• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Classes with mounts

I'm guessing you're not playing with the errata? The errata for Complete Adventurer adds Disable Device to the scout's list, specifies that you have to move 10 or more feet from your starting location, and most importantly for this build, skirmish doesn't work at all while mounted.

If you're ignoring the errata, keep in mind that archery on its own takes a fair chunk of feats. Mounted combat makes that worse, plus it's unlikely you'll have a decent mount.

There might be some hope though. In Dragon Magazine 357 there's a feat called Swift Avenger, which lets you stack druid and scout levels for the purposes of skirmish and the number of times per day you can wild shape. Basically, you start off as scout, go into druid, and never look back. Druid will get you a great animal companion that serves pretty decently as a mount. Since you're thinking of being a goblin, a medium mount like a riding dog would be pretty good overall.

Alternately, see if you can swap the ranger's normal companion for the druid's. This is one of the most common houserules for those who know how much more powerful a druid is over a ranger.

spiderfate

First Post
i thought about this for years, but what to do when you go in dungeon. the red hand of doom is a great campaign for this character type.

i believe their is a way to play a ranger/paladin in which you use a feat to let the special mount stack with the horse animal companion and both ranger and paladin levels stack for purposes of smite. its the devoted tracker in the complete adventurer. you use the rangers bow abilities instead of two weapon fighting.

then you prestige classes. i think their is a steppe horseman prestige class in the forgotten realms material. there is also the wild plains outrider in the complete adventurer. perhaps you even dip into arcane archer or one of the other archer PrC.

when it comes to mounts you want to take the paladin mount first because its an astral creature that you summon and when it dies it just returns to astral plane for 24 hours. my paladin held off calling a mount until he could get a dire horse, very bad ass horse . or perhaps even a legendary horse.

Remove ads