• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 1st time Pally! :O

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Unhelpfully I do like both options. But I think I should min max a bit less and let the Barb be the Barb. I'll still have good damage from smite and later advanced smite when I need it. Plus getting to knock bitches down and run them through.

Just need to figure out my path.

I recommend picking the path for the level 3,5,9 spells and the level 3 feature. Don't worry as much about the level 7 and higher feature because if you are starting at level 1 there's a decent chance you won't see it. Which spells and level 3 feature do you like better?

FrogReaver

Or if you still can't pick then pick the Oath based on flavor. Vengance is always the coolest to me in that regard.

Flavor wise I can really see both. Oath of the ancients is very "Warden" from 4e, it's channel divinity even sort of goes along with it.

And I always like casting spells so moon beam looks pretty fun.

Though the spells from Vengeance are themselves pretty sweet and the capstone is just kind of epic.

FrogReaver

Flavor wise I can really see both. Oath of the ancients is very "Warden" from 4e, it's channel divinity even sort of goes along with it.

And I always like casting spells so moon beam looks pretty fun.

Though the spells from Vengeance are themselves pretty sweet and the capstone is just kind of epic.

If you think you can get good use out of moonbeam maybe. Just remember moonbeam competes with the attack action of 2 attacks and a bonus action prone. Also you could use the spell slot used to cast it for a level 2 divine smite so +3d8 damage on one of the attacks. I think over the course of a fight you'll almost always find moonbeam to be worse than just attacking.

FrogReaver

Without having any preference on the flavor front I think vengeance works better mechanically. Bane can help set up your casters by lowering monsters saves. Hold Person makes a great control spell or a great spell to set up the barbarian and possibly the cleric too depending on build. Misty step is very nice too. Your channel divinities are very useful. The level 7 ability is meh.

With ancients I see 2 spells I like, ensnaring and misty step. Ensnaring can cause advantage in a different way than proning an enemy so it has some use there. Natures wrath is okay, just keep in mind you can't use it and attack that turn which limits its effectiveness somewhat. The aura is nice.

All in all I think I personally would lean towards vengeance oath.

Horwath

Legend
Half the posts on the old 4e Wizard boards started like that when i was there.

I remember one, "my highest score is 14. What class should I play"

Kamikaze class. :D

This is the problem with rolled stats. Either all players use THOSE GMO stats and DM can boost up encounter level and/or number of monsters per encounter.

Or all point buy with any number of predetermined points.

Having a PC with 20 in his primary stat, and 16 in his secondary and tertiary at 1st level while someone has 14 or maybe 16 in primary and 12 in secondary is downright stupid.

FrogReaver

Kamikaze class. :D

This is the problem with rolled stats. Either all players use THOSE GMO stats and DM can boost up encounter level and/or number of monsters per encounter.

Or all point buy with any number of predetermined points.

Having a PC with 20 in his primary stat, and 16 in his secondary and tertiary at 1st level while someone has 14 or maybe 16 in primary and 12 in secondary is downright stupid.

Wrong thread?

Coroc

Hero
For group balance I would go sword and board and eventuall protection/duelling whatever is more needed. That way you and your barbarian comrade will also not dispute over any heavy magic weapon found.

Yeah sword and board. I love me some pole arms, but with a barb in the mix....

Also in some fairness the DM had the players who rolled below standard array roll again. We are all above the standard array so he can pump encounters. But yeah I generally ave that issue.

Avenging makes sense with her back story, but not as much how I intend to play her. I want her to kind of be the anti-Pally. Instead of the baby sitter, she's going to be a bit more of a party animal. Sure her back story is sad, but she's not that sad about it.

Remove ads