D&D 5E Powergaming a Barbarian 5

Minsc

Explorer
Point buy. Right now he's a Barbarian level 5. Half Orc.

Stats are 18/16/16/8/8/8

Game is expected to go to about 15th level. Barbarian over level 5 is kinda lackluster. I'm thinking of multiclassing.

Am I better with Rogue (Assassin) levels, and using a Rapier (unlimited sneak attacks with Reckless Attack) or with Fighter (Champion) levels (Improved Critical + Half Orc is awesome)? Or both? If both, which first? Am I missing something, and should I continue as a Barbarian instead?

Thanks!

zarzak

First Post
Straight barbarian has comparable dpr to a champion fighter (assuming greataxe), I believe. I'd stick with single-class myself.

Coyote81

First Post
Too bad your Int is too low, ruenscribe(if UA is allowed) makes for an amazing Barbarian shaman. Has a ton of abilities you can use even while raging giving the barbarian much needed utility.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Never considered the rapier/barb combo. Does that work with rage?

I like improved crit, that's cool with the ho barb. Maybe just 3 or 4 levels of champion, because multiple attacks don't stack (I'm talking about the extra attack at level 5 barbs and ftrs get).

I like continuing as ftr or barb because hp is important.

If you don't go rogue, I'd stick with great weapon style.

Vicaring

First Post
You get Brutal Critical at level 9 Barbarian. Combine that with Champion 3 Improved Critical, Half-Orc Savage Attacks, and yeah that's pretty good.

EDIT: Also, what Kruchy said above me. You don't get a 3rd attack at Fighter 5, so you'd have to go Fighter 10 for that 3rd. I'm not sure it's worth it.

MwaO

Adventurer
Barbarians should almost always want Great Weapon Master and Polearm Master and use them all the time, even if they think their to-hit roll won't be that good.

As an example, let's say I do 1d12+5 damage and hit 65% of the time because I have a 20 Str at 8th level. My average damage is 11.5*.88(65% with advantage)*2 = 20.2 damage essentially. Now, let's change that to a 16 Str Barbarian with the above 2 feats. So now, my to-hit chance drops to 55%. -5 means it is only 30%. I dropped to a d10 weapon. Yikes. Better look at the numbers though to confirm the suckage, right?

With a 30% to-hit chance, that means my chance of hitting with Advantage is actually 51%. I have roughly a 19% chance of a critical hit with the 1st 2 swings, which would trigger GWM's bonus action attack. So 2.19 d10 attacks and .81 d4(Polearm Master)

So it looks like this:
18.5*.51*2.19+15.5*.51*.81 = 27.1 damage. So even though your base to-hit is only 30%, you end up doing a lot more damage on average.

But it gets better than that - you have a Reaction attack too and 5e allows you to move both before and after your attack - so you move to within 10' of an opponent, swing at them 3 times, and then back away - in order for the opponent to approach you, they'll take a swing from the d10 end of your attack. If you're fighting a melee only opponent, they can be in real trouble at that point.

And if you end up with any bonuses whatsoever, such as 20 Str or magical bonus to hit, the numbers very, very quickly improve because the biggest benefits from Advantage happen when your to-hit chance is near 50%. With a +2 magic weapon and a 20 Str, you should likely hit most opponents 75% of the time without Advantage, 94% with(+19%). With a -5 to hit, those numbers change to 50% and 75%(+25%)...

How these numbers work make Variant Human Barbarian 5s very powerful for that extra feat - they make everything happen by level 4/5 instead of level 8...

mellored

Legend
Barbarians scale fine. However, they still do the same thing at level 1 that they do at level 20. Mainly run in and hit things while being hard to kill.

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Point buy. Right now he's a Barbarian level 5. Half Orc.

Stats are 18/16/16/8/8/8

Game is expected to go to about 15th level. Barbarian over level 5 is kinda lackluster. I'm thinking of multiclassing.

Am I better with Rogue (Assassin) levels, and using a Rapier (unlimited sneak attacks with Reckless Attack) or with Fighter (Champion) levels (Improved Critical + Half Orc is awesome)? Or both? If both, which first? Am I missing something, and should I continue as a Barbarian instead?

Thanks!

I don't think barb is that lackluster after 5. More rages, more rage damage along with some great features like feral instinct and brutal critical.

But really any sensible mix of the 3 classes you listed will work well mechanically. I would do whatever sounds the most fun to you. You could even do a mix of all three. Barb 5 / champion 3 / assassin 12 would give you some redonk crits.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Never considered the rapier/barb combo. Does that work with rage?

Sneak attack needs a finesse weapon. Reckless attack gives advantage on strength attacks. Luckily a finesse weapon can still be used with strength.

That said, it's a lower damage die for the half orc critical.

Remove ads