D&D 5E What should be in the Advanced Tactical Module?

fjw70

Adventurer
I am very interested to see what the 5e design team comes up with for the Advanced Tactical Module. It really should be that hard. 4e has a pretty solid set of tactical rules. For 5e they just need to be tweaked by putting in a couple options for those that don’t like the 4e square fireballs and diagonal movement rules (things that don’t bother me but I know it does some people).

Besides grid rules for movement and resolving area of effect stuff what else does the ATM need?

VinylTap

First Post
I'm so glad this thread finally got started!

Its going to be tough to predict, without the final DND 5th basic rules in front of us, but a discussion talking broadly about possible emphasis shifts is pretty exciting.

What are the requirements to a satisfying 4th progression that are being completely ignored in the direction of the current playtest? What absolutely has to go and what needs to be added?

Flanking rules
Attacks of Opportunity
Shifting
Facing, (for those ultra-rare people who want this)
Called Shots, go for the eyes Boo!

I bet they'll implement it in a crappy way.
They'll have things a Fighter can do with the expertise dice, that can only be done in the Tactical Module, and then the Fighter will have to give up the normal cool stuff in order to do the Tactical stuff. Then there will be people who want to pick some of things the fighter could do in the tactical module and bring it into a normal game, and DM's everywhere will have to allow/disallow all sorts of stuff.
Like the Gunslinger feats in Pathfinder.

fjw70

Adventurer
Attacks of opportunity are already in DDN. Will there be an option for 4e style OA and making shifting an action anyone can use? Will there be an option for 3e-style AoO with standing-up and the like provoking. Just with this one rule there are three different way to do it.

This bring up the point of how the tactical rules will be packaged. If there are 20 different tactical rules (to randomly pull a number of the air) that’s a lot of different combinations that could emerge. For the sake of manageability the rules will have to be grouped in some fashion. I think the simplest way to group them and cover everyone would be to have a 3e tactical rules package, a 4e tactical rules package, and a lighter 5e tactical rules package. On top of these then a few other options (such as facing) can be added. The packages would simplify the use of this module and the adventurous could mix and match if they want.

I believe we need these options since a lot of 3e fans would be happy with 4e-like tactical rules and 4e fans would be happy with 3e tactical rules.

I really look forward to what they come up with.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
Damage reduction rules, so that plate is now back to the top of the heap in pure combat, balanced against all their disadvantages out of combat. Split AC into Dodge + DR

Persistent damage, wounds that slow you down or cause you to drop your sword

Every type of shield + weapon + tactics and feats to use them properly
Lots more maneuvers! Stuff you can learn by watching enemies then get better skilled at. I.e. like a skill system for maneuvers
Ways to fight multiple enemies simultaneously, like get this enemy to whack his friend while you slip out of the way

What happens when you're bloodied, do you get penalties to hit, etc.
Feats for armor mastery such as losing speed penalty and disadvantage on stunts while wearing plate.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
[MENTION=80924]fjw70[/MENTION]Just so you know, the black text makes it hard to read for the users who have the black background on. Good thread idea. As always, play what you like :)

First, there needs to be rules for grids and gridded combat & movement. There are two big grids - square and hex - and both should be covered by the rules.

There should also be positioning-based bonuses such as flanking. Facing would also be a good idea. Because this is an optional module for people who want tactical details they can get finicky and detailed, adding things like facing. They can have flanking for when two allies are on either side of an opponent (the actual definition of flanking) and a better bonus when attack from behind.

There should also be maneuvers, stuff that anyone can do. Such as tripping, pushing, pulling, power attacking, etc. Where you take an attack penalty and attempt something. Someone with the feats will always be better, but anyone can attempt it. This dramatically increase the moves one can attempt in combat, giving everyone more choices based on the situation.

Remove ads