D&D 2E 2E Core Reprints Due in May

Treebore

First Post
I checked the Amazon Best-sellers list for gaming. So far, the 2E reprints are ranked about the same as the 3.5 reprints, both of which are out-selling the 1E reprints & the 4E core three. That may change, but so far, pretty cool.

I wouldn't judge 1E sales by Amazon too much, I and a number of others ordered from another site because even after shipping they were a few dollars cheaper than Amazon, and the list I was on to find the site has over 800 members.

sgt-d

Banned
Banned
I wouldn't judge 1E sales by Amazon too much, I and a number of others ordered from another site because even after shipping they were a few dollars cheaper than Amazon, and the list I was on to find the site has over 800 members.

I understand, but it just seemed like good news as a 2E fan, that not all players feel the same way about the system that WotC seems to. It was a great edition, and I'm glad that some will get the chance to try it out again (as well as 1E & 3.5). My favorite is always going to be 2E, but I have enjoyed and played every iteration of the game, and will continue to do so. My motto is "D&D? Let's roll."

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I checked the Amazon Best-sellers list for gaming. So far, the 2E reprints are ranked about the same as the 3.5 reprints, both of which are out-selling the 1E reprints & the 4E core three. That may change, but so far, pretty cool.

OTOH, the 4E books are four years old and the 1E books aren't available directly from Amazon. Tough to draw conclusions.

Orius

Legend
I know they exist because WotC need to publish books on a regular basis and they need something for that quarter, but I just can't imagine that huge of an audience for them (or the 3e reprints). The 1e books had a strong nostalgic slant and finding good copies at a reasonable price was harder.

Well, the 2e MM was and excellent resource for monsters, so that alone would be worth picking up if someone wants to do old-school style gaming. Downside is that it's light on the planar stuff though.

What covers are WotC going to go with? The originals or the black borders?

JeffB

Legend
I am glad to see these, but that price is super steep. I can see the extra cost in the 1e reprints because of the donations, but even at amazons typical 30% off, these 2e prices are nuts. Good for collectors but if you want to actually use them.....

I just picked up a NM wotc last print Monstrous Manual for less than $11 shipped, and a good tight 1993 era print PHB for less than $6 shipped through amazon used booksellers.

My 2nd print DMG with a worn cover but tight binding and excellent interior I got last year for around 7 bucks.

Treebore

First Post
I am glad to see these, but that price is super steep. I can see the extra cost in the 1e reprints because of the donations, but even at amazons typical 30% off, these 2e prices are nuts. Good for collectors but if you want to actually use them.....

I just picked up a NM wotc last print Monstrous Manual for less than $11 shipped, and a good tight 1993 era print PHB for less than $6 shipped through amazon used booksellers.

My 2nd print DMG with a worn cover but tight binding and excellent interior I got last year for around 7 bucks.

Thats all well and good, but if the 1E books are anything to go by, these are PREMIUM reprints. That means really good cover bindings and good paper, silk book marks, etc.... Not standard run of the mill printings.

Plus, another factoir for me, is I want good print books 20 to 30 years down the road, because I plan on still being around and still gaming then. The 2E books are already 17+ years old, and they are not acid free, etc... and I know how books age just sitting on a shelf for 3, 4, 8 decades and more, let alone actually being used.

So these books will last at least 17 years longer than the originals just by virtue of being 17 years newer. Hopefully the "Premium" binding and paper will help them last a decade or two longer.

Sure, I could go out and buy books really cheap, but they are already 17 to 23 years old. I want brand new, with their biological clocks reset, and believe me, every single book has a biological clock, and will reach a point where it will simply start falling apart.

So thats why I am interested in these reprints. Especially with the modules. I just started running the "A" series about two months ago. I cannot use the physical mega module. Know why? Just by reading through it the pages started falling out. I can use the individual modules, but I have to be very careful because they have already become brittle, so I can easily damage them. The books will be like that too in just a decade or two. Especially the 1E books.

So bring on the reprints, I want them!

Well, the 2e MM was and excellent resource for monsters, so that alone would be worth picking up if someone wants to do old-school style gaming. Downside is that it's light on the planar stuff though.

What covers are WotC going to go with? The originals or the black borders?

They used the originals for 1e, I imagine they'd do the same for 2e.

Papercut

First Post

Jeff, would you say the Wotc printed MM was the same, superior or inferior to TSR printed books. Specifically in paper quality and binding.

Cheers

JeffB

Legend
Jeff, would you say the Wotc printed MM was the same, superior or inferior to TSR printed books. Specifically in paper quality and binding.

Cheers

Heyya papercut!

Inferior to the 2e original covers and revised covers ( have had two sets of both over the years). The WOTC MM binding/quality reminds me of the first print 3.0 core books. Paper thinner than the TSR prints as well. I would have preferred a TSR MM print, but I found the WOTC version for half the price and in like new condition compared to the used TSR prints.

Based on the WOTC 1e reprints, Id say their "premium" is on par with the old TSR stuff.

Remove ads