• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 2/18/13 L&L column

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
This is exactly what I've been saying since more than 100 posts ago. My only quibble with you is that there is no reason to think there is even an ingame advantage - why does it matter to the PCs that they do things quickly rather than slowly?
Right, I agree with you, there doesn't need to be. It'd be a rare event at my game table to have five combats in an in-game day. Presumably, in KM's game, though, this matters, or he wouldn't bring it up. But I agree that there's no inherent value to squeezing an extra encounter in between rests unless there is some forced pacing mechanic making it matter (you get more XP the more encounters you do in a row... like, say, XP milestones, or something).
And if the PCs are wizards who can control when they rest, and hence can afford to deploy more spells per encounter without risking running out, they have both an ingame advantage and, if the GM doesn't change the challenge difficulty, an in-real-life-at-the-table advantage too!
Not that you have any experience with this in a non-D&D system! No sir! As always, play what you like :)

Is there any reason to think that it does make more difference than that? (NB. I'm talking here about out-of-combat healing. In-combat healing is a completely different matter, and significantly changes the play of combat. But people like @Bedrockgames are not calling for incombat healing as far as I can see - which is, in any event, not a big part of the pre-3E D&D exerience.

I am calling for clerics that follow the pattern established in the first 3E editions. I think that includes incombat healing. But yes, I am viewing it primarily from a 2E perspective which had about five basic healing spells, and pretty sure each were useable in combat. Cure light wounds, cure serious and cure critical were. The casting times were just a penalty to initiative in those cases. I think heal had a casting time of one round, so still useable in combat though you would need to wait. I am certainly less of a fan of WOW style healing. It shouldnt neccesarily be easy and ocnvenient to pull of during combat but I am fine with it being possible.

Obryn

Hero
Not that you have any experience with this in a non-D&D system! No sir! As always, play what you like :)
The thing is - I'm rather hoping that WotC can be a leader here instead of doing the same things wrong that most systems, historically, have done wrong.

As for the whole fights/day thing ... For me, I'm a lot more interested in constraints placed on my adventure pacing than on PCs intentionally angling for a five-minute work-day. The latter can happen, sure, but with my games I often don't have more than 1 fight in a day - or even week - since I run a travel-heavy game. I want the system to allow me to pace adventures however I see fit rather than constrained either by random encounter checks, numbers of encounters per day, or anything of that nature.

-O

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Right! In my view the salient measure is "XP per unit of real time", not "XP per unit of game time", at least until someone shows me why the passage of ingame time actually matters to anything.

This assumes that the real time required to earn those XP is constant (1 hour in your example). But that's not necessarily so. For instance, in 4e a party with 2 leaders, 2 defenders and a high-control low-damage wizard (say an illusionist type) may take forever to finish combats that a party with 1 defender, 1 lazy leader and 3 strikers (including a sorcerer for some crowd control) might breeze through in real time.

Why? Because the damage per hit is lower, the players have to roll more dice to win. And because the defences are higher, and the damage mitigation greater, the GM also has to roll more dice per unit of damage dealt.

If the cleric makes things quicker in game time (more encounters per day) but slower in real time (encounters take longer, because the group has traded damage for mitigation) then I'm not sure that's a power up. It may serve better in a scenario in which ingame time is critical (eg rescue the maiden before she's sacrificed) but that's a particular sort of adventure. Generically, in D&D, there is no time pressure - just a dungeon to explore.

If the party has an essentially unconstrained power to choose to rest and regain hit points, then hit points are not a limit (provided you don't run out of them in a given encounter, when presumably resting will not be feasible).

You're not telling me why this matters. Who cares how many XP they earn betwen recharges? More generally, who cares about the ingame rate of level progression?

In my 4e campaign the PCs have earned, on average, a little over a level per ingame week. In someone else's campaign that may have been a level per ingame month. Does that mean the PCs in my game are overpowered? I don't think so. The passage of ingame time is just part of the fiction, like the colour of the gnome's shoes.

The relevant metric is "successes per unit of real time", not "successes per unit of ingame time". At least until ingame time itself is made into some sort of resource or contraint, like in a time sensitive scenario. But D&Dnext has no generic rule that makes the passage of ingame time significant.

Why? Unless there goal runs away while they're resting, they rest, regain resources and come back in and get it.

You're not showing me why the passage of ingame time, as a general rule, matters in D&Dnext.

Well, if having greater endurance makes no more difference than the colour of the gnome's shoes, it shouldn't have to give up anything.

Is there any reason to think that it does make more difference than that? (NB. I'm talking here about out-of-combat healing. In-combat healing is a completely different matter, and significantly changes the play of combat. But people like @Bedrockgames are not calling for incombat healing as far as I can see - which is, in any event, not a big part of the pre-3E D&D exerience.)

Suppose it does, what does the wizard get instead? The ability to rest at will (via Rope Trick, Teleport and the like).

What do the fighter and thief get? I'm not sure, but my general feeling about martial PCs in D&Dnext is that they're back to their pre-4e status, of ceding narrative control to the spellcasters.

Exactly!

In these scenarios then yes, a cleric who increases encounters per game day would be more powerful. But presumably in a scenario which involves getting info from slum-dwelling low-lifes a thief will be more powerful; or that involves infiltrating a castle, a bard or paladin will be more powerful. Unless the passage of time is built into the system as a generic cost or resource, I'm seeing this just as one of those "some classes suit some niche scenario" things, not as evidence of generic class power.

This is exactly what I've been saying since more than 100 posts ago. My only quibble with you is that there is no reason to think there is even an ingame advantage - why does it matter to the PCs that they do things quickly rather than slowly?

And if the PCs are wizards who can control when they rest, and hence can afford to deploy more spells per encounter without risking running out, they have both an ingame advantage and, if the GM doesn't change the challenge difficulty, an in-real-life-at-the-table advantage too!

Everything else being equal, though, that will slow the rate of PC level progression. Which may be an issue for some groups.

I was going to post this myself! If that's how XP are earned, then being able to do 5 combats per day rather than 4 is neither here nor there.

Hence why, unless the "combats per game day" is more explicitly built into the system, I don't think a cleric who increases the number of combats between refreshes is per se overpowered.
Saving the princess is a real trope , game world urgency a valued parameter... thats why even out of combat healing needs reins on itl

The reins on out of combat healing might be like 4e rituals with a cost (encourage DMs to adjust that cost perhaps)... or my current idea, lack of in combat healing because of it (Why would people choose that... well make casting those heals out of combat more potent)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I have an idea cure spells should be of improved efficiency out of comat then there would be a trade of survivability peak performance vs stamina

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I mean, basically, what if parties are only getting in 3-4 fights per day on the very high end, and that extra fight possibility from the Cleric doesn't really ever happen?
I am not presuming anything here that D&D encounter design.. challenging fights... So the DM notices the party not being challenged because the Cleric makes things safe and cozy and he doesnt increase the power of those 3-4 fights so things stay exciting? If they want it safer the Cleric enables that ... if they dont the healer enables battling bigger more awesom monsters... there really isnt anything the cleric isnt doing with healing that the fighter defending wouldnt be appropriate to accomplish ... but simply cant because your Cleric is UBER over powered and contributes twice the "stamina" - Its rally is Increased Party Potency and Safety during bigger fewer fights unless you come up with some way to change it.. ... in fact at some point there is nothing that you might desire in the fight any fighter does which the Cleric isnt accomplishing indirectly by way of that healing. If you fight this 2X contributer might as well be named Mrx2

And the Healer also help assures you dont get screwed by lacking your Rogue, Wizard, Fighter ... if you have challenging fights his value is versatile like having 2 of a fighter (somewhat less than two of wizards because of dailies but since the cleric is probably ALSO doing versatile casting not just healing hoot its a WIN WIN)

I am not presuming anything.. here that D*D hasnt always shot for...

Sorry about the quote fix.

We are talking about somethings value being great enough its stupid not to use it.... is that the same as need... might as well be for most D&D players.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Right, I agree with you, there doesn't need to be. It'd be a rare event at my game table to have five combats in an in-game day.
Same here... but I do increase the intensity of those significant ones which may actually be more than a day apart ..

I think we are the ones saying out of combat healing could be configured so that it increases daily stamina without increasing peak party performance.(or my current idea allowing the same healing spells a boost out of combat) -- You haven't actually proposed an idea for isolating the healers impact to just stamina ... without it impacting peak performance ... nor why the Cleric should be twice as valuable for both... as the fighter.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
People pretending something isnt a problem by focusing on narrowed situations ... the "my game never has time sensitive adventures and I never have higher challenging fights and I never have longer numbers of battles per day" all of which you have to conform to OR the Uber Healer is functionally Party Member x 2.

A time sensitive single fight (must be done in fewer rounds.) is perhaps the only reason to pick the fighter as the 4th man... the rest of the time uber healer is hands down superior.

Play styles there isnt just one... and designing for the above string of asumptions is crappy design.

The ability for a spellcaster to expend all their magic, rest for eight hours, and have it all back when the magic is as potent as high level D&D spell-casting gets to be isn't exactly a common one in tabletop RPGs.

People pretending something isnt a problem by focusing on narrowed situations ... the "my game never has time sensitive adventures and I never have higher challenging fights and I never have longer numbers of battles per day" all of which you have to conform to OR the Uber Healer is functionally Party Member x 2.

A time sensitive single fight (must be done in fewer rounds.) is perhaps the only reason to pick the fighter as the 4th man... the rest of the time uber healer is hands down superior.

Play styles there isnt just one... and designing for the above string of asumptions is crappy design.

No one is denying they are very useful to have. But being useful does not mean the same thing as being the most powerful. People keep shifting between clerics are no fun to be forced to play and they the uber class. Clerics are a vital support role. They heal and that is very important to have in a party. But that doesnt by any strectch make them the most powerful member of the party. Fghters outclass them in combat and wizard outclass them with spells. Thieves own them on trapfinding and exploration.

It seems strange to me to get upset about clerics being "more powerful" than your own character when they pretty much spend on all that mojo on other party memebers. If you are playing a fighter, you are oging to be benefiting from the cleric's heals, his prayer spell etc. i dont know, i just dont see that as an issue if everyone is benefiting from it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads