• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Bull's Strength

Numion

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
What you're observing then isn't the "broken" effect of the buff spells. It's the broken effect of the buff spells combined with the miracle spell used to get Polymorph Self.

Right you are, but my real issue with 3e buffs isn't that. The real problem is that Clerics can achieve +10 or +12 bonuses to their stats while fighters are limited to +6, and they can do it much cheaper.

Really, I didn't like it when players did that in my high-level campaign, and I don't like it now that I'm playing a cleric archer myself. The extra money is good (I've spent it on extravagant lifestyle mostly, like 10k of jewelry ;)), but it feels like cheating. And the whole ritual of d4 throwing every morning in the game is just silly.

Storm Raven

First Post
Numion said:
Right you are, but my real issue with 3e buffs isn't that. The real problem is that Clerics can achieve +10 or +12 bonuses to their stats while fighters are limited to +6, and they can do it much cheaper.

Well, effectively this problem is solved by making the animal buff spells give a flat increase isntead of a vriable one. No more empowering of those spells, since they don't have a variable component. Because of this, it seems like overkill to also reduce the duration by such a drastic amount. I will probably house rule the duration of these spells to 10 minutes per level. Short enought hat it isn't and "all day" replacement for stat enhancing items, but long enough that it is still preparatory spell. (I'll probably also house rule greater magic weapon and greater magic fang to 10 mintes per level too, for similar reasons).

Chimera

First Post
And a not so nice God might be a little peeved at being asked to perform a miracle just to transport someone to the local 7-11.

"You called on me to do what???"

ZZZZZOTTT!!!

Since the earliest days of 1e, I've always enforced the idea that Gods are GODS, and not someone to argue with or call upon lightly.

Even 'Our Lady of Light' (Miros, my world's God of Light and the Sun - very Lawful Good) would be a little upset at being called upon for routine transport duty. I'm sure she'd be glad to 'enlighten' anyone so foolish.

Remove ads