Pathfinder 1E [LPF] Perception is Reality

jbear

First Post
The massive magical giant sneered with disdain at Maui's presence and tried to sail off to attack his companions. The smaller of the two did the same although he moved only a short distance away. Taniwha snapped at his foe... Normally the feline might have missed, but blessed and mentally fuelled by Barlo's pulsating song, on this occaision he bit down a touch faster and a touch harder and teeth gut into flesh, but doesn't get a good enough grip to try and upend the floating oni.

Maui, meanwhile also bit at his enemy as he arrogantly gave him his back as he moved away. His massive jaws bit down hard and tore a considerable chunk of flesh from the giant's hide, but somehow, despite his sticky coat, he somehow managed to wriggle away.

[sblock=AoO]Taniwha AoO Bites 1d20+13= 22 vs AC 24 would normally miss... but I forgot to add +1 haste, +1 bless and Inspire +2 (+4 atk bonus; +2 dmg): So instead it should be 1d20+17=26 hits AC 24 for 1d6+7=15 dmg. Trip Attempt on successful Bite: 1d20+17=21 fails vs CMD 29

NB: Taniwha didn't add this +2 dmg bonus to his last bite, so S Ogremage would have taken +2 dmg last round as well.

Maui AoO Bites 1d20+24=33 hits AC 25 for 3d6+15= 28 dmg
In Dire Tiger form Maui Grabs on a Bite: Grapple attempt 1d20+25=28 vs CMB 33 fails :(

Probably for the best; if he had of grappled successfully Ogre B would have had to have retaken his turn as being grappled by Maui would have changed things considerably for him.[/sblock]

With a roar of frustration at having allowed his prey to escape his grasp, Maui steps off the roof to the ground, his massive magically enlarged legs easily reaching the floor with little more difficulty than a person walking down a step. Following behind the giant, Maui bit the giant again, but much harder this time but still, the wild shaped jungle warrior cannot seem to get a good grip on his large, slippery target.

Taniwha moved in and attacked with a flurry of hasted bites and claws at the other smaller ogre mage from the edge of the roof. Although his attacks are painful, the cheetah cannot manage to tumble the airborn creature.

Updated Map

[sblock=Actions]Given that Maui occupies a 15 ft cube, stepping off a 10 ft roof shouldn't be an issue, right? His legs would be 10ft long at nearly. So move 15 ft into range (10 ft reach) at 13,14,15, H, I, J and Bite with Power Atk vs B: 1d20+22=37 vs AC 25 hits for 3d6+19=28 dmg
Dire Tiger Grab on hit: 1d20+25=29 vs CMD 33 fails :(

Taniwha: 5ft step to G19 and full attack (Hasted) vs S AC27 (+3 AC defensive) Bite 1: 1d20+17=27 hits for 1d6+7=10 dmg ; Haste Bite 2: 1d20+17=36 hits for 1d6+7=9 dmg ; L CLaw 1d20+17=34 hits for 1d3+7=10 dmg; R CLaw 1d20+17=21 misses
Total Dmg: 10+9+10= 29 dmg
Trip Attempt on each bite: 1d20+17=28; 1d20+17=23 vs CMD 29 (Both fail)
Question: Can these guys actually BE tripped?

Summary:
Maui deals 28 + 28 = 56 dmg vs Ogre B
Taniwha deals 15+2+29= 46 dmg vs Ogre S
[/sblock]

[sblock=Lvl 10 Stats]
[http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Maui_(jbear1979) Maui]
Initiative: +4
AC: 23 (Touch 16 ; FFt 19)
HP: 112 (132) Current: 75 (95)
CMB: +15 (+23) (+25 Grapple) CMD: 28 (33) (35 escape grapple) Fort: +13 (+15) Reflex: +11 (+12) Will: +14

Conditions:
Buffs: Resinous Skin (100 mins): DR5/piercing, +2 Grapple/-2 to escape my grapple, Weapons that hit become stuck (REF save DC 18); Bless: +1 morale atk & save vs fear (10 min); Inspire Courage: +2 competence atk/dmg (2r); Haste (9r) +1 atk, ac, REF. 30 ft, extra atk; Animal Growth size category increases (See sheet for many effects on stats; 10 min); shield: +4 shield AC (10 mins)

In Hand:
Cold Iron MW Scimitar: +15/+10; 1d6+7 (Crit 18-20:x2)
and Heavy Shield

Spells: Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Light, Detect Poison
1st: CLW; Longstrider, Entangle, Aspect of the Falcon:USED, Faerie Fire: USED
2nd: Bull's Strength, Bark Skin 2/2, Restoration Lesser, Resist Energy
3rd: Greater Magic Fang 2/2, Resinous Skin: USED, Delay Poison Communal
4th: Thorn Body 2/2, Airwalk, Strong Jaw
5th: Animal Growth:USED , Stone SKin
Wild Shape: 3/5 uses left per day

[sblock=Leopard Shape]
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 18 , touch 18 , flat-footed 14
Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee:Bite +15; 1d8+8; 2 Claws: +15; 1d4 +8 dmg
Special: Trip

[/sblock]

[sblock=Lizard Bird Shape]
Deinonychus
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 18, touch 18 , flat-footed 14
Speed 60 ft.
Melee:Bite +15; 1d6+8; 2 Talons: +15; 1d8+8 dmg; Foreclaws: +9; 1d4+5
Special: Pounce

[/sblock]

[sblock=Dire Tiger Shape III]
Dire Tiger
Large Animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 19 (19), touch 17, flat-footed 16
Speed 40 /70) ft.
Melee:Bite +16 (+24) ; 2d6+9 (3d6+15) (+Grab); 2 Claws: +16 (+24); 2d4+9 (2d6+15) dmg (+Grab)
Special: Pounce, Rake
[/sblock]

Wand of CLW Uses: 40/40
Wand of Magic Fang: 44/50
Wand of Speak with Animals: 46/50
Wand of Mage Armor: 46/50
Rod of Lesser Extend: 3/3
Flasks: Holy Water 2/2
Sling Bullets: 19/20

Taniwha
Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (25)
HP: 83 Current: 82
CMB: Trip/Disarm +11 CMD: 29 (33 vs Trip) Fort: +8 Reflex: +12 (+13) Will: +6 (+10 vs enchant)

Conditions:
Status: Bless (10 mins); Inspire Courage (+2 atk/dmg); Haste (9r); aura of protection (Ethane) +1 deflection

Bite (silvered;magic): +13 (+17); 1d6+5 (+7) dmg; special: Trip
2x Claws (silvered;magic): +13 (+17) ; 1d3+5 (+7) dmg
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Barlo Hawkins, Human Bard

Elnefrai_zps89549ca6.jpg

Barlo stepped underneath the floating, trying to do a fancy roll around the corner to avoid the flying giant’s sword. But he was too busy drawing his whip from his belt at the time and left himself open.

Back out on the street, he renewed his inspiring war chant with another verse for his companions’ ears.

“Something tells me these two are not taking us seriously. That is about to change!” The bard was still in the thick of things and armed with a truly intimidating weapon.

[sblock=Actions]Moved using Acrobatics: Updated Map Drawing whip at the time
Acrobatics to avoid AoO(17) - Failed
Renewed Inspire Courage (2r more of lingering)
[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Character Sheet
Initiative: +4 Perception: +12
AC: 22 (20 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +9 CMD: 22(20ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +10 Will: +8
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Current Weapon in Hand: Shortbow

Bardic Performances (lingering 2 rnds): 22/25 Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: [Message, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound]
1st Level 6/7 (DC16) [CLW, Feather Fall, Hideous Laughter, Timely Inspiration, Grease, Vanish, Charm Person, Silent Image]
2nd Level 5/5 (DC17) [Sound Burst, Heroism, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Silence]
3rd Level 3/4 (DC18) [Haste, Slow, Phantom Steed, Confusion][/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=Barlo Hawkins]it would appear to Barlo that Vincenzo is trying to get into a flanking position with the bard, just so you know[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
[sblock=Balro]I need to know which square you ended up in so I can process the enemy action. As a bit of a spoiler, looks like your friends killed the small ogremage before you went, so he doesn't take advantage of your missed acrobatics check.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Aura, I had updated Ditzie. But with the small Ogremage down, I would not tuck in behind Vicenzo and go closer to Ethane instead.
New Link: http://beta.ditzie.com/86158/56b34c3e41a6c

it would appear to Barlo that Vincenzo is trying to get into a flanking position with the bard, just so you know
How’s that?

In any case, Barlo is not a front line fighter and Vicenzo should be looking to flank with Maui and/or Tanihwa, and potentially Ethane. Barlo could help flank for others with his whip, but he is pretty much a buffer/debuffer and ranged attacks instead.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=PerrinMiller]I was planning to draw the ogre mage away from Barlo by being a "greater pain" then Barlo. But he is down . . . . best laid plans and all . . . . so moving on . .. . . [/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Somehow I missed the map update, perrinmiller. Sorry about that. And sure, we can take the new move instead of the old one if you prefer. I'll update tonight.[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
Ogremage battle round 5

Barlo begins his roll-out maneuver to get himself out of the narrow alleyway. Drawing his whip, his giant foe seizes upon the opportunity to cut him down. However, as the monster hefts his giant blade, Vincenzo connects with arrows and Taniwha delivers a vicious bite, and the stricken corpse hits the dull grey ground, kicking up on dust.

Seeing his comrade in arms fall, the larger of the two screams angrily at the lot of you. With Maui all over him, he switches to a one hand grip on his blade and casts a spell, taking care not to leave himself open while doing so. The effect is immediate--the giant disappears from where he is floating. Nothing but a quick flowing air current appears to be left.

[section]
"Oh what magic now!" Ethane exclaims, his spear poking through where his enemy once was. Frustrated, the Ruvalran looks upward, scanning for any possible sign of impending attack.​
[/section]

[sblock=Combat Stuff]Ogremage B defensively casts a spell. Spellcraft DC 17 to identify what it was. No further information available on his action. [sblock=DC 17 Spellcraft]Invisibility, level 2.[/sblock]

[sblock=Maui]Your actions have been complex, and I had to check a couple things:
(1) As you suspected, you cannot trip flying foes. It's actually at the end of the section on Trip in Core.
(2) Not so obviously, you don't get your free action abilities (grab, trip) on attacks of opportunity, I'm afraid. Free actions are only available during your turn. To use those abilities on AoO's, they would have to be Immediate actions to use.

And while taking a fall as large size or more, the net distance dropped is still the primary determinant on damage. You can use your size to your advantage with a move action as I previously described, but if you just run off the side, you'll need an acrobatics check to offset the damage (or end up taking it).

I'm sorry, most of that is rather a bummer. Despite your frustrating rolls, you did great. The whole team did. :)[/sblock]

Combat Actors
Smaller Giant: dead
Larger Giant: 51 damage (AC 25, touch 14, CMD 33, SR 21) flying?
Rat: dead
Barlo: 0 damage (AC 22, touch 13x, CMD 22) IC +2 attack/damage, bless +1 attack, Haste
Vincenzo: 0 damage (AC 26, touch 15, CMD 26+) IC +2 attack/damage, bless +1 attack, Haste
Ethane: 0 damage (AC 22, touch 13, CMD 20) IC +2 attack/damage, bless +1 attack, Haste
Maui: 37 damage (AC 23, touch 21, CMD 32) IC +2 attack/damage, bless +1 attack, resinous skin DR 5/piercing, Animal Growth, Shield, Haste
Taniwha: 1 damage (AC 25, touch 18, CMD 29+) IC +2 attack/damage, bless +1 attack, Haste

map: http://beta.ditzie.com/86158/56b499f09daf5

You're all up. (Your round 5)[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
Vincenzo keeps alert while retrieving arrows.
[sblock=8 arrows shot]
1-50% = broken arrow
Arrow breakage: 1D100 = [41] = 41, 1D100 = [91] = 91, 1D100 = [29] = 29, 1D100 = [73] = 73
Arrow breakage: 1D100 = [59] = 59, 1D100 = [51] = 51, 1D100 = [22] = 22, 1D100 = [10] = 10

truly, half of the arrows did break[/sblock[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]Scott, you should probably hold off on your turn mate. Barlo can probably do something about the disappearing giant. And both Maui and Taniwha have scent. He hasn't escaped yet. Your bow may be needed yet!

@Aura No worries. So no grabbing or tripping on an OAtk. Got it. Doesn't make any sense, but the rules are the rules.

Re: movement. I'm not quite sure if it changes anything from last round. I suspect not. Maui only moved 15ft out of a possible 70. So if he climbs down the building 10ft high, rather than stepping off, it just costs him another 10 ft of movement, right? So 25 ft moved to get to the same position. Have I understood correctly?

Unfortunately I don't think it's going to get any less complex this round as Maui has scent ability and so does Taniwha. Being right next to Maui when he disappears, assuming the ogremage has turned invisible, can he follow the direction of the scent as he moves away? Tell which direction he went? He already caught their scent when he ran around the corner, so he knows the scent. So does Taniwha. It would seem to make sense that he would be able to, but the rules might say something different. [/sblock]

Remove ads