rules. No clerics at all (or ones with the supernatural aspects working) before a certain date, its OK to have Goldmoons powers turned off IMHO or she just gets to use her staff.

Rangers are a bit different as well, the hunter one is probably the one closest to 1E, or maybe 1 level ranger dip and then fighter levels at least to the higher levels.

No Druid, Ranger, paladin, or Cleric will get spells before the gods return, the moon magic thing can be tweaked since 5E doesn't use caster level maybe upgrade the slots. Rangers one of those classes that might need a Krynn variant (no spells). Or a ranger background for fighters.

Sturm would just be a Champion fighter IMHO, noble background maybe.

Last edited:

Remove ads