• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC 2020 Was The Best Year Ever For Dungeons & Dragons

Scribe

Legend
How many pros were getting a "sustainable living" anyway, unless they had a side gig writing for SCG or something similar?
Very few. Depending on what sustainable means to you.

Pretty sure these folks didn't all have 100K annual contacts.

The wider impact will imo be unfortunate. More resources directed at EDH, with even less regard for competitive constructed formats.

It's been a long decline, but their stupid F.I.R.E. approach finally did it.

NotAYakk

Legend
It is a fabulous new. Not only they have survived the videogame age but now it is living its best time. most famous than ever, and no menace of satanic panic. We are like the first years of Disney resurection (Beast and Beauty, Aladdin, Mulan, Lion King..), with a great future ahead.
I think the decision to not line books with satin was, in hindsight, wise.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Very few. Depending on what sustainable means to you.

Pretty sure these folks didn't all have 100K annual contacts.

The wider impact will imo be unfortunate. More resources directed at EDH, with even less regard for competitive constructed formats.

It's been a long decline, but their stupid F.I.R.E. approach finally did it.

Modern was my competitive format, and the land base prices not being brought down by reprints, disregarding the keeping out things that consistently did better than turn 4, the FIRE over-poweredness, and bringing in pioneer took it from 16-30 folks weekly at our LGS to not firing over a few years. Even Eldrazi winter didn't manage to kill it.

Looking at my 11 yo, I wish there was a standard type format limited to 8 rare/mythic. That would make it affordable for me to get him in. As for now it's EDH and pre-releases. (Old school does ok around here because they allow play-test cards).

Maybe. I don't follow Magic much so I don't have any sense of how it fared under the pandemic. I know my FLGS stopped Friday night Magic well before coronovirus hit.

Alot of them sold mtg products omline and via curb side pick up. Most MtG buyers prefer to play at home with friends.

Kaldheim set just 2021 winter was the most profitable MtG winter set ever. I think AFR is most likely going to be the most successful Summer set ever (to be fair Core Sets provide weak competition for Summer).

Modern was my competitive format, and the land base prices not being brought down by reprints, disregarding the keeping out things that consistently did better than turn 4, the FIRE over-poweredness, and bringing in pioneer.

Looking at my 11 yo, I wish there was a standard type format limited to 8 rare/mythic. That would make it affordable for me to get him in. As for now it's EDH and pre-releases. (Old school does ok around here because they allow play-test cards).

Buy singles most M/R are not that expensive for say Kaldheim and Strixhaven cards with some exceptions like Vorinclex and Goldspan Dragon.

Buy a Purphoros Bronzeblood as a Commander and you can use alot of big red cards that are common and uncommon, that hit hard but are costly when not using Purphoros to cheat them onto the field.

Here is a Commander Budget Build Deck for Purphoros.

Scribe

Legend
Modern was my competitive format, and the land base prices not being brought down by reprints, disregarding the keeping out things that consistently did better than turn 4, the FIRE over-poweredness, and bringing in pioneer took it from 16-30 folks weekly at our LGS to not firing over a few years. Even Eldrazi winter didn't manage to kill it.
I haven't written anything on it for a long time, but my current belief is that pre-Eldrazi Modern was the greatest competitive, constructed, format MTG has or ever will, have.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Buy singles most M/R are not that expensive for say Kaldheim and Strixhaven cards with some exceptions like Vorinclex and Goldspan Dragon.

Buy a Purphoros Bronzeblood as a Commander and you can use alot of big red cards that are common and uncommon, that hit hard but are costly when not using Purphoros to cheat them onto the field.

Here is a Commander Budget Build Deck for Purphoros.

Thanks! :)

We're pretty good with EDH cards (I've been making sure to pick up staples as they come by).

The competitive rotating format seems annoying (which is probably why I've never participated in one).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Except that is disingenuous. In fact, it’s more like “More women are joining the hobby! Men are getting more and more outnumbered! 😍

If you think that would be offensive, I’ve got nothing else to say on the subject that doesn’t get into politics.
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you're saying. But, from the look of it, don't think that's fair. Ageism, which is specifically an issue of older people (who get replaced in jobs by younger people, targeted by scammers as a higher proportion, and in general subjected to more discrimination in society than younger people due to their age) is a protected minority class. Laws, like the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, are passed to protect the elderly specifically because they are members of a protected class. Men, as a classification, are not a protected class. It is in fact more akin to people celebrating a decrease in the number of women playing, since gender and specifically sexism targeted to women is a protected class for reasons which are similar to agism targeted at older people.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
First, age discrimination laws here in the United States apply to those who are 40 or older not just the elderly. If you think 40 is elderly then I kindly invite you to speak up because I can't hear you. Also, get off my lawn.

Second, I have no objection to anyone being happy about the number of young people outnumbering the, uh, more mature players. I myself am happy about being outnumbered because it's indicative of a healthy future for the game. Even if I stop playing today, it'll warm my heart if in twenty years there are still people playing D&D. Just make sure you're not expressing such happiness because the older folks deserve to be outnumbered or something like that. It hurts our feelings. Not mine because I have no soul.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads