Free RPG day, and how serious FLGS are about RPGs

Dire Bare

Legend
RPGs don't pay the bills for stores around here. It seems like MTG is the life blood of all brick and mortar. If MTG hit a lull at least three of the four stores within 25 miles of me would go belly up.

RPGs haven't been the top selling game category in a while. It's Magic, and now, board games. However, smart stores diversify and intelligently market the different categories of games they stock. The best store in my area, Boise, is ABU Games and there business is built around Magic singles. But they have amazing selections of board games, miniatures games, RPGs, and other types of games. And they often participate in the EVENT marketing days like Free RPG Day and Tabletop Day, plus they run tons of in-store events every week for all styles of games. If Magic were to disappear, they would have a pretty good chance of sticking around to continue to sell me Warhammer, D&D, and board games!

The annual event?

I don't think so. Maybe for you, but I've always seen FreeRPG Day as a small thing. Any of the major cons overshadow this event by orders of magnitude.

Hey, it's a nice thought, and for the organizer(s) it probably is their big effort/event of the year. But not for the community.

It's the event, because it's not geographically positioned. It's a global day for RPG stuff. That's what it's about. The freebies are just a gimmick. The opportunity to play new games, meet new people and just generally gather around with a bunch of people there for the same reason is the main reason I think it's a big deal, and means a store isn't really on the ball if they aren't participating.

[MENTION=6677017]Sword of Spirit[/MENTION],

Hopefully I didn't come across aggressive or negative before.

I can see how it could become the annual event for the community. And perhaps it would be good if it did. The concept and ideal of it are admirable. But it's not there yet.

As others have said, many business owners who's job it is to decide if something is significant enough to spend resources on and participate in don't think its worth it. Does not mean they are right (after all, many experts are often wrong on any topic). But, to me, it does mean the promoters of FRD haven't been very successful in building or conveying their value proposition.

CydKnight

Explorer
I played 5E D&D all day on RPG day at mine. They also had Numenera and Star Wars going that I noticed. All tables were full from 11:00 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. I was in a game that ran after 11:30 p.m.

Remove ads