D&D 5E Settling a player argument with Suggestion

pming

Legend
Hiya!

So Charm Person lasts 1 hour per casting. Once it expires the person you charmed knows you charmed them and may not be all that receptive to you twisting their free will in this fashion. How does that days...weeks...months thing work in this case?

I'll answer that for [MENTION=23935]Nagol[/MENTION]. He is/was playing 1e AD&D. In it, how long the spell lasted depended on the Intelligence of the creature charmed. If you were some sort of super-genius (19+ Intelligence), the duration was 1 Day. If you were dumb as a rock (3 Intelligence) it was 3 months. If you were of average Intelligence (10 Int, lets say), it was 3 weeks.

Yeah...1e Charm Person is nothing to sneeze at.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Have any of you ever had to deal with players settling an argument by one party member casting Suggestion on another? Inter-party charm spells in general feel like they would require a lot of maturity on the part of the players to go with it.

Let me make sure I have the scenario right, because this seems to have a fairly narrow window:

There is an in-character argument about something that the players of the characters also don't agree on and at least one resolution is short enough to happen during the duration of a suggestion spell.

So one character casts suggestion on the other, and moves forward with their solution? (And also without any in-game pushback from the rest of the party of "hey, that's not how we settle arguments / don't do that to other party members?)

Hiya!

I'll answer that for [MENTION=23935]Nagol[/MENTION]. He is/was playing 1e AD&D. In it, how long the spell lasted depended on the Intelligence of the creature charmed. If you were some sort of super-genius (19+ Intelligence), the duration was 1 Day. If you were dumb as a rock (3 Intelligence) it was 3 months. If you were of average Intelligence (10 Int, lets say), it was 3 weeks.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I remember that!

Nagol

Unimportant
Hiya!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

That is the time between saving throws! It only ends when the victim finally saves. So a really low Int low-level creature can be charmed for years.

If it fits the behavior of the character to do so I see no problem with it in a game. It's a part of playing a character. Not all characters do what others want them to do. However you need a table of players who won't take it personally, but that is on the players and I wouldn't fault the player casting the spell for playing their character correctly if they were doing so.

If such actions would make people upset/angry at the table then it is not okay since the idea of playing a game is for all the participants to have fun. I don't think inter-party conflicts are always bad, but generally you do want the PCs to get along regardless.

No, I’ve not had to resolve someone using Suggestion on another PC. Count me as another no-PVP at my table DM. I tell my players that they can’t do anything that requires a dice roll against another PC. And beyond that, I always ask the PC subjected to whatever nonsense is going on “do you let this happen you?” 90% of the time, the answer is no.

While it’s possible for PVP to work in a game, more often than not, more often than not it seems that it’s one PC trying to bully another, or jockeying in some sort of immature dominance game.

Remove ads