• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Settling a player argument with Suggestion

fil512

Explorer
Have any of you ever had to deal with players settling an argument by one party member casting Suggestion on another? Inter-party charm spells in general feel like they would require a lot of maturity on the part of the players to go with it.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
No. First, my players don't get into arguments because we all agree it's not worth our time. We have a method for getting on the same page very quickly so we can move forward.

Second, even if someone did cast a spell on another player character, the player of the spell's target gets to decide how that works out. That diffuses unilateral PVP straight away and makes it consensual.

ccs

41st lv DM
Shouldn't require any more maturity than when my (the DM) NPCs cast such spells on a character.

Certainly doesn't require any more rules.

Chase Skylark

First Post
I've seen this or similar actions quite a number of times. It immediately devolves into some sort of pvp nonsense or it's the creepy guy trying to molest the female character. Generally I consider it a no go when I'm DM, but then I dislike pvp in general and the immature escalation of combat that invariably ensues. Then again it could just be that my players are immature ****heads so experiences may vary.

Yeah, I don't PVP at my table. It's a great way to destroy a game and an even better way to get the stink eye and one step from being kicked from the game by me, the DM.

Nagol

Unimportant
Have any of you ever had to deal with players settling an argument by one party member casting Suggestion on another? Inter-party charm spells in general feel like they would require a lot of maturity on the part of the players to go with it.

I only have to deal with it by watching the saving throw of the victim and making certain the behaviour is appropriately adjusted to account for the magical effect while it is active. In short, it's about as onerous as a NPC effect on a PC.

I confess in 1e, one of my tactics for first meetings is to cast Charm Person on suspect new party members and then treat them as good friends while the spell is in effect. No abuse, provide aid as necessary, only ask for necessary help, always bargain fairly, etc. It is a way to short-circuit the whole "let's learn to trust one another" and reduce "I stab the party in the back" set ups. By the time the spell wears off days, weeks, or months later we're solid companions. When confronted about the magic, I ask the victim to name one time I took advantage of the effect and explain it was simply insurance against ulterior motive since we didn't know one another.

Suggestion is not mind control. If you don't word it in a way that the TARGET perceives as REASONABLE, the spell fails.

WIZARD: "I suggest that you go sit in that patch of poison ivy over there."

BARBARIAN: "Sure, after you test it out for me first." *picks up Wizard*

WIZARD: "Wait! I suggest you put me down right now!"

BARBARIAN: "Sorry, but it's just not reasonable to ask me for that now that I'm so pissed."

I only have to deal with it by watching the saving throw of the victim and making certain the behaviour is appropriately adjusted to account for the magical effect while it is active. In short, it's about as onerous as a NPC effect on a PC.

I confess in 1e, one of my tactics for first meetings is to cast Charm Person on suspect new party members and then treat them as good friends while the spell is in effect. No abuse, provide aid as necessary, only ask for necessary help, always bargain fairly, etc. It is a way to short-circuit the whole "let's learn to trust one another" and reduce "I stab the party in the back" set ups. By the time the spell wears off days, weeks, or months later we're solid companions. When confronted about the magic, I ask the victim to name one time I took advantage of the effect and explain it was simply insurance against ulterior motive since we didn't know one another.

So Charm Person lasts 1 hour per casting. Once it expires the person you charmed knows you charmed them and may not be all that receptive to you twisting their free will in this fashion. How does that days...weeks...months thing work in this case?

Oofta

Legend
I don't allow it. As has been mentioned, suggestion and charm wear off after a while. Once the spell is no longer in effect the target, the target knows what happened*. That leads to PVP or at least a PC (and possibly player) leaving.

A player has to agree to have a spell cast on them by a fellow party member except under extenuating circumstances.

*I rule that even in the case of suggestion, the target knows they were ensorcelled unless the suggestion was incredibly subtle.

Common sense applied to the situation would be that one would not attempt to antagonistically use enchantment on their own fellow party members because it would make it more difficult to continue cooperating towards their shared objectives once the magic wears off.

Going against common sense for the PCs would make it an out-of-game issue with the players, not the PCs.

Remove ads