• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2d6 roll target number or higher - mechanics

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
Folks:
I wanted to know if there has ever been a 2d6 roll higher then target number? I am envisioning something like D20, but with 2d6. Please don’t confuse this with alternative rules for d20; however, like I said – it would be very similar.

I understand Traveller has something similar, but not a target number.

Example:
2d6 + Skill Rank = Target Number+

Razjah

Explorer
Feng Shui falls into the category loosely. One d6 is positive, the other negative. Net result modifies the action value (skill mod) and that is compared to the difficulty for a task or the defensive values of whatever you are trying to hit. It isn't what you are describing, but in the family. Like the stepchild of the mechanic.

jedavis

First Post
Yeah, I'm not understanding how Traveller is different from this. In Mongoose Traveller, for example, you have 2d6 + skill + ability score +- difficulty mod >= 8 for success. It would be trivial, and mathematically equivalent, to shift the difficulty modifier across the inequality.

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
Yeah, I'm not understanding how Traveller is different from this. In Mongoose Traveller, for example, you have 2d6 + skill + ability score +- difficulty mod >= 8 for success. It would be trivial, and mathematically equivalent, to shift the difficulty modifier across the inequality.

I guess it is how I am looking at Traveller. I dug up an older Mongoose book, and noticed the following.

Target roll is 8+; however, the bonuses and penalties are applied at the dice roll, not at a target number that can be assigned for difficulty. For example: a simple hard task would be a -2, so I guess you could say that 8+ becomes 10+; however, once you get into combat and the range penalties, the difficult target roll becomes very fluid and starts to float. For example: I think a std. pistol is -2 at short/medium range and cover puts another -2/-4 depending on the environment. So I guess you could say the new target is anywhere from 12+ or 14+ depending on the environment.

I will review what you have mentioned, and see if I can wrap my head around it. I have the Traveller resources, but never played it in a group/party environment; however, I have done extensive writing for solo adventures, which is along the same lines of some of the material by Steve Jackson or Fighting Fantasy.

Remove ads