D&D 5E New Primal Path and Why it is OP

William Hola

Villager
Who else has noticed that the new primal path (barbarian) Zealot is way too overpowered at level 14? If I am reading it correctly, the barbarian is unkillable if he has a good healer or just a few healing potions. For those people who don’t have the book yet, it says that while the barbarian in raging he cannot get the unconscious effect due to getting to 0 HP and if he gets healed even after “dying” due to death saving throws he can still stay alive. That means if he is level 15 per say and he has a nice regenerate spell casted on him, he won't die. Do yall have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Who else has noticed that the new primal path (barbarian) Zealot is way too overpowered at level 14? If I am reading it correctly, the barbarian is unkillable if he has a good healer or just a few healing potions. For those people who don’t have the book yet, it says that while the barbarian in raging he cannot get the unconscious status effect and if he gets healed even after “dying” due to death saving throws he can still stay alive. That means if he is level 15 per say and he has a nice regenerate spell casted on him, he won't die. Do yall have any thoughts on this?

That's true only if you assume opponents of the barbarian will only use damaging attacks.

Easiest way to deal with it is to put them in "time out" of some kind after they get into the danger zone. Banishment, Maze, Hold Monster/Person, Suggestion (Run home as fast as you can...), etc.

phantomK9

Explorer
At that level, death is really only a nuisance anyway. And in most fights this would only come up at most 2 or 3 times during the combat....assuming the Barbarian was ever even reduced to 0 hp as they have a massive amount of hp anyway.

William Hola

Villager
True guys, my main barbarian (level ten Totem Warrior, Adventures League) has only twice ever reached zero hit points (without popping back up) but he is build as a tank and is resistant to all damages while in rage, has 130 HP, and has a 19 AC. Caliban, I was more or less thinking it is overpowered while having its buddies warding off enemy spellcasters while he/she stood there like an awesome meat shield. If I am correct the path is about the most berserk barbarian path yet (if you know what I mean).

I guess it is less than a nuisance for this guy since it does not cost anything to revive him...

MiraMels

Explorer
They still make death saving throws as normal, and die if they fail three, right? Successful attack rolls and other sources of damage will count for failed saves, when they're still conscious at 0 hit points. It's perfectly plausible for the barbarian to take enough hits to kill them during a 15th level combat encounter, even with regenerate cast upon them.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
They still make death saving throws as normal, and die if they fail three, right?

Not exactly - they die at the end of their rage if they fail 3. Until then they are dead on their feet and still fighting. Unless they get any healing before their rage ends. Such as popping a potion after you kill the last of your opponents.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Caliban, I was more or less thinking it is overpowered while having its buddies warding off enemy spellcasters while he/she stood there like an awesome meat shield. If I am correct the path is about the most berserk barbarian path yet (if you know what I mean).

It does mean they are incredibly vulnerable to a lot of "insta-kill" effects while at 0 HP. Disintegrate, Power Word Kill, Finger of Death, etc.

William Hola

Villager
I really do not know if that feature protects you from "instant-kill" effects or not.

Part of me is saying that it would just because of how it is worded but another part is saying not so much.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I really do not know if that feature protects you from "instant-kill" effects or not.

Part of me is saying that it would just because of how it is worded but another part is saying not so much.

I'm not 100% certain either, but I'm leaning toward "You dead, real dead."

Probably a good question for Sage Advice.

Waterbizkit

Explorer
A Zealot operating at zero hit points and three failed death saves can be instantly killed with a level one sleep spell with no save allowed, so no, it's not an especially overpowered feature. It's cool, thematic, and useful, but not overpowered.

Remove ads