2014 - Reasons to be cheerful! (part 3*)

This is a general feel good thread about what we can look forward to in 2014, mainly in terms of new game releases or anything else we can be excited by. I think 2014 will be a big year! Here are some of my suggestions why:

- D&D's next edition arrives. Yay! Not sure what format, or how successful it will be, but D&D has been in limbo for a number of years now. This release may, hopefully, bring a bit of unity and direction to the RPG hobby as a whole. The big question is how will Pathfinder, 13th Age, Castles & Crusades and the rest respond to it? Interesting times.

Call of Cthulhu 7e. A new edition of another iconic elder statesmen RPG will arrive next year, along with an updated and expanded version of the Horror on The Orient Express campaign. The success of the kickstarter fundraisers on each of these, and some of the glimpses so far suggest a significant rise in production standards. Worth also mentioning that a new standalone version of Delta Green RPG is also coming, along with a bunch of other CoC supplements and campaigns from Chaosium and elsewhere (London box set, New Orleans, WW2 and so on). Pretty exciting.

- The One Ring's The Darkening of Mirkwood Campaign. Talked about seemingly forever during Cubicle 7's torturously slow release schedule for The One Ring line. Promises to be an epic comparable to the level of The Great Pendragon Campaign, and the quality of the books released so far suggests it will live up to this promise. They may even manage to release a few other books this year (Rivendell? Beyond Wilderland even?!! Crikey!) Either way, the campaign will work in well with the final Hobbit movie release, beginning at the time where that franchise finishes….and eventually leading into where the War of the Rings era begins. Epic.

Glorantha takes off - Moon Design's successful kickstarter of the Guide to Glorantha will finally bring a near 50 year old grandiose setting to full color, two volume life. The Design Mechanism's RuneQuest 6 is already out, and is compatible and very classy. Greg Stafford and co. must think they are in heaven already!

- A bunch of new books for Doctor Who - Doctor's 1-3 are now done. Just waiting on numbers 4-11 (or is it 12? Or 13?). This time last year, the release schedule for DW looked as barren as The One Ring does now. Times change and The Future can be rewritten….

- A new edition of Dark Heresy for 40KRP - with smoother mechanics and a richer character generation system. Compatible with the later 40KRP game lines, and we can reliably expect a very good quality update for a popular game.

- More Star Wars RPGs - to make a new trilogy of our times, which will also build up nicely to a new movie launch in 2015.

- Kickstarters for more White Wolf games: this year will see much excitement in the shape of a 20th anniversary edition of Mage: The Ascension which is odd as it originally came out in 1993….

…please feel free to add your own! :)

* Kudos for those who get the Ian Dury reference.

Last edited:

Bluenose

Adventurer
Guide to Glorantha and Darkening of Mirkwood are two of the products I'm really looking forward too. Others;

The new (3rd) edition of Exalted should be out, and some of it's supplements.

Adventures in the East Mark, a translation of the excellent Spanish game.

Space 1889 gets a new edition.

With luck some of the existing Yggdrasil material will be translated and published by Cubicle 7. And Qin too, though I've said that before.

There's more Fate-based setting material on the way, such as Tianxia and Dawning Star.

And I'm interested to see waht Privateer PRess bring out for their Iron Kingdoms RPG, though there's not much news about.

I'm looking forward to MWP's new Firefly RPG - the adventures for it so far have been excellent. More Fate including Dresden Files Accelerated. More PR and hopefully an uptick in players from D&D Next. Playtesting of the updated version of Feng Shui. And gaming using the excellent games that have been coming out in the last few years.

Remove ads