D&D 5E Does a D&D Videogame have to be turn-based?

Should the next D&D videogame use a turn-based mechanic?

• Yes. Turn-based FTW!

Votes: 47 67.1%
  • No. I don't want turns in my videogames.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Other; I will explain in the comments.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I am not a number! I am free man! Your polls do not constrain me!

Votes: 9 12.9%

• Poll closed .

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I just looked it up.

Original, or the Sequel (Original Sin 2)?

How does it play on consoles? I do most of my games (except, ahem, Civ) on consoles.

Both games are quite good. However, I do not play consoles much, especially if a game is also out on the far superior PC platform. I cannot say how well it feels on a console.

On the subject of the poll however, I could see cases for turned-based or against it.

I think a large part of the problem lies with expectations with RPG video games, and how D&D is played.

People expect to use skills, combat skills, in an RPG, whether that be real time, or turned-based. These are not always a thing in D&D. Classes get some abilities or spells, but they are all limited on use, needing time to recharge.

This works well for D&D at least it sure seems that way, but for a video game this is more problematic. Putting limits on these abilities in the video game would then result in the eventual need to just basic attack after basic attack, until the player finally decided to rest. That makes for some odd pacing when thinking video games. Both for real time and turn-based.

From a designer's point a view, 4e had maybe a smoother system for translating into video games. Encounter powers recharged after each fight, and you got enough of them to not just be stuck auto-attacking. it eased this odd pacing that could arise. While still having your big dailies or utility/movement abilities in reserve.

Successful games that I have seen in RPGs all have a cooldowns or turn timers on abilities, big and small. That is just not what I think of when imagining playing D&D. Battles can be more narrative or fast paced that can cut down on any monotony that one may feel. It is hard to capture.

It would almost need to have some element of like... a Dynasty warriors or Elder scrolls in it. Sure, you are just hacking away, but it can feel a bit more visceral than what it really is, standing in place and swinging your sword. Just like how I feel when playing a good game of D&D.

Don't get me wrong, I can feel bored in a D&D type table game if the combat or system is just not exciting (I'm looking at you pathfinder and 3.5).

I hope that in all this rambling, I have made some sort of sense.

As Iserith stated though, a D&D game that felt and played like Darkest Dungeon would be something I would totally try out. Sounds great. Which would be a vote to a turn-based against what I have just previously talked about.

So... I don't think turn-based or real time matters. It is if the games flow of combat, and pacing feel right. If it feels like combat in a good D&D campaign. You are invested and striving for that good outcome, or in some cases to just make it out with your character alive.

D&D as a video game is hard to quantify I think. And I am too busy at work today to devote the amount of thought it would take to properly tackle this topic at the moment.

Hillsy7

First Post
I just looked it up.

Original, or the Sequel (Original Sin 2)?

How does it play on consoles? I do most of my games (except, ahem, Civ) on consoles.

Plays great on consoles. Only pain is inventory management and crafting.....it's functional, but from what I've seen of the pc version it's no where near as good.

Get the original. Is consistently rated 9/10 for good reason.....

Sacrosanct

Legend
Isn't that just a pause button, though? Lots of games have pause buttons.

Just my opinion, obviously. But if you're pausing after every one of your turns (especially if you have classes like casters or using abilities), then I'd consider it a de facto turn based game, even if the turns aren't explicit. Contrasted to games like diablo and Skyrim, where you can't pause and pre-plan out the actions for that PCs next turn while paused.

Hillsy7

First Post

I agree. I wouldn't call it turn based because everything happens at the same time, which causes problems. I stopped playing pillars of eternity because the AI pathfinder in active pause was so spectacularly annoying. A true turn based game doesn't have that problem.....

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I am also playing Divinity 2 at the moment, it's rather fun.

But if you are interested in a totally different kind of RPG that also does turn based combat extremely well: Consider playing the Mario & Luigi rpg games. In particular, the "action command" system is something worth poaching. I have also heard good things about Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, of all things (which itself borrows heavily from the xcom series, a turn based tactical game).

Also
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]
The turns were intended to be "behind the scenes" but there was a setting you could change to make the game auto-pause.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

I think there's a substantial difference between a pause button that freezes the game entirely and one that halts the unfolding action and allows you to manipulate future actions.

For the record, real-time or pause-able real time, please, not turn based.

Also for the record, the most recent XCOM games are both turn based and do well on the consoles. Despite both of these games being excellent, my favorite in the XCOM/X-COM line is Apocalypse, which allowed play in a pause-able real time action. Some of those firefights were epic!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think there's a substantial difference between a pause button that freezes the game entirely and one that halts the unfolding action and allows you to manipulate future actions.

It’s not dissimilar to the Total War series - you can pause the game, issue commands while paused if you like, then unpause. I’d struggle to call Total War’s battle mode turn based (though the campaign map obviously is, explicitly so).

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
It’s not dissimilar to the Total War series - you can pause the game, issue commands while paused if you like, then unpause. I’d struggle to call Total War’s battle mode turn based (though the campaign map obviously is, explicitly so).

Okay, but that wasn't my point. Being able to play the game while the action is paused is substantially different from just having a pause button was.

I tend to break it down into real time, real time pauseable, and turn based. There's some slop at the edges of each category, but those work for general description and understanding of the play concepts.

Hillsy7

First Post
Okay, but that wasn't my point. Being able to play the game while the action is paused is substantially different from just having a pause button was.

I tend to break it down into real time, real time pauseable, and turn based. There's some slop at the edges of each category, but those work for general description and understanding of the play concepts.

Yup - In my experience, Turn Based, Real Time, and Active Pause play completely differently.

Remove ads