12 new monster images revealed from Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes!

I am no good at posting pictures, so you have to go to https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/05/09/new-monsters-images-revealed-from-mordenkainens-tome-of-foes/. Pictures include: Giff Eidolon (assumed no caption) wintery Eladrin Eladrin design shot I have no idea, but ugly The scariest looking Abashai I have ever seen--looks like it deserves a high CR Abashai group shot I have no idea, but ugly...

I am no good at posting pictures, so you have to go to https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/05/09/new-monsters-images-revealed-from-mordenkainens-tome-of-foes/.

Pictures include:

Giff
Eidolon (assumed no caption)
wintery Eladrin
Eladrin design shot
I have no idea, but ugly
The scariest looking Abashai I have ever seen--looks like it deserves a high CR
Abashai group shot
I have no idea, but ugly
Marut--Not your Dad's Marut, but seriously after looking at this, why would you want your Dad's Marut?
Marut design
Something big and scary (maybe a death giant?)
Another Giff
female Drow (matriarch?)
The last is definitely the Drow Matron Mother, they showed that art during the one-on-one battles on Twitch.

E

Elderbrain

I'm actually not familiar with older DND, so what actually are the Hippo-Folk?

The Hippo-folk in question are the Giff (not to be confused with the Gith), a race of spacefaring hippo-people from the 2e Spelljammer campaign setting. They love battle and their favorite weapons are guns, typically a blunderbuss-type weapon. Opinions vary greatly as to Giff; some think they're way too goofy, others think they're cool.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Cool artwork, but I have a hard time taking any product seriously that has anthropomorphic space hippo naval officers.
Why?

The Hippo-folk in question are the Giff (not to be confused with the Gith), a race of spacefaring hippo-people from the 2e Spelljammer campaign setting. They love battle and their favorite weapons are guns, typically a blunderbuss-type weapon. Opinions vary greatly as to Giff; some think they're way too goofy, others think they're cool.

I just hope they are a playable race!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Why?

I just hope they are a playable race!
I like the Giff, but I could see that some might view them as...cartoonish. Different stroke for different folks.

I do wonder if we will get some humanoid PC stats, beyond those in the earlier chapters: Giff, Tortles and so in. It would be nice if we did.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I like the Giff, but I could see that some might view them as...cartoonish. Different stroke for different folks.

I do wonder if we will get some humanoid PC stats, beyond those in the earlier chapters: Giff, Tortles and so in. It would be nice if we did.

See, really specific anthromorphs I can see being reasonably called cartoonish, I guess. I don’t get why people get hung up on a type of thing being cartoonish, even when the specific art isn’t. The closest that art goes to cartoonish is the same distance as the classic Dragonlance art, IMO.

edit: Also, yeah a set of player race stats like Volos had would be great!

Shemeska

Adventurer
Those Abishai! Did Asmodeus impregnate Tiamat?

They were created via collaboration of Tiamat and Pearza of the Dark 8. Assuming that 5e keeps that bit of lore (which I wrote) within its continuity.

Curious why they spelled them abashai when they're abishai. Still, that typo aside, that artwork is just spectacular for the abishai. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads