Failing Forward

How do you feel about Fail Forward mechanics?

• I like Fail Forward

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • I dislike Fail Forward

Votes: 26 16.5%
  • I do not care one way or the other

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I like it but only in certain situations

Votes: 49 31.0%

Imaro

Legend
It's funny - I get the exact same impression with you with regard to improvisation and narrative styles.

I'd like you to give actual game examples of improvised sessions you've run where you felt yourself to be railroading the players so we can see how you managed it, since that is something you've claimed happens.

Oh, I understand and even enjoy narrative and improv styles with the right games... 13th Age, FATE (Gods & Monsters, Kerberos Club), Numenera, etc. So please don't assume... However when I see one playstyle (or set of tools) that I also use being blatantly mis-represented by people who have admitted to not liking/using them... well I tend to argue for the other side.

Speaking of mis-representing...Where did I claim railroading happens due to improv in sessions? In fact here's my actual stance as I posted it much earlier in the thread while addressing @LostSoul...

Hey @LostSoul I think you might be a little confused as to why this tangent sprung up... I'm not saying the bias should be gotten rid of or even that it's a bad thing, but if you can argue that pre-prepping + human nature will make me more likely to "railroad" towards what I have created... I in turn believe having free reign to improv anything within the realm of it fitting the fiction coupled with human nature will lead to one being more likely to "railroad" towards the story I want or envision. If you look back at my previous posts I don't believe either of these to be a result of the particular tools of the respective playstyles but more based in the DM running the game. The reason I am bringing up the biases, preferences, etc. in relation to the story now playstyle is to provide a counterpoint to the assumptions around pre-prep railroading.

Which was in response to this tidbit originally posted by @Manbearcat...
3) The lack of temptation to subvert player action declarations + the authentic outcomes of the resolution mechanics (typically covertly) which shoehorns play toward your heavily prepped material (of which you will inevitably be invested in its manifestation during play).

This 3 is also an advantage for the players as it is insurance that their agency is maximized with respect to dictating outcomes (the aggregation of which becomes "story").

Where he basically states that pre-prepped games are more disposed towards railroading (which I disagree with, just as I disagree with improv/narrative being more or less pre-disposed to railroading)... I believe there are DM's who will railroad and it doesn't matter what style they will use because both empower the DM to the point where he can do it if he wants.

But please don't let what I've actually posted stop you form continuing to tell me what I've claimed and what I need to prove... :erm:

Right quick (no time to post anything of consequence). I've sped read some posts and I just want to clarify something. I'll try to post something more meaty this weekend (assuming the time).

1) There is a vast, sweeping chasm between my claim of "heavy prepped setting and metaplot creates temptation (proportionate to investment) to introduce this content into play regardless of play outcomes" and "heavily prepped games invariably lead to railroads."

2) I've GMed tons of established settings. I'm extremely familiar with FR, Planescape, Dark Sun and have run games in all of these settings. I very, very much agree with [MENTION=205]TwoSix[/MENTION]. If there is not a level of symmetry within the players of understanding and appreciation for the setting, one or two players (with keen understanding of and advocacy for the setting) have a grand ole time where the other players are basically tourists whereby our play conversation (between they and I or they and the other "in the know" players) consists of far too much "expository dialogue/setting dumps" in order for them to access the necessary backstory which is a prerequisite for the excited immersion of the enlightened few.

I don't have antipathy for them. It is just that, while quite proficient, I do not particularly enjoy running them (but will, and even have in the last few years) because of this dynamic. Running an FR game for a few fans who are in the know (whereby metaplot/setting dumps aren't necessary) is much less tedious, so long as that knowledge is pretty symmetrical.

3) I've run hundreds and hundreds of hours of prep-heavy hexcrawls and theme-neutral sandbox games where "pushing play toward conflict" is anathema.

4) Outside of low-prep, high-improv "story now" play, my other primary gaming is one-off dungeon crawls (with RC or houseruled AD&D depending on the group) where I heavily prep the dungeon setting.

These games are different in their GM latitude and in the focus and clarity of their play directives. GM guidance stridently saying things like "Follow the Rules" and "Draw Maps, Leave Blanks" and "Play to Find Out What Happens and "Push Play Toward Conflict" and "Fill Their Lives With Danger" and "Challenge Their Beliefs/Relationships" (among other things) and the system (resolution mechanics and PC build components) interfacing directly with these transparent GM dictates such that play snowballs precisely along the sought paradigm is a very different dynamic than GM guidance saying muted or inverted forms of the above and the system designed to "generate objective/binary outcomes" while players move about in a heavily established, granular setting (with or without prolific metaplots at the forefront as the primary driver of play).

[MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION], I'll try to post this weekend and address your question about the line of demarcation between loose prep and heavy prep.

innerdude

Legend
So...
1. You pre-prep all the time.
2. It's not actually about pre-prepping for a campaign it's about how/when you introduce the pre-prepped material.

Does the above about sum it up?

Now I thought one of the benefits to improv play was to cut down on the out of game work... you know that work that's not really part of the game. But here it seems as if you are doing just as much or more work, prepping material with the added disadvantage that it may or may not be used...

Just a few thoughts ---

I don't know that the point of "just-in-time" GM-ing is to save prep time per se. The benefit of "just-in-time" GM-ing is that it empowers players and fosters engagement toward things that matter to the players within the fiction.

Preparation time goes down when you have a game system that allows you to prepare quickly, and/or generate usable elements that require mechanical resolution "just in time" within the game. I welcome player input to the fiction and allow high levels of freedom for my players to choose what they do and where they go, because I know that if there's ever a situation where I need to generate an element of the fiction "on the fly," with Savage Worlds I can say, "Give me 30 to 60 seconds to jot down some ideas." And whatever it is they want to interact with, I can almost always conceivably make a viable, fun encounter.

Sometimes there are things in the fiction that I'm not sure about, but I don't necessarily just say "yes" to the players right off the cuff (though this is becoming more rare as I've discovered that most of the time it's just easier and more fun to say "yes"). In these cases I'll do a simple percentile roll and ask the player, "High or low?" If the player's particularly invested in it, I'll even let them negotiate with me how probable they think it should be. The players seem to find this a reasonable compromise when I don't just say yes outright, because then once we've set what's at stake in the fiction, I'm no longer the arbiter or not; it's the dice that tell the tale.

I get where @Imaro is going with the idea that it doesn't matter whether something is pre-prepped a week in advance or thrown on the table spur-of-the-moment, there is potential for a GM's biases to affect what is presented. If the GM's interested in having the PCs fight pirates, it doesn't matter if the GM has meticulously planned out a pirate crew weeks before, or the first time the players set foot in a seaport and make a failed check to gather information and the pirates just "magically appear" right then. If the GM wants pirates, the PCs get pirates.

And I think the idea behind this, if a GM's biases are going to become evident in play, why not have the GM go through the necessary prep so that the pirate encounter---when presented---is more fully fleshed out, potentially balanced, and meaningful?

In terms of when to introduce a pre-planned/pre-prepped element, I do think the timing matters. In @pemerton's example, if I had an in-fiction element of the well, and in my head had initially thought that the well was just dry, but the player says, "Someone's poisoned the well, haven't they?" Well now guess what --- the well is poisoned, and not just dried up. And now they've potentially expressed interest in WHO poisoned the well . . . so maybe it's a good time to introduce a new fictional element of the NPC well poisoner.

"Fail forward" / low prep / "just-in-time" GM-ing is also highly, HIGHLY contingent on the players being willing to have characters that express beliefs and have motivations in play, and the system needs to correctly position the characters in the fiction when played towards type.

There's a definite balance between pre-prepping and "just in time" GM-ing, but I've found the more you can push yourself into the "just in time" GM-ing spectrum, the better your game ends up.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
As I said, there is no confusion. The players in a sandbox of the sort you describe don't choose the key plot elements, nor are those elements authored and/or introduced into play in response to the signals sent by the players in the build/play of their PCs. They are chosen in advance by the GM and laid out as possibilities for the players to interact with (via their PCs).

Of course they choose the key plot elements, or at least they can. I ran a game a few years ago where the party decided to go to Calimport and steal a ship and become pirates. They gave me the plot and goal and I ran with it. Yes, I pre-authored a bunch of stuff based on their key plot elements, but a lot of how I run is also improv. I run a mix of both. The world, however, is the Forgotten Realms and they love coming up with plots for me to run in that pre-authored environment.

grendel111111

First Post
Just a few thoughts ---

I don't know that the point of "just-in-time" GM-ing is to save prep time per se. The benefit of "just-in-time" GM-ing is that it empowers players and fosters engagement toward things that matter to the players within the fiction.

Preparation time goes down when you have a game system that allows you to prepare quickly, and/or generate usable elements that require mechanical resolution "just in time" within the game. I welcome player input to the fiction and allow high levels of freedom for my players to choose what they do and where they go, because I know that if there's ever a situation where I need to generate an element of the fiction "on the fly," with Savage Worlds I can say, "Give me 30 to 60 seconds to jot down some ideas." And whatever it is they want to interact with, I can almost always conceivably make a viable, fun encounter.

Sometimes there are things in the fiction that I'm not sure about, but I don't necessarily just say "yes" to the players right off the cuff (though this is becoming more rare as I've discovered that most of the time it's just easier and more fun to say "yes"). In these cases I'll do a simple percentile roll and ask the player, "High or low?" If the player's particularly invested in it, I'll even let them negotiate with me how probable they think it should be. The players seem to find this a reasonable compromise when I don't just say yes outright, because then once we've set what's at stake in the fiction, I'm no longer the arbiter or not; it's the dice that tell the tale.

I get where @Imaro is going with the idea that it doesn't matter whether something is pre-prepped a week in advance or thrown on the table spur-of-the-moment, there is potential for a GM's biases to affect what is presented. If the GM's interested in having the PCs fight pirates, it doesn't matter if the GM has meticulously planned out a pirate crew weeks before, or the first time the players set foot in a seaport and make a failed check to gather information and the pirates just "magically appear" right then. If the GM wants pirates, the PCs get pirates.

And I think the idea behind this, if a GM's biases are going to become evident in play, why not have the GM go through the necessary prep so that the pirate encounter---when presented---is more fully fleshed out, potentially balanced, and meaningful?

In terms of when to introduce a pre-planned/pre-prepped element, I do think the timing matters. In @pemerton's example, if I had an in-fiction element of the well, and in my head had initially thought that the well was just dry, but the player says, "Someone's poisoned the well, haven't they?" Well now guess what --- the well is poisoned, and not just dried up. And now they've potentially expressed interest in WHO poisoned the well . . . so maybe it's a good time to introduce a new fictional element of the NPC well poisoner.

"Fail forward" / low prep / "just-in-time" GM-ing is also highly, HIGHLY contingent on the players being willing to have characters that express beliefs and have motivations in play, and the system needs to correctly position the characters in the fiction when played towards type.

There's a definite balance between pre-prepping and "just in time" GM-ing, but I've found the more you can push yourself into the "just in time" GM-ing spectrum, the better your game ends up.

I think there are really good points here. Unless the DM is just saying no every time that the player does anything slightly unexpected then everyone is using a balance of the two styles. some people sit heavily on one side of the spectrum or the other and some sit in the middle using tools from both.

Your last point I would like to discuss.... I think people do have a "tipping point" and if they move over that tipping point too fast or too far in either direction they can crash their game.
All the examples of just in time have shown it being used masterfully, the DM and players smoothly interacting and seemlessly coming up with a tight narrative. But that often doesn't happen (and most likely won't) when you first start out.
I sat through one game where the DM wanted to try it but did not have the improve skills to pull it off. Every action the players took resulted in 15-20 minutes of the DM saying "just wait a minute while I figure out what happens next". Some people do not do improv well (and some people do not know they don't do it well). Even after that time every battle ended up being the equivalent of a wandering monster encounter with no thought going into terrain, environment, objectives, etc. Yet when he pre-planned games he was running great set pieces that were really fun. His "tipping point" was closer to the pre-prepped side of the scale. (This can of coarse change over time, too.)
However when you move in the direction of "story-now"and add tools from improv to your gaming tool box it can be of benefit even if you don't go all in on "story-now" style. Just like if you add some pre prepped elements to a purely story now game it can improve how those games run.

I suspect it will go the other way too. if someone is very comfortable in story-now and try to go too pre-prep then they will feel it doesn't work for them, maybe it will feel "flat".

pemerton

Legend
And yet as people have pointed out the pinball explanation misses the point.

I think you are confusing background, character, elements with "plot".
I'm not confusing them. I'm asserting that, in a sandbox or some other pre-authored game, the story elements (people, places, things, perhaps even some events like a room in which an ogre is torturing a kobold, or a city that is under siege) are authored by the GM independently of the players' play of their PCs.

The reason [MENTION=27570]sheadunne[/MENTION] used the "pinball" characterisation is because, in this sort of game, he feels no deep connection between his PC and these pre-authored elements of the shared fiction.

I never claimed it was the same as GM pre-authorship... I claimed the results, a campaign world that revolves around the PC's backstory and changes/responds to the player's decisions and actions can be attained in a pre- prepped (you started using pre-authored) campaign...
But you haven't explained how, except by saying that a pre-authored game can approximate a non-preauthored one by bringing the authorship as close as possible in time to player decision-making and action resolution (eg by doing it all between sessions). To me, that just seems to show that if you approximate a technique you'll get approximately similar results.

Upthread, you've said that introducing some fictional element in response to a failed check is just like randomising the introduction of that element. And other posters (eg [MENTION=6698278]Emerikol[/MENTION], I think [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]) have talked about randomly determining whether or not an object is dropped while climbing, rather than narrating that as a consequence of failure. To me, these suggestions are like saying that introducing some event (say, PC death) in relation to a failed check (say, in combat) is no different from just rolling a die to see if a PC dies. I think most RPGers would think there's a big difference between actually playing through a combat, in which the players get to make and resolve action declarations for their PCs, and the GM just saying "There's a 30% chance your PC dies in this fight" and rolling the percentile dice. Introducing adverse fictional elements by way of "fail forward" narration is extending this common RPGer intuition to a greater range of story elements and consequences.

the tribe is behaving how the DM wants (and this is actually one of the differences I see in the two approaches) there is no objectivity here such as when using NPC reaction rules from D&D.
But that's the whole point of using "fail forward" - on a success, the fictional situation becomes as the player (and PC) desired, as reflected in the terms of the action declaration; on a failure, the fictional situation becomes in some way contrary to that, as authored by the GM. The player's failure gives the GM licence to introduce some complication.

what I've made the claim is that the DM will be pre-disposed towards and have the power to shape the outcome of the game to produce the story he/she wants. You're example of the Dark Elf... clearly shows that a Dm pre-disposed towards including an element will put it into the "story" and chaochou has shown the DM has the power to totally reverse a situation when improving so I'm not sure what else I need to "prove"?
The reason I was able to introduce the dark elf as I did, or have the mace be with the dark elf; and the reason that [MENTION=99817]chaochou[/MENTION] was able to have the tribe/cult turn on the PC in his game; was because the players declared checks and then failed them! Had those checks succeeded, the players (and PCs) would have got what they wanted: in my game, the PCs would have made it to the ruined tower without any of the waterholes being fouled, and they would have found the mace when they searched for it; in chaochou's game, had the check succeeded the tribe would have done as the PC wanted (and not instead tried to burn her).

Hence the whole idea - as discussed by designers like Robin Laws (in various HeroWars/Quest books), Luke Crane (in BW books), etc - that the game unfolds as a back and forth between success and failure.

But the GM is not producing the story s/he wants. S/he is not in charge of action declaration; and s/he doesn't decide the outcome of the dice when they are rolled. S/he is generally in charge of scene-framing, but the basic principle of these games is that scenes should be framed with reference to player signals (expressed via build and play of PCs, and sometimes involving special mechanics like BW Beliefs and Instincts) - which is quite different from the pre-authorship that causes the "pinball" experience [MENTION=27570]sheadunne[/MENTION] referred to upthread.

The story of the dark elf in my game ended with the dark elf being taken prisoner, then tortured and interrogated, then dying as a result of that torture. The dark elf being taken prisoner was a result of a successful player check. The dark elf dying under torture was a result of a failed player check (or maybe more than one - I can't remember the details now). As for the mace, as I recounted already upthread it ended up washing down the stream (a failed check by a player whose PC was trying to recover it from the dark elf's cave) and being recovered by the two PCs who were wanting it (a series of successful checks to intimidate and then burgle some Keep servants).

I didn't want that story. Nor did I not want it. It hadn't occurred to me that things would unfold like that until they did.

So again a demonstration that you really have no limitations beyond a logical tie to fiction (again where you as DM decide the line that can't be crossed) in controlling and manipulating the story in the spur of the moment... and yet you don't see how a DM's biases, preferences, etc. have just as great if not a greater chance as a DM who pre-preps ending up railroading at improv 'ing the game towards the outcome he as DM wants (whether consciously or subconsciously)
What is the outcome that I pushed the game towards?

I think this is the third, maybe fourth, time that I've cited this Paul Czege passage in this thread:

There are two points to a scene - Point A, where the PCs start the scene, and Point B, where they end up. . . . Good narrativism [= story now, "fail forward", etc] will . . . [let] the GM create a compelling Point A, and let the players dictate what Point B is (ie, there is no Point B prior to the scene beginning).​

. . . [A]lthough roleplaying games typically feature scene transition, by "scene framing" we're talking about a subset of scene transition that features a different kind of intentionality. My personal inclination is to call the traditional method "scene extrapolation," because the details of the Point A of scenes initiated using the method are typically arrived at primarily by considering the physics of the game world, what has happened prior to the scene, and the unrevealed actions and aspirations of characters that only the GM knows about.

"Scene framing" is a very different mental process for me. Tim asked if scene transitions were delicate. They aren't. Delicacy is a trait I'd attach to "scene extrapolation," the idea being to make scene initiation seem an outgrowth of prior events, objective, unintentional, non-threatening, but not to the way I've come to frame scenes in games I've run recently. . . . I'm having trouble capturing in dispassionate words what it's like, so I'm going to have to dispense with dispassionate words. By god, when I'm framing scenes, and I'm in the zone, I'm turning a freakin' firehose of adversity and situation on the character. It is not an objective outgrowth of prior events. It's intentional as all get out. We've had a group character session, during which it was my job to find out what the player finds interesting about the character. And I know what I find interesting. I frame the character into the middle of conflicts I think will push and pull in ways that are interesting to me and to the player. I keep NPC personalities somewhat unfixed in my mind, allowing me to retroactively justify their behaviors in support of this. And like Scott's "Point A to Point B" model says, the outcome of the scene is not preconceived.

The introduction of complications is not meant to be independent of the GM's inclinations. As [MENTION=386]LostSoul[/MENTION] said, you play with someone because you like their ideas, and they way they deploy them. But the GM has no capacity to control outcomes, for the reasons I already stated in this post.

(Notice also that Czege contrasts the use of "secret backstory" with scene-framing/story now/"fail forward"-type techniques.)

1. You pre-prep all the time.
2. It's not actually about pre-prepping for a campaign it's about how/when you introduce the pre-prepped material.

<snip>

Ideas aren't fully statted up NPC's... the whole point of improv is that you don't have to do all that non-play, pointless work
The phrase I have consistently used is "pre-authorship". I have contrasted play based on pre-authorship - and attendent techniques in play like adjudicating consequences by reference to secret backstory, and the players, by the play of their PCs, discovering or exploring the fiction that the GM has pre-authored - with play based on authorship in response to player action declarations.

Writing up stats for an NPC, or drawing a map for an inn or a castle or a cave, or even writing up a possible backstory for an NPC, is not pre-authorship. It does not establish any fictional content. You think there is some contrast between having an idea for an NPC, and writing that NPC up mechanically - I don't feel the force of the contrast myself, especially for a mechanically heavy game like 4e or BW where an idea isn't really fleshed out until it's given mechanical content.

(In 4e, of course, a whole lot of pre-statted stuff is available via the Monster Manuals, the trap/hazard stats in a range of books, etc. BW has less of that, and so I have to build more of my own.)

Someone a long way upthread - I think [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] - already made the point that "fail forward"/scene-framing play isn't about never preparing material, but is about when the fiction is authored. What is of interest to me is when and how the fiction is authored, and how this is related to adjudication of action declarations (very broadly speaking - is it an input, via "secret backstory", or is it an output, via "fail forward?).

Now I thought one of the benefits to improv play was to cut down on the out of game work

<snip>

yet here you are doing it and even less efficiently that many that pre-prep for their games.
That advantage has been cited by [MENTION=85870]innerdude[/MENTION]. I haven't referred to it, because I don't have a strong view. Building a campaign world takes time; so does writing up NPC or monster stats. 25 or 30 years ago I had more time available, and so spent more time. Now I have a bit over half-an-hour a day of train rides going to and from work, and often spend that time writing up an NPC or thinking about a monster design, or coming up with possible motivations or backstories for NPCs that might fit into the game given its current state. I don't know whether or not I could write up a campaign world in that time, because I've never tried.

The issue of "efficiency" isn't a big deal for me. Writing these things up improves my knowledge of the system and its moving parts; that in itself, plus the inherent pleasure I get in manipulating RPG build elements, is sufficient justification for doing it. (You could think of it as an alternative to doing crosswords, which is another way I sometimes pass the time on the train.)

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
I think there are really good points here. Unless the DM is just saying no every time that the player does anything slightly unexpected then everyone is using a balance of the two styles. some people sit heavily on one side of the spectrum or the other and some sit in the middle using tools from both.
As I've just posted, the question I'm interested in is when is fiction authored? - in advance of and independently of play? or as part of the framing of scenes and the narration of the outcomes of action resolution? And the related issue of the role of secret backstory in adjudicating action declarations.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
As I've just posted, the question I'm interested in is when is fiction authored? - in advance of and independently of play? or as part of the framing of scenes and the narration of the outcomes of action resolution? And the related issue of the role of secret backstory in adjudicating action declarations.

I don't see why the answer cannot be both. If I am creating things in advance of play, that stuff is fiction that the PCs can encounter, so it was authored then. However, there is also the fiction that is authored by the interaction between the game world and the PCs, and that fiction is authored as part of play.

Basically, the DM pre-authored fiction mixes with DM live fiction and player live fiction to create something greater.

grendel111111

First Post

OK, but other people are involved in the conversation too, so if you are interested in only 1 part of the conversation then just focus on that. For you, you want the fiction authored at the time play. I think it results in a less enjoyable game. But that is just preferences in how the game is played.
But I disagree that pre-authored fiction is linked to independent of players.
There are 2 different scales and they are not inseperably linked.
you could have:
1) Pre-authored with no player input.
2) Pre-authored taking into account characters, goals desired, what the players want, etc.
3) In the moment taking into account characters, goals desired, what the players want, etc.
4)In the moment with no player input.

You have a clear preference for number 3 but seems to be insisting if everyone doesn't do it that way they must be playing by method 1. (additionally there are far more than just those 4 options which combine different levels of each).
It is possible for other people to be happy with any of these options (even if you don't like them) and each brings it's own feel to the game.

Where did I claim railroading happens due to improv in sessions?...

I in turn believe having free reign to improv anything within the realm of it fitting the fiction coupled with human nature will lead to one being more likely to "railroad" towards the story I want or envision.

It's not rocket science. I simply asked for examples from your own play which justify this belief. Very simple.

Remove ads