D&D 5E What should be in the Advanced Tactical Module?

Ratskinner

Adventurer
And what should NOT be in it:
The only grid rules for Next. Sorry, I often play with beginners and kids and most can get the make-believe talks with NPCs and have no problems with having a counter representing themselves on a map. But they have serious trouble with pretending flanking, positioning and where they are during a combat. They can better fight the orcs they see them on map, who is in greater danger and the likes.
Grips and counters can actually be a help and are not the devil that distracts from good roleplaying or over-complicates combat

I find that using counters and a map is distinct from using grids in particular. Grids and their attached rules have additional impacts on gameplay. IME with new players, maps and counters are very helpful to almost everyone (at least sketches of the locations). Grids are good for some, but overall slow play down to the point that I often wonder if they are worth it for veterans or newbies. Of course, that may just be an effect of my personal playing/DMing style.

Out of curiousity, since gridless will apparently be default, where you put the other "gridded" module? What would you do with it, if not advanced tactics?

Walking Dad

First Post
Well, the Pathfinder Beginner Box was a success AFAIK, so why not make some kind of module that eases the transition from fatasy boardgames to D&D (lie the Asherldon and Ravenloft ones)?

Remove ads