(10/07) A Dark and Restless Tide - (A D20 Dark*Matter Story Hour)

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Heap, I knew there was a reason I liked you. SS2 is still the scariest game I have played on the computer. Nothing like playing that game in the dark with the headphones on. That damn metalic mothering voice cooing over her eggs *shudders* that is creepy stuff.

I will download your FX conversion and give it the once over. I will let you know what I think. Thanks for sharing.

ledded

Herder of monkies
Hey Heap, just checked out your SFXDiabolism. Great stuff, man, I like it a lot. I'm going to give it a much deeper read later, as my interest is piqued, and that's saying something, cuz it aint been truly piqued by something out there in a while.

I've really loved having a skills/feats based FX system since OldDrewId made one for our d20 Modern Medallions game, and don't think our group will ever go back to the old D&D d20 Style of slots and levels and whatnot.

Good stuff there, now get to updating man, I like this story. Tell you what, if you update your SH, then I will update mine too (not that very many folks read it or anything)... :)

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Thanks. It still needs a dozen edits and expansion in a bunch of places, but I wanted to let people see it and tell me what they thought.

I've been writing the next adventure up. For practice I try to write these as if they were published modules. Which helps. Static In The Key Of E was WAY too big a plot arc for one adventure, and the group became a little disoriented a few times, so I've learned my lesson. I should have known it was when I ran into so many problems writing it out.

I figure it's been over a month since my last update. Way too long. Been meaning to write one for weeks.

--fje

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Mall Rats

"Well, I think I might have a lead on our informant kid." Georgi said. Tim and Kyong had arrived at the mall a few minutes before. She pointed off, into the mall. "Maybe a kid named Kyle. Apparently he's a big gamer. Very regular at the arcade, dominates at a few games. Drops up to fifty bucks at the pop, more than most kids around here have for spending. Nobody has seen him in a few days ... but he also spends a lot of time at the Electronics Boutique. We might want to check there."

Sam nodded and everybody set off for the other end of the mall. It was a short walk in terms of distance, but dodging children-laden shoppers made it seem interminable. As they closed on the Electronics Boutique, Sam slowed and spoke over his shoulder.

"Tim, Kyong, stay outside of the store. If he's inside and makes a break for it, we need somebody outside to stop him before he mixes in with the crowd. If there's a problem, hopefully you'll spot it before it gets to us, as well. We’ll try the hard play here, see what it gets us."

They picked up the pace, splitting off into two groups as they neared the store. Sam and Georgi entered, looking around inconspicuously and approached the front desk. Sam took the front and pulled his Hoffman Institute ID badge out of a back pocket. He flipped it open quickly as the clerk turned toward them.

“Special Agent Samuel Jameson. This is Georgie Gilmore, department consultant on Computer Crimes … we’d like to ask you a few questions …”

Sam and Kyong sat on a bench a little apart from the Electronics Boutique’s entrance, watching shoppers move to and fro, watching all of the kids approximately the right age. Sam and Georgie had been inside for several minutes already and one shopper in particular was paying more and more attention to them at the front of the store. He’d entered the store, looked around for a while, and was now slinking toward the door, trying to look inconspicuous.

“Bingo.” Tim said and stood up. He walked toward the store.

“Man, I never thought Kyle would get into that kind of thing, y’know? I mean, dude, I went to high school with his older brother and stuff. I never hung out with Kyle much or anything, but he seemed like a really good kid. I know where they live and …” The clerk had been spilling his guts for the last three minutes, and was finally getting around to telling Sam and Georgie where to find Kyle. Kyle Wheeler.

“Hey, that’s him now.”

Sam and Georgie whirled. At the edge of the store a short, slightly overweight teenager was turning to run out the door. From the panicked look on his face, it seems he’d heard a little bit of the “official story” Sam had been spinning for the store clerk. He almost tripped over his own feet, but he was bolting before Sam could move. Georgie took off with a yell, but barely avoided grounding herself by tripping over a wiry game display unit. For a moment they thought they were going to lose him, but Kyong and Tim appeared in the doorway, their Hoffmann badge wallets in hand. Tim put a restraining hand on Kyle’s shoulder, firmly, almost knocking the kid backward.

”Kyle?” He asked, authoritatively.

“Y-yes?” Kyle looked up, eyes wide.

“Tim Rosen, Kyle … Special Agent, R.I.A.A.. We know what you’ve been downloading, Kyle. … All of it. Lars asked us to keep an eye on you.” Tim said, flipping his wallet closed.

All the blood left Kyle's face, making all of the blemishes of his complexion stand out in screaming crimson. “Oh God. God, man. I never … I mean … dude, I don’t even LIKE Metallica I just … y’know …” Kyle gibbered.

The agents grabbed him by both shoulders and ushered him out of the store as a group. Kyle seemed like he was going to faint, stumbling a little. The clerk watched them as they went, his eyes like saucers.

”Dude, the RIAA does not play.” He looked very very worried.

Kyle eyed the unmarked van suspiciously as he was led toward it. Tim and Sam said nothing, keeping a firm hand on each of his shoulders as they closed in. The van’s sliding side door opened up and Olie looked out, smiling with one hand on the door frame. In the other he was holding a VERY large-looking shotgun.

“This the kid?” he asked.

Kyle lunged backward in terror, almost breaking free of Tim and Sam in his sudden panic.

“Dudes, don’t kill me! Man, it was just some MP3s! You’re crazy!” He yelled, struggling frantically.

“Shhh. Jeez.” Sam said, trying to stifle the kid. “Put that thing AWAY, Olie.” He hissed.

“Uh, sorry. Was just checkin’ the tools and everything.” Olie said. He scrambled to the back of the van and stored the weapon in one of the disguised gun lockers in the back.

“Listen, Kyle. We’re not really the RIAA.” Georgie said, elbowing Sam and Tim out of the way. “We’re with the Hoffmann Institute. Like you. We’ve been trying to get in contact with you for days.”

“You guys are Hoffmann? Holy crap, dudes, you had me wiggin’.” Kyle said. He had a hurt look on his face and pulled his shirt back into position. “I haven’t been able to contact you because my damn computer is broken. EVERYTHING is broken.”

“How so?” Georgie asked.

“Couple nights ago I was downloading, uh … MP3s and stuff." He flushed guiltily. " ... And I was playing with my Xbox … trying to hack it through the computer to play with my friends VLAN. All of a sudden the light in my room pops, my computer too, and the Xbox and TV die. I was freakin’ out. I thought there was a power outage or something, y’know, and I walk outside and the neighbor’s house down the way is on fire and the lights are totally out wherever I can see. Next morning, though, my Dad’s car doesn’t start and none of my stuff turns on. TOTALLY fried. I’m talking DEAD. And my folks TOTALLY won’t buy me a new one. They think I screwed everything up, with all of my ‘playing with things’.” He sighed. “I’m going nuts. I haven’t logged on in DAYS, I’m sure people think I’m dead or grounded or something. I can’t even play games. And I don’t really get much of an allowance or anything, so it’s going to be MONTHS before I can scrape together enough for ANYTHING, y’know, even just something to get on the net with. At this point I’d use a Mac, if somebody gave it to me.”

Sam keyed in on something.

“Your neighbor’s house was on fire? Where do you live, exactly?” He asked. Kyle told him and Sam nodded. “What’s your neighbor’s name?” He continued.

“Mr. Bauer, I think. I saw some guys moving around in the woods out behind our houses a few nights ago, as well.” Kyle added. “I’d have reported it to the Institute, but, y’know .. no computer.”

Tim rubbed his chin and leaned on the van. “Figure that one needs to be checked out. How’d we miss it?”

“Didn’t bother driving by Bauer’s.” Sam said. He frowned. “The cops are going to be all over this. Bauer’s dead, car blown up, house burned down. We’re not really set up to infiltrate police departments or anything. If we don’t have a friendly on the inside, it’ll take weeks to get any contacts …” He noticed Kyle listening excitedly and shut up.

Georgi motioned Sam over with her head and walked a few feet away.

“Think we can get the kid a computer?” She asked.

“Feeling for him, eh?” Sam asked.

Georgie smiled and shrugged. “I know how it is, y’know? He’s totally no use to us ANYWAY, but he did lose his computer to nanite, um … EMP pulse damage or something like that. While that isn’t our fault, it is sort of … Hoffmannesque.”

Sam nodded and shrugged, pulling out his cell phone. “I’ll see what we can do…”

"It was nice of you to get the kid a computer." Georgie said. They were driving slowly up Bauer's street, trying to look like they weren't too interested in his house. They were still a few houses down.

"Well, the Institute had better reimburse me promptly. I didn't realize those things were so expensive retail." Tim said. He was the only one with a credit card that was willing to put the almost two thousand dollars on it for the system Kyle had asked for. "Kid'll be a good con when he's older. I KNOW he doesn't need all of that stuff for homework."

They grew quiet as they drove past the obvious remains of Dr. Bauer's house. The fire hadn't been too large, apparently. The house was mainly intact, but several windows were blown out and the brick around them was blackened with soot. The whole place had the look of abandonment, the yard unmown for several days. Most obvious, however ...

"No police tape." Kyong pointed out.

"Yea. Very weird." Sam said, but kept driving without changing speeds. "We're going to have to come back later tonight. See what we can find."

And they did. Nightfall came and with it the Agents parked in Kyle's driveway and got out. Pre-arranged, Tim and Olie took nightvision goggles and firearms from the back of the van and moved into the woods. Georgie and Sam got out of the van and walked up the street, looking like any two people out on a walk. Sam had suggested they should look like a COUPLE out on a walk, but Georgie dissuaded him of that idea rather early on with an elbow jab in the ribs. Kyong stayed behind to monitor their radios and be able to pick everyone up if something went wrong ... or call headquarters if something went very wrong.

Olie crept forward through the scrubby pine forest, one foot placed carefully after the other, avoiding every branch, every fallen limb. Each dry leaf was a game piece to be avoided, every brushy patch a challenge to be overcome. He was a fish passing through the water. No ripple, no sound. He was the breeze in the trees, the snow falling on winter grass. His shotgun was an extension of his body, each inch of its length as known to him as his own fingers and toes. Nightvision gave him the advantage of the hunting cat, no light to betray him, no sound. His prey would neither see nor hear him as he ghosted through ...

*crack*
*rustle*

"%&!" Tim hissed, pulling a sleeve free of a thorned vine. Olie sighed to himself and continued on with Tim floundering behind him.

Sam and Georgie could make much better time up the street, so they passed the house and turned around on the street when Olie signaled with two clicks of the open channel that they were nearing the rear of the house.

Olie and Tim had lowered themselves to the ground and were creeping through the detritus of old pine needles toward Bauer's home. Something had moved by the house, piquing Olie's caution. As they moved forward, he could see two figures crouched by the back door of the house, scanning the treeline. They seemed to be wearing night-vision goggles as well. He stopped Tim with a soft touch and finished moving forward on his own, quiet, cat-like. The two men were wearing some sort of dark BDUs, probably black, but it was hard to distinguish in the green world of enhanced light. Each had a web vest and an MP5SD ... silenced submachineguns. Paramilitaries or government agents of some sort. Olie decided a moment later when one turned and he caught sight of an insignia on his vest.

"ATF?" Tim whispered, confused. Olie hadn't heard him sneaking up, which was good. Speaking, however, was bad.

"No. A.F.T. ... shhh." Olie subvocalized. He moved slightly ... slightly too much. He heard a branch snap under his knee. One of the men at the house looked up and scanned the treeline again ... then nudged his partner and began creeping forward.

Olie clicked his radio three times rapidly, then three times more slowly ... and three times again.

"*($@" Sam grumbled. Something was up with Olie and Tim. S.O.S. was going to be their signal for something bad, involving people. "Maybe they've been made. I don't hear shooting, so lets give them a distraction."

Georgie stooped down and grabbed a rock, hefted it in one hand. "Kids are such a pain around here. You hide, you don't much look like a teenager." She said, then walked up obviously to the front of Bauer's house. She looked around, like she was worried about being seen, then threw the rock through one of the unbroken windows of Bauer's house. With the crash of broken glass she was off, running like a scared kid, across the front of the house and away from Sam.

Olie and Tim lay still, breath held. The two AFT agents were creeping closer and closer to their position and eventually the low scrub and thin pines weren't going to be enough to hide them. Suddenly glass crashed from the house and the AFT men whirled, startled. They jogged toward the house, low and quiet, and went in. Olie could see several more individuals moving past one of the windows as he and Tim very carefully backed away from the house and further into the woods. It was a very slow crawl getting back to the van.

"What did you see?" Georgie asked, when they met at the side door.

"Couple guys, fatigues and suppressed MP5s. Insignia said AFT." Olie said. "Dunno what that means. Maybe his mom made his outfit and mixed up ATF, but I don't think so."

"Where's Sam?" Tim asked.

"Uh. Other side of Bauer's house. He feels a little pinned down, doesn't want to get made walking past the house again after all the noise I made." Georgie said.

"What a baby." Olie sighed and stowed his shotgun. "We'll pick him up. Not like they'll make the van any less and it'll take a half hour to circle around to the other end of this half-rural road."

"What I want to know." Tim said. "Is what AFT stands for..."

Last edited:

ledded

Herder of monkies
HeapThaumaturgist said:
<snip>

”Dude, the RIAA does not play.” He looked very very worried.

<snip>

"At this point I’d use a Mac, if somebody gave it to me.”

<snip>
Oh man, you gave me a good guffaw or two with those. Thank goodness I wasnt drinking anything when I read that.

Great update man, I love your stuff. I guess I better go off and work on an update for my SH, since I shot off my mouth a couple posts ago... (heck I was just kidding man, I didnt expect you to post so soon) ;)

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Hey, gotta watch what you say around me. I'm just loco enough to go and do it.

We WERE going to go out last night and see Spider-Man 2. Wife and I still haven't seen it. Then we decided to stay home, so I had free time on my hands and I decided some wrting would be good for me. I'd been having some problems scripting this particular part of the story hour ... too much scene-shifting, but that's how the game ran. With modern cell phones and radios the group tends to make best use of their investigative time by doing at least two things at once as small groups, so at the table I'm constantly scene-shifting.

--fje

Eyas

First Post
HeapThaumaturgist said:
Hey, gotta watch what you say around me. I'm just loco enough to go and do it.

Heh, yeah, make him stick to it as bugging him each week does not seem to be working.

HeapThaumaturgist said:
We WERE going to go out last night and see Spider-Man 2. Wife and I still haven't seen it. Then we decided to stay home, so I had free time on my hands and I decided some wrting would be good for me. I'd been having some problems scripting this particular part of the story hour ... too much scene-shifting, but that's how the game ran. With modern cell phones and radios the group tends to make best use of their investigative time by doing at least two things at once as small groups, so at the table I'm constantly scene-shifting.

--fje

Yeah, we do that to OldDrewId often as well. Then again, I think we did that even when we were playing D&D. Something about having multiple people who appear to suffer from attention deficite dissorders seems to do that.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
The Next Morning ...

"And that's all Ted said..." Georgie paged back and forth through the email, making sure she hadn't missed anything.

They had reported the day's hapenings and discoveries last night, asking for further information on the AFT and who may have attacked Tim and Kyong at the morgue. This morning Ted had replied to their report ... and it wasn't good.

"Damnit!" Sam yelled. He paced back and forth in the "boys" room at their hotel. The whole group was gathered in that room, on the chairs, on the beds. Everyone looked angry and confused.

"What the hell did we do WRONG? THEY sent US out here to look into this *%$#, and now they want to climb our @$% for, what, finding out too much?!" Sam was livid.

"All Ted said was that we were to back off anything and anybody involved with the letters AFT." Georgie said, scrolling through the EMail again.

"Who's the AFT, though?" Tim leaned back on one of the beds.

Georgie shrugged. "Apparently knowing that would get us too involved ... Ted said some thing was going down back at headquarters we weren't going to like. Maybe we're getting shut out."

"Okay, so who were the two guys with sunglasses that disentegrated Dr. Bauer?" Tim pressed.

"Um. Ted said that we were to back off and stay away from those guys, too." Georgie reminded everyone. She tapped her screen for emphasis.

"Stay away from the AFT, stay away from the Men In Black ..." Georgie continued.

"... but we're still supposed to find out what Bauer was working on." Sam finished for her. He let out a string of cursing. "It seems like the AFT and those two Whoever-Agents are right at the damned CORE of this case. How in God's name are we supposed to investigate ANYTHING if we're supposed to keep as far away from the major players as we can, that's what I want to know."

Tim shook his head. "We can still check out Nanotecknowledgies Inc., though. Our last real avenue. The guys in black ruined the body, we can't get near the house ... that's probably the most logical place, anyway. If something he was working on got him killed, it'll probably be in his lab. Or little shop of horrors. Or whatever people who get whacked by MiBs work in."

Tim got in the passenger-side seat of the van and rapped the dashboard. "Let's roll."

Just at that moment a large white van pulled up, directly across the nose of their own van. The side of the truck had a cartoon depiction of a bunch of roses and "Hoffmann Floral and Gift" in florid script underneath.

"The hell ...?" Sam said, stepping on the breaks.

The side panel door of the van slid open and two men in white coveralls stepped out, followed by two more. Another man, with sandy brown hair and a vest, peeked out from inside the van. He looked disconcerted, perhaps a little afraid.

Sam rolled down the window. "Um. Can we help you?"

One of the men tapped a knuckle on Tim's window. Tim, too, rolled his window down. "Yea?"

"Agent Rosen?" The man at Tim's window asked.

"Um." Tim glanced at the "Hoffmann Floral" on the van. He decided not to ask who was asking. "Yea?"

"You're supposed to come with us." The agent replied.

"Actually, Dr. Nakami ASKS you to come with us." The agent behind the first corrected. He coughed and shifted his weight.

The first agent focused somewhere beyond and above Tim's head and sighed. "Ahhh. Yea ... Dr. Nakami humbly requests your presence back at headquarters." He said, resignedly.

"Um. Why?" Tim asked.

"You're not cleared for that information." The first agent replied.

"Ah. Dr. Nakami says he'll explain all of it to you when you arrive." The second added.

Sam looked the agents by his window over. His eyes narrowed. Both had rather noticable bulges under their coveralls, which were only zippered half-way up the torso. One of those bulges was very suspiciously large ... perhaps a small SMG.

"I take it Dr. Nakami is asking very nicely." Sam said.

"He is." The first agent replied. He looked past Tim at Sam.

"I imagine this is what Ted meant when he said something we weren't going to like went down at the head office." Georgi said from the back seat.

"We have another agent to fill in for Rosen while he's humoring Dr. Nakami." The first agent said. He stepped back from Tim's door and motioned him to open it. The stranger in the vest stepped out of the other van and walked forward. Tim got out and followed the white-coveralled agents, looking back once to shrug his confusion. As the other operatives and Tim piled into the floral van, everyone else got out of their own van. They stared at the new guy as Tim was driven out of the parking lot.

"So who the #$*# are you?" Sam demanded. His anger had been boiling before, it had now went to steam. "And what the @4#&* did they take Tim?"

"I'm, er, Nathan Harper. As for Agent Rosen, I don't really know. All I know is Ted called me up and told me I'd be replacing an agent already in the field ... he said I was probably the man for the job."

"And why's that?" Georgie demanded.

"Well. He asked me to tell you about how the Institute approached me ..." Nathan said.

Sam rolled his eyes. "Yea yea, something weird happened to you. You were attacked by sentient Cheez Whiz in college, right? We've heard it all because it's HAPPENED to us all."

Nathan shrugged. "He said you'd understand a little better once you heard. He said this was the best he could do about getting you the information you NEED to know, even though you're not cleared for it."

Kyong stepped up. "Tell us what attracted the Institute to you, Nathan."

He nodded. "Well, you see, in my old life I was an, ah, investigative journalist." He smiled a little. "A little heavy on the investigative, really. I worked in Houston ... there had been rumors about a local politician ... taking bribes, working with organized crime. Y'know, the usual."

Sam motioned everyone back into the hotel room.

"Anyway ..." Nathan continued, inside. "I decided I was going to bring him down. Single-handedly, y'know. 'Blow this town wide open' and all of that macho bullsh*t. I figured out his schedule, started to figure out where he met people for some of his more illicit doings, got his patterns. I started to ghost some of his usual haunts, finding myself places to hide, angles to film. One, in particular, was perfect ... a parking garage. One of those towers. At night he'd meet people near the top. Too open to set up surveilance, y'know, but not on top of the thing where people could look down from the buildings around. Anyway, I parked my car there every night for a damn month. Let him get used to it. Finally I knew he was going to have a meet, so I parked my car in the usual place and hid inside.

Sure enough, he showed up. Ten minutes later, two guys came in on foot. I had a mic set up to catch sound and my camera set up. I started recording ... and then all hell broke loose. One of the guys pulled a gun, fired. 'Cept it wasn't a gun. It was like a dart pistol or something. The politician, he goes down like a pole-axed cow."

Kyong raised her eyebrows at this point, and motioned Nathan to continue.

"At first I thought it was a silenced pistol, y'know? That they'd killed the poor bastard. But I couldn't see any blood. Then one of them walked over and pulled a little thing out of his pocket ... it was like a breath-spray or something. He spritzed it a few times in the guy's face and, well, two more people showed up. One of them looked like a homeless guy, and the other was dressed like a janitor." He laughed. "I thought I'd gone crazy. Both of the new people had guns too. It was almost comical ... until they opened fire. Not a word. They walked around a car, spotted the two guys with the air-freshener, and just opened up. Each of them took at least two rounds before they even had a chance to turn."

Nathan shrugged.

"But they did anyway. They opened fire themselves. The janitor went down, blood sprayed everywhere. The air-freshener guys weren't using their first toy then, they had pulled pistols. Before he passed out, the janitor got in one more shot. Took the guy that killed him right in the face. I saw it. Blood and bone blew out the back of his head and he fell backward. The homeless guy nailed his three more times, took one in the shoulder for his trouble. The guys with the air-fresheners had probably sucked up half a clip apiece, six or seven shots each. I figured they had vests on, but I zoomed in and there was blood all over the fronts of their shirts. The homeless guy walked forward, like he needed to be sure of them before he bothered to check his buddy. He leans over the guy he shot, gun out ... and the guy lifts his arm. Swear to God. Six or seven rounds in him and he lifts his arm right up like the damned Terminator. Fast, too. The homeless guy was quick, pulled the trigger point blank in the guy's face."

Sam and Georgie's eyebrows were up by now as well.

"Then ... they disappeared. The two dead guys. They dissintegrated, like bad-guys in a video game. Turned to black dust and started to blow away on the breeze coming through the garage." Nathan made a little poofing hand gesture. "And then, just to finish making me crap my pants, the homeless guy walks over to our politician friend ... and puts two in his head. Simple as pie, cold as the damned grave."

Sam blinked a few times and looked around.

"Well THAT explains a couple things. Sort of." He said.

"Yea. We know they can be killed." Ollie said. It was the first thing he'd said all morning.

((Some game notes. Tim and Nathan are the same player. He asked if he could change out his character. He was hoping that he could pressure Ollie's player into changing PCs too, as Ollie has no applicable investigative skills and is entirely combat-oriented ... and so tries to create combat where there is none, because he's bored. Needless to say, it didn't work. There was a very good reason to pull Tim, though, so I wrote it into the story flawlessly and replaced some clues they'd missed with Nathan's backstory, which the player got to tell in-character at the table. Very nice.))

ledded

Herder of monkies
HeapThaumaturgist said:
((Some game notes. Tim and Nathan are the same player. He asked if he could change out his character. He was hoping that he could pressure Ollie's player into changing PCs too, as Ollie has no applicable investigative skills and is entirely combat-oriented ... and so tries to create combat where there is none, because he's bored. Needless to say, it didn't work. There was a very good reason to pull Tim, though, so I wrote it into the story flawlessly and replaced some clues they'd missed with Nathan's backstory, which the player got to tell in-character at the table. Very nice.))
Nice transition Heap. I like it, you fit it in quite well. I love this SH.

Remove ads