D&D 5E Methods to split the party

I think many are missing the point. The outcome is not predetermined. The Necromancer could pick from a myriad of options to protect himself. In this case, I am considering a divide and conquer strategy. It might work, it might not. It depends entirely on the actions of the party. My original post was just asking for options in such a scenario.

Right. You were asking how to set up a threat, not an outcome.

MG.0

First Post
"large swinging blades"

That could split several party members. :heh:

Seriously though, you could use a series of swinging blades to separate party members as they are forced to run through them one at a time.

Nebulous

Legend
The reason it takes the fun away is it feels unfair to the players and it is. So, tell them what might happen before the session and just tell them to go with it. I have found that players are willing to occasionally go down a predetermined path if there is good payoff. Also, if they know they are supposed to be divided then you don't have to create some half ass solutions the players will do it themselves in ways that fit the narrative better.

That's a really good idea. Just flat out tell them, this is what's happening, go with it. Used very sparingly that would be a refreshing plot device.

aramis erak

Legend
Just wanting to pick brains for a bit...

My group (lvl 5-6) is about to try to take down a necromancer type, but rather than let them have a straight up fight I am thinking I want to build tension by slowly peeling party members off as they work their way toward his lair. They will then be reunited in a prison and do the standard bust out, grab our gear, kick a$$.

The setting is a fortified castle, they have already gained entry to an empty room and know the rough direction of the necromancer, but will have to sneakily traverse passages and rooms to actually get to him.

A couple thoughts I have had so far:
Paralyze, or stone, one of them.
Drop one in a pit who then is immobilized through a spell and thrown in a cell.

Any other interesting ways to peel off party members one by one? The key is that the character either has to be removed or rendered useless until they are reunited in the prison cell.

Looking forward to hearing people's suggestions!

Grapple then teleport. (Helps to have a teleport as move)

Have a fast giant frog gulp one down and hop away.

Dragon Snatch. Preferably hasted.

Step 1: Make sure your villain is an old man in a mask.

Step 2: Ensure the locale is sufficiently spooky and large. Like..jeepers man!

Step 3: Have the smell of something delicious and tasty come from one direction.

Step 4: Make sure a haunting noise or image can be detected in a different direction.

Step5: Be absolutely certain that the villain's plan would have worked if not for those meddling kids.

Pickles III

First Post
It sounds risky to me. If the first PC gets captured easily then the party fights tooth & nail to prevent the next one getting a KIA then they become super cautious - well the player has been out of it for an age.

Capture scenarios are always awkward. If they are presented as overwhelming force they feel railroady. If they have powerful "capture squads" then the PCs may well pull out all the stops to avoid capture & risk getting TPKed or just avoiding capture & i's still railroady & may feel unfair.

My tips, which are principles rather than concrete advice :( are

1) Make sure the whole process does not take too long to ensure everyone remains involved

2) Try to get the players to buy in to their capture at least a little - ambush one one a dodgy assignation. Appeal to the greed of another.

3) Maybe use overwhelming force to round up the stragglers but tell (well show) the PCs that the necromancer has burned resources to do this.
Eg he summons Invisible Stalkers (something very capable cf the PCs) to capture the PCs but uses consumable gems to do this - the PCs see he has 4 cracked gems & only 1 or fresh ones remaining. This mitigates the "unfairess" aspect.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6793324]AriochQ[/MENTION]

A puzzle spaced throughout different parts of the castle that require simultaneous interaction to open a vault door.

Falling portcullises or even stone doors. Or mimics ;)

A pit with water flowing thru it with multiple aqueduct tunnels the water flows thru. Before anyone makes checks to jump across clarify that the consequences of a low roll mean falling into the water and getting swept away...somewhere.

A coffin or an iron maiden with a built in teleporter. Include with a monster that Shoves or causes forced movement.

Gargoyles that grapple characters and fly off with them to perches throughout the castle.

Valuable treasure in a dangerous place to lure treasure-hungry PCs away from the party. Naturally guarded by a trap separating them from the party (e.g. chute).

Provide a side solo mission for a PC - if they accomplish it then the party (or just them) benefits. However, it requires them to go it alone due to (a) ethical differences with the party, (b) need for stealth, or (c) part of a multi-pronged attack strategy designed by the players.

Winterfell

First Post
At my table, all it takes to split the party is a four-way intersection: one direction for each PC!

*sigh* Somehow they're still alive.

I think my table attempts to perfect the "Party Split™" as it happens so often and they make it out unscathed most of the time.

Deathstrike

First Post
Magically concealed pit trap drops open, and half of the party are dropped onto another level. You could even find someone else to DM one group at the same time, while you run the other, so that neither group is aware of the other until they somehow reunite at the prison.

AriochQ

Adventurer
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have decided to let the party split themselves hehe. They are going to have two time sensitive goals to complete: Catching a henchman (primary goal) and saving some prisoners from execution (secondary goal). It will be interesting to see how they deal with it. I am assuming they will split the group, but they have surprised me in the past. It will be an adventure no matter what happens!

Remove ads