D&D 1E 1e->3x->Pathfinder Bard Prestige Class

Wolf72

Explorer
I know this is probably a dinosaur from 3x days and probably hasn't been brought up to Pathfinder yet ...

but does anyone have a link or ideas about making the 1e Bard class to a PrC for 3x/PF? ... Maybe stick with many current bard abilities but have a lightened druidic spell list?

Starbuck_II

First Post
I know this is probably a dinosaur from 3x days and probably hasn't been brought up to Pathfinder yet ...

but does anyone have a link or ideas about making the 1e Bard class to a PrC for 3x/PF? ... Maybe stick with many current bard abilities but have a lightened druidic spell list?

What was special about 1E Bard?
Savage Bard variant in Unearth Arcana (also found in SRD) gains Druid spells.
Variant Character Classes :: d20srd.org
It says:
Remove the following spells from the savage bard's class spell list: calm emotions, comprehend languages, detect secret doors, erase, prestidigitation, read magic, sepia snake sigil, summon monster (I through VI).
Add the following spells to the savage bard's class spell list: 1st—calm animals, detect snares and pits, endure elements, summon nature's ally I; 2nd—bull's strength, pass without trace, summon nature's ally II; 3rd—snare, summon nature's ally III; 4th—insect plague, summon nature's ally IV; 5th—commune with nature, summon nature's ally V; 6th—creeping doom, reincarnate, summon nature's ally VI.

You could also just be a Druid with Prc Bard:
Prestigious Character Classes :: d20srd.org

Wolf72

Explorer
mostly nostalgia's sake ... and I like the druidic aspect more than the arcane aspect.

thanks for the links ... both require some changes and work if one wanted to make them and updated clone of the 1e model.

rgard

Adventurer

As you mention the druid spell list, I think you are referring to the Bard class at the back of the 1E Players Handbook. IIRC, OD&D had a Bard class that had similar entry requirements, but had an arcane spell list. I think it was in the Strategic Review.

The most direct way to replicate the 1E Bard would be:

1. a BAB of around +7 (this would take into account the original's requirement for fighter levels)
2. and add skill requirements in both perform and knowledge (local).
3. Evasion

By requiring 2 & 3 above you cover the original's levels as a thief by taking levels in rogue. The rogue levels also contribute to the BAB requirement.

Taking a piece from each of Starbuck II's good suggestions, I would then progress the PrC as the Prestige Bard with respect to saves, BAB and special abilities, but use the spell list and spell progression from the Savage Bard.

Edit: added the bit about progression above.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:

rgard

Adventurer
What was special about 1E Bard?

I second nostalgia. And beyond that, it was a cool character class as a Jack of all Trades. Also for the 15 levels (I think it was 15) you kept getting hit dice rolls when you leveled up while everybody of a similar level was limited to 1, 2 or 3 hit points per level. My 1E Bard had a ridiculous number of hit points. Couldn't hit most of the low AC (inverse of current AC) high level foes, but absorbed alot of damage.

TanisFrey

First Post
I second nostalgia. And beyond that, it was a cool character class as a Jack of all Trades. Also for the 15 levels (I think it was 15) you kept getting hit dice rolls when you leveled up while everybody of a similar level was limited to 1, 2 or 3 hit points per level. My 1E Bard had a ridiculous number of hit points. Couldn't hit most of the low AC (inverse of current AC) high level foes, but absorbed alot of damage.
That class was so...... broken in the 1ed system.

William Ronald

Explorer
That class was so...... broken in the 1ed system.

I heard a few people refer to it as beserker with a banjo. The problem was, I believe, the hit points. Apparently, most everyone ADDED the 10d6 bard hit points instead of the way dual classing was done with humans back then.

Thanael

Explorer
The Old Lore Bard has been done as a 3E prestige class for Greyhawk by Steven B Wilson. I didn't find it on the internet anymore though I think it was available on canonfire here. Alas the link in that article is now broken.

I have attached the pdf that I found on my HD:

Attachments

• BardicColleges.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 252

Wolf72

Explorer
interesting ... seems complicated though.

I was hoping for 10 lvl PrC with the spell progression still getting lvl 6 over those 10 lvls.

throw in rgards post and basically have it set. ... lore and what not seems appropriate too.

I'll have to find my copy of my 1e PHb (or see it it's online somewhere) and reread what was there.

Remove ads