• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Buff Spells- Ambush stronger than 3.0?

Elric

First Post
I was playing a game the other day when the party decided to attack a group of guards. The party is very melee oriented- I play a human monk, there is a half-ogre fighter/barb, a half-orc druid/barb, a dual-wielding elven fighter/ranger, a ratling ninja/fighter, a human cleric and a human psion.

We are level 5 and have only three spellcasters- and only one of them gets 3rd level spells. Usually, the presence of buff spells means that parties with a lot of casters have a huge advantage if they are willing to blow spell slots. Well, 3.5 buff spells are insane.

The party had potions of enlarge person (that we took from some enemies after a fight earlier that day). Between Enlarge Person, Bless, Cat's Grace (on the ninja), Bull's Strength (on the Monk and Druid) and Shillelagh (does this thing really make a two-handed club for a medium sized character do 3d6 base damage?) the party practically doubled its offensive power.

For example my character, the monk, went from +6/+6 in a flurry for 1d8+3 to +9/+9 for 2d6+6 with reach. The now large druid's greatclub was something like +12/4d6+11, 10-foot reach (and he has cleave!).

Surprise is still extremely powerful. Having everyone in the right place and fighting the right enemy is still really good. What 3.5 changes is the marginal number of buff spells cast in an ambush as opposed to in a normal setting. 1 minute/level spells don't work well if you don’t know a fight is coming right away. Our enemies could have all had the ability to use Bull's Strength 3 times a day but wouldn't have known to use it until too late.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? 1 minute/level spells don't just result in a "go, go, go" mentality; they also make surprise even more important. This is just at low levels. I don't know how things would change at higher levels. However, in 3.0 the advantage of surprise got greater as you gained levels. It is probably still the same way.

This fight should have been very tough (lots of Warrior 4-8s) but ended up relatively easy (except when the ever-unlucky half Ogre was hit for 48 in one round when his opponent rolled two 20s on his attack rolls...)

I've been the proud DM of a group that uses Mass Enlarge Person. It made a big difference at 15th-level, which is odd for such a weak-looking spell.

In any event I'm not seeing this as being very different from in 3.0. The stat buffs are only slightly more powerful (+4 vs +3.5), Enlarge Person is ... different (the reach and large weapon rules now make a difference), and Shillelagh is a bit insane :)

Surprise should make a difference, enough to modify the EL. The exact amount varies, but 1 to 2 points seems good (higher if the party has a lot of spellcasters).

James McMurray

First Post
I'd say the animal buff spells are now actually weaker than in 3.0. yes, they grant an extra .5 bonus over the old one's average, but they can't be empowered or maximized anymore.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I agree with both posters--the buff spells are far weaker than they were in 3.0 however, the lack of long-term enhancement spells means that the power balance in an ambush is significantly shifted.

In 3.0, a moderate level party could expect to have buff spells active when ambushed. By removing the possibility of long-term buff spells, 3.5 exaggerates the power difference between an ambushing party (which still has access to everything they had in 3.0) and the ambushed party (who no longer have access to very much).

Elric

First Post
Elder-Basilisk explained my point well. The 3.5 buff spells are much less powerful than they were in 3.0. However, they are still just as powerful for a short duration of time. Then the ambushed group has no buff spells up at all and doesn't have a chance.

I'm not sure that short-term ambush buffs are weaker in 3.5. I haven't played much, but Shilelagh and Enlarge Person are stronger than they were in 3.0. Haste is probably better at low levels for ambushes than it was in 3.0. The buff spells are a tad more powerful. This isn't even counting the bard's new abilities and spells. Greater Invisibility is weaker than Improved Invisibility was because of the really short duration but in an ambush it is almost as strong as in 3.0.

Remove ads