D&D 1E 1e vs 5e Yawning Portal playthroughs

Moravave

Villager
Curious if anyone would ever try this...(I don't have the amount of players or the time!)

Like back to back playthroughs of the original adventures using the 1e ruleset and then the new Yawning Portal versions using 5e.

I'm asking because in the last few months I started thinking about trying to run 1e for the first time in...a very long time...and seeing if my players would want to try out some old modules. And then boom this drops...making it much harder to ask them to try the old rules....

darjr

I crit!
The first thing is that not all of them are 1e mods. But the idea is interesting. There are changes that are more than stats. Like the Tomb of Horrors doesn't include the advice about what to do if teleport spells and the like are cast.

Moravave

Villager
The first thing is that not all of them are 1e mods. But the idea is interesting. There are changes that are more than stats. Like the Tomb of Horrors doesn't include the advice about what to do if teleport spells and the like are cast.

Yeah I just mean the 1e mods included in there.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Like back to back playthroughs of the original adventures using the 1e ruleset and then the new Yawning Portal versions using 5e.
I've done that kind of thing before. ;)

I'm asking because in the last few months I started thinking about trying to run 1e for the first time in...a very long time...and seeing if my players would want to try out some old modules. And then boom this drops...making it much harder to ask them to try the old rules....
Or this could be the perfect segue to get them to try. If you run a YP module in 5e, and they love it, you could offer to run it again in 1e - or to run a different one that hasn't been converted yet, in 1e to 'save you the trouble of conversion.'

... Yeah, I'm going to at least see if anyone would be interested in a 1e | 5e exercise like that. No way I'm inflicting any version of ToH on anyone, but maybe Saltmarsh...

It's also tempting to do 3e | 5e with Citadel or Forge.

Ooh: run the original modules in publication order, in their native systems. Alternate that with running the same bit of the same module in 5e. 1 week timewarp, 1 week present-tense.

...or, not the same bits, but the last bit. Run the module for a session. Next session, swap systems and re-run the last encounter of the first session, then move on. Following session, swap systems, re-run the last encounter of the prior session, then move on. That way one system isn't always the re-do.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases