D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Craft Construct a monster feat?

Olorin

Into the West
When you are improving a druid/ranger animal companion and it gains feats from increasing its HD, which feats can it select from? All feats that it qualifies for (and make sense) or only the ones listed in the MM as monster feats?

Last edited:

Wippit Guud

First Post
Well, at the top of the monster feats section:

These feats apply to abilities most commonly found amongst monsters or are related to monsters.

So, looks like they're the common ones, but others can be taken (heck, you can see on listed mosters feats from the PH list.

Olorin

Into the West
Yeah, I realized after I posted that I should just look at a few monsters and see what kinds of feats they have :)

So basically any feat goes, as long as it meets the prereqs and makes sense. Improved Init and Improved Natural Attack for the wolf, woo!

On an unrelated note, does it strike anyone else as odd that Craft Construct is listed under the monster feats? (going by the SRD). Just wondering why it's not in the PH with rest of the item creation feats...

Knight Otu

First Post
According to a post (I think by Andy Collins on the WotC boards), this was done to control access (so you don't have players saying "It is in the PHB, so I should be able to take it"), as well as to have the rules for constructs in one place.

Personally, I think the second is a much better reason than the first.

Olorin

Into the West
Knight Otu said:
According to a post (I think by Andy Collins on the WotC boards), this was done to control access (so you don't have players saying "It is in the PHB, so I should be able to take it"), as well as to have the rules for constructs in one place.

Personally, I think the second is a much better reason than the first.

*shrug* :)

It really seems like something that characters would want to take at some point. Grouping it with monster feats and the way it's worded make it sound like only creatures can create golems...

It's not like it's simple or cheap to create constructs anyway. Just don't see the reason for hiding it in the MM.

Voadam

Legend
And so item creation feats should be in the DMG where the items are. Shouldn't improved familiar be in the MM too instead of in the DMG?

Remove ads