General Discussion

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Well, being in two different sights and no regular access to internet for 3 days of the week, I would vote for keeping it here. i hear places like the piatzza is even worse for i fones and tablets.

I do not know where you recommend we move to, Parrinmiller, but any place we do is susceptible to this kind of problem. It was a software issue that could have happened to anyone's server. It was like an infection that wormed its way through the memory of subsequent back-ups.

Aura

Explorer
So all my games are labeled 'Star Trek' and when I try to change it back, it won't save. Anyone know how to deal with this?

Jago

Explorer
So all my games are labeled 'Star Trek' and when I try to change it back, it won't save. Anyone know how to deal with this?

I believe the correct answer is to put all power to the Engines and start explaining that you cannot GM anymore because you're a licensed, trained, medical professional.

Honestly I have no clue, it looks like almost every LPF game is showing up like that. Must be some sort of coding error, maybe?

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Well, being in two different sights and no regular access to internet for 3 days of the week, I would vote for keeping it here. i hear places like the piatzza is even worse for i fones and tablets.

I do not know where you recommend we move to, Parrinmiller, but any place we do is susceptible to this kind of problem. It was a software issue that could have happened to anyone's server. It was like an infection that wormed its way through the memory of subsequent back-ups.
Over the last 5 years, I have never seen such lengthy down times at either of the sites I play at compared to here. Days of downtime for a website is a killer. Losing months of posts is unheard of.

Plus the forum software and post editors are not the best either.

sunshadow21

Explorer
For all of its issues, Enworld is probably as good as any other site overall. Being a general forum helps in getting and retaining the attention of those who might not otherwise even think about playing in a pbp environment, and losses from things like this data loss aren't that much larger than losses through our normal cycle of gaining and losing people.

Another site would have to have really significantly better software tools and community to justify a move. We are established here to the point that starting over somewhere else would need to come with major long term benefits to make the time and inevitable short term player loss worth it.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Benefits like better post editor, more stability, their own online pathfinder sheets to auto calculate, 10 times more players, their own forum community that is at least as large as EnWorld, built in dice roller that works well and is easier to use, easier to find your threads since they can be moved around by GMs into sub-forums.

You mean those sort of reasons, SS21?

we would not have even move threads, just link them from the wiki and the new forums.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Sorry, as a customer I am pretty unsatisfied with my EnW service. Frequent down times and delays in notifications happen so often here compared to other sites, I would have canceled my service plan years ago if this costed money.

sunshadow21

Explorer
I get your frustration, but this comes up every time Enworld has a major issue, and every time the overall decision has been the same, and for largely the same reasons. Unless there has been some major new development somewhere else since the last time we had this conversation, I just don't see the outcome of this conversation being any different. The threshold of the perfect mix of available tools, community (not just size, but also activity level, friendliness, and other intangibles), and accessibility (espically mobile accesibility) across even just official judges and active DMs is going to be extremely high. I will not say that Enworld is making me super happy right now, but getting even a simple majority of people to agree on which board to move our community to is going to be near impossible without losing a lot of people.

Short of a specific proposal to move the LPF community to a specific different site, along with a discussion about what would need to be done to make that specific proposal happen, I don't see the conversation going very far. It's basically the same situation as the Great Chasm discussion; without specifics, it's simply too wide of a topic, and with specifics, there's enough room for argument to stop progress on it dead in it's tracks.

Remove ads