• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

10:1 illegal downloads

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
A datapoint, just in.

In Sweden, a controversial law just kicked in, called IPRED. I can't really summarise it, cause I don't know the ins and outs, but it's basically a way to let IP-owners gather evidence on their own, without having to go to the police.

Controversial. I hate it.

Reports from one side of the debate says rentals and sales of movies and music (hard copy and digital) has gone up by 30% since the law kicked in. The other side hasn't really reported anything yet, as far as I know.

It's gonna be interesting to see if there is a correlation, and if it keeps up.

And also how the two sides spin it in our media here in Sweden. Well, I already know how one side is spinning it, so I'm eagerly waiting for the pro-torrent side to step in and give their view on the matter.

/M

catsclaw227

First Post
There's a "complete" stat on BitTorrent trackers. The one for a copy of the 4e PHB2 that I'm looking at right now reads "Target file downloads: 2340" which basically means 2340 people have completed the download of this torrent at some point or another. It also currently has 47 seeders and 0 leechers, but that number has no bearing on anything except perhaps whether or not it would be a wise idea to begin downloading the torrent yourself, since it's just a metric of how healthy the torrent is.
I see. Thanks for the info.

I wonder how many PHB2s were purchased as PDF from Paizo and OBS combined?

A datapoint, just in.

In Sweden, a controversial law just kicked in, called IPRED. I can't really summarise it, cause I don't know the ins and outs, but it's basically a way to let IP-owners gather evidence on their own, without having to go to the police.

Controversial. I hate it.

Reports from one side of the debate says rentals and sales of movies and music (hard copy and digital) has gone up by 30% since the law kicked in. The other side hasn't really reported anything yet, as far as I know.

It's gonna be interesting to see if there is a correlation, and if it keeps up.

And also how the two sides spin it in our media here in Sweden. Well, I already know how one side is spinning it, so I'm eagerly waiting for the pro-torrent side to step in and give their view on the matter.

You won't find many avowed and experienced criminals espousing the nature of their illicit deeds in any public forum. The Pro-Torrent side will quietly fade away, acting as if anonymous comments on message boards are considered a "counter-culture", when really all it is flies in the soup.

Maggan

The Pro-Torrent side will quietly fade away, acting as if anonymous comments on message boards are considered a "counter-culture", when really all it is flies in the soup.

In Sweden we have a bona fide political party called "The Pirate Party". They never shut up about these things. :D

/M

In Sweden we have a bona fide political party called "The Pirate Party". They never shut up about these things. :D

/M

I bow to your knowledge, sir. However, a quick fact-based web-search shows that we're talking about a group that only results in 0.63% of the vote in 2006 and hasn't gained a seat. If the resulting 2009 elections result in a single seat being gained, I would owe you a Coke out of apology for speaking out of turn. Until then, I don't doubt my previous conclusion.

Maggan

However, a quick fact-based web-search shows that we're talking about a group that only results in 0.63% of the vote in 2006 and hasn't gained a seat.

Apology acceped, Captain Intense Interest <wheeze wheeze>!

:D

Fortunately for the Pirate Party, they have other channels which to use to convey their message than mere parliament. Any online message board will do just fine. :cool:

/M

Fortunately for the Pirate Party, they have other channels which to use to convey their message than mere parliament. Any online message board will do just fine. :cool:

But then, to quote myself "The Pro-Torrent side will quietly fade away, acting as if anonymous comments on message boards are considered a "counter-culture", when really all it is flies in the soup."

Edgewood

First Post
WOTC is talking about the fact that they were downloaded illegally. Not how they are being used. I arrest a lot of people for theft in my line of work. Just because someone steals a book from a store (or from a person who already bought it), puts it on their shelf and never reads it until the day they die, doesn't mean it's not a crime. It's possession of property obtained by crime.
It's what we in law enforcement refer to as mens rea which in latin is "with a guilty mind". Don't tell me that nearly everyone who downloaded the copies were not aware that what they were doing was illegal. We all know that when we download something from a torrent without paying for it, we stole it.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads