Gale Force Nine Sign Master License for Dune ‘Games’; Modiphius Designing RPG!

Gale Force Nine have announced they have entered a multi-year deal to act as master Licensee for ‘Games’ for Frank Herbert’s Epic “Dune” Series. The deal will see Gale Force Nine publish a range of games based upon the property, as well as sub-license the rights to partner companies. The first of these has been assigned to Modiphius Entertainment for the Dune Roleplaying Game.

Gale Force Nine have announced they have entered a multi-year deal to act as master Licensee for ‘Games’ for Frank Herbert’s Epic “Dune” Series. The deal will see Gale Force Nine publish a range of games based upon the property, as well as sub-license the rights to partner companies. The first of these has been assigned to Modiphius Entertainment for the Dune Roleplaying Game.

Unknown.jpg

(Cover of the Last Unicorn/WotC Dune RPG; 2000)​

The license agreement, with Legendary Entertainment and Herbert Properties LLC, allows Gale Force Nine to produce tabletop games covering the length and breadth of the Dune franchise, including the novels of Frank Herbert, Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, as well as the upcoming Dune movie directed by Denis Villeneuve.

The agreement allows GF9 to work with other game companies on various projects, across a number of categories. The first of these to be announced is with Modiphius Entertainment, who have a track record of working with licensed properties such as Star Trek, John Carter of Mars, Fallout and Kung Fu Panda. Modiphius will be developing a new Dune tabletop RPG, slated for release in late 2019. This will be the first time Dune has appeared as an RPG since the Last Unicorn/Wizards of the Coast edition which appeared as a limited edition run in 2000.

The full range of tabletop games, including board and miniature games, are slated to hit the market just prior to Legendary’s theatrical release of Villeneuve’s Dune in 2020.

Dune is other example of a sci-fi setting getting old.
It really isn’t and I think we should reserve judgement on how much of an impact Dune makes on younger generations till the games and movies get released. The allegories involved are just as relevant today, if not more so.

”Dune" has some interesting ideas for a RPG but we should break the canon to create a mash-up+reboot.

People have been doing this for years, but it’s still not Dune.

Regarding the system, it’s not so much the engine used that is the issue for me, but whether they cater for certain aspects of the novels. For example, some sort of social combat would be ideal for this game.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
The Free League people sell their stuff through Modiphius. I REALLY would prefer Dune to be released as their d6 exploration, dice-pool-based game. (Year Zero Engine). Rater than the 2d20 for eg.

Also, the Free League writers are very good :)

The Free League people sell their stuff through Modiphius. I REALLY would prefer Dune to be released as their d6 exploration, dice-pool-based game. (Year Zero Engine). Rater than the 2d20 for eg.

Also, the Free League writers are very good :)

I'd love if it was in free leagues d6 system. Sadly, I expect it'll be in 2d20.

I hope whatever system they incorporate social intrigue system as [MENTION=27252]TrippyHippy[/MENTION] mentioned above. Mind control, manipulation, willpower and politics is such a huge part of the setting.

I'd also love to see some kind of campaign level house mecahnics qhere your actions could contribute to your houses rise or misfortune.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
The big question. Does this license allow them to reprint the classic Dune game from the 80s?

I still have that. I had the original (or perhaps it was the second printing) with the "Sting" box cover. Then I found the French version in a game store in Germany and snapped it up. It's a great game. Hard to find folks to play with though, even with the English translation of the rules.

Matt S1

Villager
I contact GF9 and asked if the license covers the 1979 Dune classic. This is their response from Mike Onore...

Thank you for your interest in Dune. As of right now because of murky laws back in the 70’s we are currently working on getting the licensing to reprint the classic version of dune. So please keep an eye out.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Fading Suns was clearly strongly influenced by Dune. It had a lot of great material. The system was shaky, though. I'd have been much happier playing or running it with something like 2D20, that's for sure.
I always loved the Dune and Fading Suns universes as an RPG setting. But I think Warhammer 40,000 was what inspired Fading Suns a LOT, 40k plundered a LOT from Dune.
There's been a Dune RPG before, but it's quite rare to find.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I always loved the Dune and Fading Suns universes as an RPG setting. But I think Warhammer 40,000 was what inspired Fading Suns a LOT, 40k plundered a LOT from Dune.

I bought Fading Suns when it was just a softcover book (with the super expensive but really durable heavy plastic cover) and interacted with the authors some online. One thing they said was that they weren't trying to make a "Dune" game but that it was a very strong influence on both Bill Bridges and Andrew Greenberg. I don't recall them talking about Warhammer 40K though it wouldn't surprise me if that was an influence, too. They intentionally drew a very broad net, though, wanting to have substantial room for different inspirations. Another very big one was Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Count me as another that hopes crap 2d20 system is not used. I love Dune. I hope they use a good mechanics system. If they do, I'm in. I'll buy it.

Yep. Fading Suns was actually written by two White Wolf World of Darkness developers, possibly in the hope that it might be a future White Wolf release, but it never happened. It's a lot more kitchen sink than Dune, but the original influence, by way of W40K is definitely there.

Vanveen

Explorer
It's hard to imagine it has taken this long for someone to pick up this awesome IP but I'm glad they did. Also love that Modiphius got the nod for the RPG. They have really been putting out some excellent games and the quality is top notch.

The problem hasn't been people interested in the IP, it's been the Herbert estate. The Dune boardgame by Avalon Hill, widely considered one of the best boardgames ever made, has been out of print (and stratospherically expensive) for years because the family wouldn't authorize a new license. Fantasy Flight finally rethemed the game in their Imperium universe and rereleased it, taking advantage of the fact that you can patent game rules (which nobody had) but not their expression. Sales were OK, but people wanted Fremen and sandworms. Maybe that helped loosen the stuck bolt?

Given the history, this is kind of a big deal. I also think most millennials have little idea of what Dune is. BUT...given Gale Force 9's M.O., I think the bigger deal is that there may be some kind of Dune reboot (film, TV) in the works.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads