D&D 5E Help! What’s the best place in the multiverse to hide from the Inevitables?

OB1

Jedi Master
Help! What’s the best place in the multiverse to hide from the Inevitables?

Hi all! Working on my next session and have a couple NPCs my party is seeking that are hiding from the Inevitables for breaking a contract.

Need ideas for where in the multiverse would be the best place for the NPCs to go to ground to avoid or be protected from those Lawful constructs while still allowing my PCs to find them.

Note the PCs are all Level 19, have an Amulet of the Planes to get around and are currently in Sigil.

Any help greatly appreciated! Session is this Saturday 4/13 and I’m worried I won’t have this critical piece figured out!

I know once they are found where they need to go to break the contracts and get the Inevitables off them, but just blanking on where to start.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I would say that the only place someone could hide from an inevitable would be outside of the Multiverse. I hate to say it, but the Far Realm seems fairly viable. Another option could be one of the deepest tunnels of Pandemonium, haunted by horrible aberrations and fiends.

Quickleaf

Legend
Hi all! Working on my next session and have a couple NPCs my party is seeking that are hiding from the Inevitables for breaking a contract.

Need ideas for where in the multiverse would be the best place for the NPCs to go to ground to avoid or be protected from those Lawful constructs while still allowing my PCs to find them.

Note the PCs are all Level 19, have an Amulet of the Planes to get around and are currently in Sigil.

Any help greatly appreciated! Session is this Saturday 4/13 and I’m worried I won’t have this critical piece figured out!

I know once they are found where they need to go to break the contracts and get the Inevitables off them, but just blanking on where to start.

I'd be tempted to make it a place an inevitable can't enter.

Specifically, I'm thinking about a bit of lore concerning the Infinite Staircase, wherein any living being could – once in their lifetime – ascend stairs on the Infinite Staircase leading to the "city of their dreams." And any given creature could only reach this city once. If you passed it up, you never could find it again.

At level 19? I'd suggest a private demi-plane, located outside of Time.

Failing that, I'd go anywhere in the Multi-verse that's under the effects of a permanent Private Sanctum. That's a level 4 spell, so you should have countless such zones to choose from.

MarkB

Legend
How about if these NPCs have got themselves employed as ambassadors to the city of Mechanus, gaining diplomatic immunity in the process? The one place one could escape from an assassin governed by absolute lawfulness would be a place where it would be fundamentally unlawful to kill them.

Quickleaf

Legend
Another fun twist might by the Iron City of Dis, located in the Nine Hells. The inevitable could be there looking for these NPCs, but Dispater restricts movement and has the power to kick the inevitable out, so the inevitable would have to follow the laws of Dis. And for a perfectly lawful being, the corrupt dizzying bureaucracy of Dis could be utterly confounding. Especially if the NPCs ingratiated themselves to Dispater in some way, they could be "hiding in plain sight" essentially.

Quartz

Hero
Is this to be a combat scenario or a RP scenario? Because if it's the latter, how about the Seven Heavens? The twist is that the NPCs are imprisoned there, but being the Seven Heavens, it's not exactly a bad deal. The NPCs are lawfully imprisoned so the Inevitable is there just waiting for them to escape or their sentence to end.

If you get a idea. Wasn't it used by any more in the past? Are inevitable ready for that trick if it happens again?

Inevitable are lawful creatures. I guess they could try to a zone with attuned with chaotic alignment.

Is there any possibility to agree a deal for the pardon? For example slaying slaads or catching a chaos lord.

Arvok

Explorer
Why do they have to be hiding out? Maybe the only way they can stay out of the reach of the inevitables is to keep running. If they're jumping randomly from plane to plane, the inevitables might be tracking them but haven't caught them yet. That means you could have the PCs meet them pretty much anywhere.

Remove ads