WotC 2020 Was The Best Year Ever For Dungeons & Dragons

I've had vanilla iced cream. I've had chocolate. Vanilla is hands down flat out better, no matter how old you are
Sure, I agree with that, I prefer vanilla too. And it's perfectly fine for you not like VGR (or any sort of change whatsoever, judging by your posts), but YOU DO NOT SPEAK FOR YOUR AGE GROUP. Some of us like change, especially when it is for the better.

Reynard

Legend
I can't imagine what would make someone think that they and their interests and preferences alone should be the focus of a company's products, yet we see it over and over again.

For those that don't quite seem to understand how commerce works: success is measured by broad appeal, as evidenced by high engagement and strong sales. It is not measured by the reactions of any individual consumers, good or bad.

OB1

Jedi Master
I'm not @Northern Phoenix, but I am a younger member of these forums, and so I feel that my experience is worth saying.

In my experience on these forums and those of D&D Beyond, it's both. Certain people are more passive aggressive towards younger generations/styles of play than others, and some are more directly and outright hostile. Both attitudes seem to be more common on this site's forums than those of D&D Beyond, but the more outright and direct hostility seems particularly common here in comparison to D&D Beyond's forums.

However, the passive aggressive type of hostility is by far the most common on both sites. I can count the amount of times I've been told by an older-style player that "D&D is being destroyed by Eberron and Critical Role" using the fingers on both hands, but I can't count the amount of times I've heard people say stuff like, "It's not my cup of tea, let me list all of the reasons I hate it and why I don't think it should be in the hobby, but you do you". There are quite a few outspoken advocates for the newer generation of D&D and their style, which can be seen in this thread and other similar ones, though, which does help.
Count me as an older player (46, playing since '88) who feels that Eberron and Critical Role are two of the best things to happen to D&D, and that I hope the game continues to evolve and grow and appeal to younger generations. 5e is my favorite edition, is now the version that I have spent the most amount of time actually playing, have hooked my zoomer nieces and nephews into the game and am running a Wildmout campaign that has players from 4 different decades playing in it. Hope it continues to grow like this for years to come (and not just because I really don't want to have to learn a new system again :) )

Remove ads