Official D&D Errata Updated (Nov 2018)

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
What about cover?

Does it make your AC 16 or greater? If so, then then the spell does nothing for you. If not, your AC is now 16. The spell only makes you not have an AC lower than 16 if that would not otherwise be the case under normal circumstances. It doesn't give you an AC that bonuses can be applied to.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
It might also have to do with Magic Initiate, as the previous Sage Advice rule for that was that it'd technically add that spell to your spells known if you were of the appropriate class. I'd have to read into it more carefully, but that might also play into it.

Could you clarify what you mean by this? By my reading, nothing has changed in this regard. A wizard who takes Magic Initiate (Wizard) still gets another wizard spell known.

5ekyu

Hero
Could you clarify what you mean by this? By my reading, nothing has changed in this regard. A wizard who takes Magic Initiate (Wizard) still gets another wizard spell known.
I can say that I saw the lack of named-class-spells pre-errata to lead to some "sage got it wrong threads when he limited it to "your class" for MI.

So, adding that language to RAW I think made that vlearer.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Azzy's description of the spell that you responded to is incorrect; the spell doesn't actually have any timing restriction, and operates continuously. A correct rephrasing is "Calculate your AC using any bonuses you wish. This includes class features, armor, shields, dexterity, feats, natural armor, cover, magic items, and bonuses that I didn't think of. While this spell is in effect, if the result of your AC calculation is less than 16, then the spell raises your AC to 16. If it is equal to or greater than 16, then the spell has no effect". It's a really simply spell, people just spend a lot of effort trying to make it complicated. While it's running, your AC is either 16 or whatever it's calculated to be by normal means, whichever is better.

Yup. The spell itself mechanically is fine. Your AC is whatever it's calculated as or 16, whichever is higher. All the issues that the rest of us have always gone on about all come down to attaching these mechanics to fluff that does not align.

If there was ever to be any "errata" for this spell created in the future, it'd be renaming it and changing its story as that's the part they messed up on. ;)

flametitan

Explorer

I was saying that there was the possibility that the wording was done in relation to Magic Initiate, whether to clarify or remove it. It was something where I wasn't sure if it made it clearer or changed the ruling, and needed to read up on it more, so the answer I gave was purposefully ambiguous.

In this case, it doesn't really change much in practice, but it pairs well with the, "You learn that spell," part of Magic Initiate.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
I was saying that there was the possibility that the wording was done in relation to Magic Initiate, whether to clarify or remove it. It was something where I wasn't sure if it made it clearer or changed the ruling, and needed to read up on it more, so the answer I gave was purposefully ambiguous.

In this case, it doesn't really change much in practice, but it pairs well with the, "You learn that spell," part of Magic Initiate.

Okay, thanks for the clarification on your thoughts. I agree it doesn’t change anything wrt the sage advice on Magic Initiate. Minor wording change that seems in line with the rules and sage advice up to this point. Probably just there to head off some multiclassing arguments.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Open it up in two tabs of your browser. Keep one open to the table of contents. Read in the other one.
I refuse to hear these perfectly reasonable solutions!

;)

You get what you pay for. It's basic in more sense than one.
This is true but there was an outline in the last version. It's a simple thing, especially if you've already gone so far as to hyperlink your headings.

I have high standards!

:p

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases