D&D 4E “Dusk” by Matt Colville

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
As far as I'm aware in the Dusk group that consists of Matt, Dael, OD, Justice, Tom and Anna, Only Matt and Dael consistently stream the sessions, while OD sometimes streams them. If any of the others do I'm not aware of it.
I saw a couple of them live and I think only one person was not streaming. (only 1 face not seen), not sure how consistent or otherwise it might be though.

Listening to Part 9 now, and it is very interesting. Matt is quite good at his craft. I wonder how much is planned versus how much is improvisation on his part, based on what the players do.

The players are really good, too; there is some humor, but it isn’t Acqusitions, Inc. style slapstick goofiness.

There is a question whether time is moving at a different pace or whether what they are experiencing is an illusion. They are in a magical wood.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Listening to Part 9 now, and it is very interesting. Matt is quite good at his craft. I wonder how much is planned versus how much is improvisation on his part, based on what the players do.

The players are really good, too; there is some humor, but it isn’t Acqusitions, Inc. style slapstick goofiness.

There is a question whether time is moving at a different pace
Players seem to take the game fairly serious while simultaneously out to have fun... yup

They have been given broad authorial rights about the nature of their characters races culture etc it reminds me of how I like to DM a lot. I think it helps players have investment in everything.

Players seem to take the game fairly serious while simultaneously out to have fun... yup

They have been given broad authorial rights about the nature of their characters races culture etc it reminds me of how I like to DM a lot. I think it helps players have investment in everything.
The players are very engaged with the stories, as their characters. They make interesting decisions based on what their characters would think and do. The contempt for their human wards is very believable. For/ex: When the NPC starts speaking in elvish (having not previously done so), and the elf immediately attacks her and throws her to the ground, it makes sense that the character would do that. The mystification over how human government works, and over the humans’ attachment to “things” is believable.

Session 11: bloodskull hobgoblins are introduced. These hobgoblins are cultists who sport a “reverse Mohawk” hairstyle; instead of a line of hair in the middle of a bald pate, these have a strip of shaven scalp—only, they kept shaving through the skin until their skull was exposed, which was then coated in a tree resin that warded off infection but did not allow the scalp to regrow over the skull.

Weiley31

Legend
For a minute there, upon reading the title, I thought this was somehow Matt Coleville's 4E take on the first-person shooter video game DUSK.

raises hand is someone supposed to have?
You never watched Winnie the Pooh?

The books are hilarious....YMMV, I guess. If you like the type of humor of an adult talking seriously with a young child, but throwing in silly jokes that the child cannot really grasp or understand, then you would like the A. A. Milne books.

Remove ads