2400 & 24XX: a Beautiful, Three-Page, Micro RPG

clearstream

(He, Him)
Fair dice rolled in the open are perfectly trustworthy. The DM is human, and therefore fallible and potentially biased and/or adversarial.
It's interesting to interrogate this. We generally want an opinionated narrative. Participants say things that follow. Not just any words are spoken: attention and intention are desired.

As an example, a principle in DW is expressly that GM has an agenda: they are biased. They are adversarial. That is given them as a job to do. That may be at odds with alternative ideas of a neutral referee... but I think true neutrality has seldom or never been advocated in broader RPG.

Everything on either side of the fork in the road can be and is formed with intent. Therefore why differentiate the fork itself? What specifically does arbitrariness at that inflection point do for play?

aramis erak

Legend
I'd been seeing this system popping up, and wondering about the core mechanic... and the values of the results as noted in ProfessorDetective's initial post have disinclined me from the purchase I'd been contemplating.
Here's why
  • Like GMMichael, I find the odds problematic.
  • I'm not a fan of the FKR approach, which others have noted is behind it.

On that score, Thanks, PD.

For the $6, you get 30-ish games, so I picked it up. I like FKR but honestly just looking at the rules it feels very similar to rules-lite "story" games, particularly in the John Harper vein (e.g. Lasers and Feelings, Lady Blackbird). So I don't know if those distinctions are useful; but it is a very rules lite set of games, each being 6 pages max.

Remove ads