D&D 5E NPC creation rules

Sitara

Explorer
So the review of the DMG by [MENTION=85633]Neuroglyph[/MENTION] confirms NPC creation rules are in.

While i was a big fan of D&D4e's unique monsters approach, something which has been kept to a large extent in 5e, one thing I really do miss from 3e was the simple NPC classes, for making humanoid enemies and NPCs, like bandits, the local sage, etc. Monsters IMO should be unique, along with special villain types. But the NPC classes were useful for average opponents. They could also be combined with PC classes for unique flavors.

So can anyone who has the D&D 5e DMG please go into detail on the NPC rules? What kind are there?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
So can anyone who has the D&D 5e DMG please go into detail on the NPC rules? What kind are there?

Basically, you have two options for building NPCs. You can build an NPC using the monster building rules or you can build an NPC as you would a PC. If you build it as a PC you can skip selecting a background and pick two skill proficiencies instead.

There's an "NPC Features" table as well for non-human NPCs, including some races (under CR 1) from the MM. Table includes ability modifiers and features for the NPC (like kuo-toa NPC getting amphibious, slippery, sunlight sensitivity, etc)

Once built, you figure out the NPC's CR just as you would a monster (using the charts/tables in the DMG).

JoeCrow

Explorer
Looking at the NPC and monster creation rules makes me wish I'd put some points in programming so's I could start working on some generators for these things.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Looking at the NPC and monster creation rules makes me wish I'd put some points in programming so's I could start working on some generators for these things.

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I can program, and to be honest I probably could come up with SOMETHING but it would take me so long, I might fiddle around with RUBY later and post something.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases