ZEITGEIST [ZEITGEIST] The Continuing Adventures of Korrigan & Co.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Session 6 (129) - PART ONE: The Castle of the Sea Chiefs

They wrapped up their debriefing with Stover Delft, and waited for ritual scrolls to arrive (exchanging the expensive scrolls Gupta had been given for cheaper ones, and taking the balance in cash to help their railroad building). Uru sent an animal messenger to the four kids who were minding his garden, and Leon contacted his old cellmate Rock Rackus via sending, with a view to setting up some sort of performance in Ber. It included an idea for a new song. ‘18 Mile’. Inspired by Melissa Amerie, they hoped to get popular opinion on their side and thereby twist the arm of the Bruse.

Eventually the ritual scrolls arrived, along with a huge back-log of mail that Dima had not yet had time to work through. Stover also handed them a small, heavy metal ornament that had been sent to the RHC HQ yesterday, addressed to the unit. He had already had it checked to make sure it was not magical or dangerous. It turned out to be clockwork musical toy. On the outside it had elvish runes that (when the puzzle was solved) spelled out a word with no direct analogue in Risuri. It translated as ‘a debt of honour owed reluctantly’, and Xambria realised that the verb form indicated that ‘you’ (the bearer) owed the debt. When the box was opened, a lilting tune began to play as a small figure (a gnome?) turned into an object like a vase and back into a gnome again. Gupta recognised the ditty as ‘a fond remembrance’. A symbol representing a cog and a crown was worked into the inside of the lid.

They went their separate ways, with Xambria/Conquo and Uru taking Rumdoom to Renza; Leon taking Korrigan, Gupta & Melissa to Citado Cavallo. Just before they went, Stover took Korrigan aside and told him to warn Leon not to return to Flint or he would be arrested.

On arrival in Citado Cavallo, Melissa seemed to come alive and talked with youthful excitement about the time she spent in the seaside town as a child. She abandoned her trademark drollery and talked about the sea lords who served Cavallo and about his daughter Corta Nariz, who was the most respected of his inner circle and had been widely considered as a dependable successor to the Bruse. Melissa lamented that Corta had no real connection with the people, and would stand no chance while the rift between Shantus and her father persisted. She went on to add that Cavallo would take an enormous amount to persuade. He would need to save a lot of face before ever bending his knee.

Leon took his leave of the others and headed down into the town to look into the strange disease Kenna Vigilante had told him about, while the others approached the magnificent, towering fort. Figures appeared along its crenellations. Cavallo himself abused them from the battlements of his fort, calling them lapdogs of the Bruse and half-heartedly threatening to have them shot for daring to approach. “We are not your enemies,” was Korrigan’s terse response, while Gupta added irreverently, “We missed the last bit. Could you shout it again?” A half-giant woman with a powerful, resonant voice suggested that Cavallo admit them as ‘foreign dignitaries’. Cavallo agreed, but said he would meet them later after he had spent the rest of the morning teaching his granddaughter to wrestle.

They were shown to a suite of rooms overlooking the fleet. Their balcony was shared by Lya Jierre and she rose from her chair to greet the new arrivals. Fruit was laid out on a table alongside fresh, iced water. Gupta began munching insouciantly on an apple. Lya said she had no intention of playing along with the Bruse. As they would see, despite her earlier meeting with Cavallo, she had made no attempt to persuade him to attack Manhill. She pleaded with them to take this gesture as a sign of her good intentions and allow her to win. “We want to bring poor Tinker back into the fold. He isn’t well. We can bring him peace. Then, with his help, we can stop the golem’s rampage through the Dreaming. Can you say the same? Please believe me when I say that although your intentions are honourable, you are on the wrong side, and will find yourself judged poorly when the history of our times is written.” Korrigan said he was not interested in his place in history. He suggested she capitulate instead. Lya smiled and said she expected no less of him. They shook hands. Gupta asked Lya why she had attacked them if she meant them no harm. Lya apologised for Rush stepping out of line and said Merton just did as he was told by Rush. They shook hands too, and Lya clocked Gupta’s magical gloves with a sly grin. Or was it the damp from the apple core she responded to?

Last edited:

gideonpepys

By the way, had Rumdoom ever teleported before?

Many times. He's not being rational at all. Rumdoom isn't drinking but he is taking a range of other drugs to 'settle himself'.

And is there a reason you only ever call him by his nickname?

That was the name the player gave him. I thought it sounded like a nickname and threw in the real name as 'background'. At one point, when he returned from his apparent demise against the kraken-hydra, he made a brief attempt to drop the nickname and insist everyone revert to Kagan (to show his hard-drinking days were over), but it didn't catch on.

Also, smug Lya is best Lya.

Actually, I only ever played her really smug when she thought she was about to marry Aodhan despite being caught redhanded in Vendricce. I generally play her as very even-tempered and polite, with a good sense of humour*. The group really liked her when they first met her back in adventure #1 and I like the dynamic of an ongoing rivallry between foes who might otherwise have been friends if they had met under different circumstances. How long that will persist is anyone's guess.

*And with what I like to think of as an alluring French accent.

Last edited:

SanjMerchant

Explorer
At one point, when he returned from his apparent demise against the kraken-hydra, he made a brief attempt to drop the nickname and insist everyone revert to Kagan (to show his hard-drinking days were over), but it didn't catch on.

I was genuinely surprised that the nickname stuck once he came back. Probably doesn't help that his "real" name was an afterthought.

Actually, I only ever played her really smug when she thought she was about to marry Aodhan despite being caught redhanded in Vendricce. I generally play her as very even-tempered and polite, with a good sense of humour*.

I was referring more specifically to her saying that she doesn't care about the whole Cavallo side of the contest (above and beyond her general disdain for the contest as a whole) while she basically cheats to win it. (I presume she's doing the thing from the book where she bypasses Cavallo himself and just has one of his ship's captains go all Major Kong so she can fulfill the exact words of the victory condition.)

gideonpepys

I was genuinely surprised that the nickname stuck once he came back. Probably doesn't help that his "real" name was an afterthought.

We'd been using his nickname for almost two years by that point. And the player wasn't seriously trying to change it, just enact one of Rumdoom's many idiosyncracies. To repeat a story I have told at least once during this thread, I really didn't like the name at first, or the character concept. Of all the exciting options available in Zeitgeist 'dwarf fighter' felt a bit vanilla; 'drunken dwarf fighter' positively stale. (So I kind of insisted on the eschatologist theme, even though the player couldn't see how it fit with his build. From that came the deathwish backstory, and the 'unkillable' mania derived from that.) Rumdoom has grown on me. (The name and the character.)

The teleportation ban worked marvellously because it coincided with Rush's gold coin ploy and the confusion went on for quite some time.

I was referring more specifically to her saying that she doesn't care about the whole Cavallo side of the contest (above and beyond her general disdain for the contest as a whole) while she basically cheats to win it. (I presume she's doing the thing from the book where she bypasses Cavallo himself and just has one of his ship's captains go all Major Kong so she can fulfill the exact words of the victory condition.)

Yes, it's clever, that. I'm definitely using it. Funny thing: my players have the best infiltrator they could possibly have. Uru is practically invisible when he wants to be. But none of them thought to spy on the Ob's cottage.

I shifted Lya's conversation to Citado Cavallo because such a lot was going on at the Summer Court. I'm glad I did because it gave her greater focus.

gideonpepys

Session 6 (129) - PART TWO: Copperhat? What are you doing here?!?

In Renza, Xambria/Conquo and Uru were met by Thurgid (the young, beardless manservant whom Rumdoom called ‘Lemon’). He explained that his mistress did not want to wait in the street and so took rooms in a tavern where Rumdoom could recuperate. They found the rest of the dwarves sitting on a porch drinking lemonade to fend off the heat. Kithilrak had chilled it. (‘Ice’ by name…) Xambria began to explain their plans for the next step, failing to notice that Rumdoom was regaining consciousness, now that Hildegaard was helping him to little sips of lemonade. Fortunately, Rumdoom failed to put two and two together and the others were able to leave and head back to the teleportation circle, while the dwarves helped their husband and leader to his room .

Sudden noises and cries of alarm stopped them in their tracks. Khoomrung’s wheelchair came crashing through a window. They dashed back to the tavern. Xambria looked through the broken window and Uru hid. Inside, Khoomrung lay sprawled on the floor; Kithilrak was cowering beneath a table, while customers and staff looked on aghast. Thurgid staggered away from Rumdoom clutching his eye. Struggling for breath and with his shirt buttons, Rumdoom’s face was turning purple. While Hildegaard tried to coo soothingly over him, her tone grew gradually more alarmed. Then Rumdoom gave an agonised cry and the Icy End of the World was unleashed on the small tavern and its patrons.

Braving the terrible cold, Xambria stepped through the now insubstantial walls, grabbed hold of Rumdoom and dragged him into the street. No sooner had it begun than the blizzard ended. Hildegaard joined them and apologised: “This has happened before. In Trekhom. He has these seizures and…” A crowd gathered, by turns fearful and angry. Orc and lizardfolk guards arrived and told the dwarves to get out of Renza. Only the fact that no one had been killed (and maybe the ten-foot golem they were standing with) saved them from arrest. They activated the mechanical carriage and Rumdoom and his retinue clambered aboard. Xambria said she would contact them as soon as they reached the railhead for Liss Construction. Hildegaard promised to try to stick to the plan of contacting Damata Griento. “He’ll be in town called Negrahna in a couple of days to spend the weekend with his family,” Thurgid announced, still holding his blackening eye. Everybody looked at him and he shrugged. “I asked around while we waiting,” he said.

Leon’s investigations led to his discovery of an infection of Dragon Worm. Poor folk said that the high ups were also affected, but were trying to hide it. They said that a tribe of goblins had had the worms for years, but it had spread when they were driven off. Leon set out to investigate their old home in the caldera of Lago Fuega. He took directions from goatherds, who complained about attacks from the goblin tribe and their pet insects. Leon was cautious in his approach, but found the caverns to be empty. He sent Rahu Ketu in to search in detail, but all she found were broken dragon egg shells. Leon wondered if they were connected to the worms in any way.

Two things interrupted his search: the first was an excitable, profane sending from Rock Rackus, showing real interest in the prospect of a gig in Ber, and overjoyed to hear from Leon. The second was the glowing runes on his forearm – a signal from the Dreaming. He drew his Dreaming Blade and opened a reversed portal. A diminutive fey named Copperhat the Headless stepped through. Leon had never met him before, but felt like he knew him very well. (He was used to that sort of thing by now.) Holding out a small object, like a ball of string, Copperhat said: “Here’s that magic item you asked for!” When Leon asked what it was, he said. “The absurdist web. To store bodies in. Oh no, that’s not why I’m here, is it? Do you want to take it now, or shall we save it for later?” Leon took it. Copperhat went on: “Now what was it again? You wanted me to contact Beshela about the shipping lanes! Or should I be warning you not to trust her? That’s not it, is it? Who killed Rock Rackus, maybe? No. No, that’s a long way off. Ah, yes, that’s it – I bear a message from the Unseen Court: You are charged with the task of getting that appalling metal monster out of the Dreaming. It’s been here for weeks! You’re to let me know if you need anything. My name is Copperhat the Headless. Which I guess must mean we’ve never met before. Goodbye!” He bowed and vanished.

Leon pocketed the absurdist web and took his findings back to the castle.

SanjMerchant

Explorer
Diminutive? I had always thought Copperhat masqueraded as Medium-sized-but-invisible. That is, he's listed as Diminiutive because there's a (visible) sparrow-sized creature who used magical force to fill out a set of human-sized clothing as though there were an invisible human wearing them (and the sparrow-sized creature just hovers out of sight inside the shirt or the end of the top hat or something).

Of course, your version of the Dreaming is even weirder about time, space, and distance than the canon one, so having something appear to be the size of an action figure one time and the size of a grown man other is probably right in character. Leon better steer clear of any snacks or drinks labeled "Eat Me" or "Drink Me", though.

gideonpepys

Diminutive? I had always thought Copperhat masqueraded as Medium-sized-but-invisible. That is, he's listed as Diminiutive because there's a (visible) sparrow-sized creature who used magical force to fill out a set of human-sized clothing as though there were an invisible human wearing them (and the sparrow-sized creature just hovers out of sight inside the shirt or the end of the top hat or something).

Oh yeah. You're right. I imagined him to be halfling size, though, so my use of the term diminutive was relative, not technical. So all of the above still applies, he's just puppeteering a smaller puppet.

Of course, your version of the Dreaming is even weirder about time, space, and distance than the canon one, so having something appear to be the size of an action figure one time and the size of a grown man other is probably right in character. Leon better steer clear of any snacks or drinks labeled "Eat Me" or "Drink Me", though.

My version of the Dreaming is mainly in Leon's head. (So you're even more right that you knew.)

gideonpepys

Session 6 (129) - PART THREE: Uru and Conquo in... Overclock!

Gupta and Korrigan were being shown around by Alonsa Frolian, the physically impressive but easy-going aide to Cavallo de Guerra. She had come to their rooms shortly before noon. This had given Gupta time to sit down and pen a letter to Bian Insac, who had always proved to be a useful contact:

“My dear Bian

It is with my deepest condolences that I write to you – it was unfair of me to snap at your sensitive and well-intentioned interest. Working so closely on the Oddcog file has brought my sadness at my family’s death to the surface.

But it would be remiss of me not to reassert the position I shared so brusquely. I have not held you in amorous interest and I do not expect my heart to change. I am sorry if my manner has led you on in false belief.

I am afraid my cadre of close female friends is low at the moment else I would offer to put you in touch with someone who might return your affection. Nevertheless, I will always offer counsel in matters of the heart and of wooing.

Please do not let my short temper sunder our comradeship

Gupta

X X”

Alonsa was happy to arrange for it to be sent to Seobriga. She was taking them to lunch with Cavallo on the terrace, she said, but her circuitous route took them past the dining hall, allowing her to explain that it was off-limits at the moment (and heavily guarded) because it was so full of treasure: a dragon hoard that had been secured only a few weeks ago, and had yet to be fully appraised.

They arrived on the sunny, blustery terrace to find an ample buffet. A dire bear slumbered in the shade, and Alonsa introduced it as her pet, Chupacabra. Perhaps they would see it spar if they stayed a few days (and she gestured to a bear pit to the rear of the terrace). Lya Jierre was chatting to Cavallo, but gave way on their arrival with grace and magnanimity.

While she might not have tried to urge him to attack Manhill, Lya had muddied the waters by warning Cavallo that they came to manipulate him. Korrigan countered that it was not his intention to play the Bruse’s game, but anything they could do to help heal their differences could only be a good thing. Cavallo shrugged as if this mattered not one jot to him, but Korrigan could tell that it did. The orc was old, and this on-going enmity was pointless and tiring.

Their chat was momentarily interrupted when Cavallo’s daughter began to bring her children onto the terrace. Cavallo bridled and hastily ushered her away. She noticed the strangers and looked aghast, hastily scooping up her youngest child (whose leg was bandaged) and spiriting him away even quicker than the others.

Leon arrived just as she left.

Their conversation with the Cavallo was actually made easier by the fact that their cards were now on the table. It was a matter of trying to openly establish his price for cooperation, rather than subtly coax it out of him. He mentioned a pesky tribe of goblins that needed dealing with, and they hesitantly broached the subject of the disease infecting the common folk. (Cavallo certainly doubted their chances of helping in this regard.) Melissa Amerie was helpful enough to raise the subject of Cavallo’s daughter and the widespread hope that Corta Nariz might one day be Bruse. Cavallo clearly enjoyed the idea, but could not bring himself to set too much store by it in public. Korrigan asked if it might be possible to meet her. (Being Korrigan, he wouldn’t want to go along with a plan to raise her to the throne without establishing her suitability.) Cavallo shrugged and said she was busy with the affairs of the fleet, but Alonsa was more helpful said she might visit in the next few days. At this point Leon mentioned the positive response from Rock Rackus and they began to hatch a plan to have Corta Nariz speak at the concert they hoped to stage in Seobriga, thereby raising her public profile and killing two birds with one stone.

Cavallo then made sense of one of Copperhat’s crazy outbursts: he asked if they could wield Risuri influence on the archfey Beshela and grant him broader access to the shipping lanes. They promised to try and the old orc seemed satisfied.

Meanwhile, on the other side of Ber, Conquo and Uru had inadvertently alarmed the officers of Liss Railways who, despite having been warned to expect ‘outside help’, were not expecting a shadowy gremlin and a giant golem. They were too scared to object when Uru began tinkering with the next outbound supply train and, with Conquo shovelling firegems as fast as he could, took the locomotive up to frightening speeds, heedless of the screams of the engineers. They were at the staging town in no time! (Although the engine was badly damaged, as were the nerves of every passenger.)

Having learned his lesson, Uru took the more conventional form of a goblin engineer (little realising the Beran prejudice that goblins could not master any technology more complex than a rope).

Here in Aigotsura they found not one but ten huge golems being put through their paces by Surtan Liss, the crimson-clad, jewel-encrusted owner of Liss Railways, who casually ate live mice from a bowl as the demonstration went on. These golems were simple, mindless machines, but very effective - property of one Benedict Pemberton, who was in attendance, along with his one-eyed, one-armed daughter. Xambria challenged one of these golems to a race and (after an oddly one-sided disagreement with the other occupant of her head: “No, you can’t take on all ten!”) handed control over to Conquo who easily outpaced the specialised construct Pemberton had been trying to sell to Liss.

Bubble duly burst, they bargained Pemberton down to instalments, and took possession of the ten machines. This completely cleaned them out of cash, but rather that (they decided) than have them go to the Ob!

Last edited:

Remove ads