D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 - Discount shop to buy D&D books?

Water Bob

Adventurer
Does anybody have a good, in-expensive source for 3.0 and 3.5 D&D books? It seems like I should find some good deals now that 4.0 has been out a couple of years.

Got a link for a discount RPG house with D&D books?

athos

First Post
I sold my friend's books on EBay for him when he switched to 4.0.

15 books sold for $150, with shipping, so it was a great deal for someone.

You might try there first if you have a credit card, otherwise, I would look locally on Craig's list.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Does anybody have a good, in-expensive source for 3.0 and 3.5 D&D books? It seems like I should find some good deals now that 4.0 has been out a couple of years.

Got a link for a discount RPG house with D&D books?

Yeah, you'd think so... Unfortunately, prices are either the same as when 3.5 was still printed, or they have gone up (out of print books). At least, that's what I've seen.

As Athos said, Ebay is a decent choice. I use Amazon, since I don't like bidding on stuff. Half.ebay is another one. I believe there is one called Used Book Exchange or something similar (never been there).

I can't speak for your area, but you can look for Used Book Stores. A web search could likely turn something up.

Good luck!

bastrak

First Post
Yeah, you'd think so... Unfortunately, prices are either the same as when 3.5 was still printed, or they have gone up (out of print books). At least, that's what I've seen.

This is largely my experience. In particular PHB's in good condition seem to command prices considerably more than their original price.

rgard

Adventurer
I sold my friend's books on EBay for him when he switched to 4.0.

15 books sold for $150, with shipping, so it was a great deal for someone.

You might try there first if you have a credit card, otherwise, I would look locally on Craig's list.

Yes, my experience too. I think your best time to have picked them up was right after 4.0 came out and folks were dumping their 3.5 stuff in order to have the cash to buy the new version of the game.

For the core rules, your gaming group can probably get by with one PHB and the SRD. Just print out the class, race descriptions and spells each player uses.

You can also try your local flea markets for D&D stuff. Johnny goes to college and mom sells off his stuff. My brother picked up an extra copy of Hulk 181 that way.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
I've bought a lot off amazon. The prices went down with the advent of 4.0 and quickly rose again. Now it varies tremendously, depending on the book. Highly useful ones (MIC, SC, etc.) or later releases (the 2nd complete series) can be expensive and hard to find. Other high-quality books (esp monster books) can still be had for cheap. I agree with the others; shop around online and try local used bookstores because there are bargains out there.

IronWolf

blank
Watch eBay and Amazon Used marketplace. If you have a Half Price Books or used bookstore, keep frequenting them for deals, etc. Sometimes it is just a matter of luck of finding the right deal at the right time.

Khazan

First Post
Watch eBay and Amazon Used marketplace. If you have a Half Price Books or used bookstore, keep frequenting them for deals, etc. Sometimes it is just a matter of luck of finding the right deal at the right time.

Good advice, and, ask to talk to a manager and give him or her your email and phone number. Ask nicely to be notified when a certain book or books are available. A player in our group did this very thing at a Half Price Books nearby and the manager called him when a Spell Compendium showed up in his store.

It pays to be nice! :)

frankthedm

First Post
It seems like I should find some good deals now that 4.0 has been out a couple of years.
On some books, sure. The ones people want however are still worth money. You can get lucky looking in the corners of the web, but used book shops and other places in the real world will be better for hunting some of the books.

Local book stores or craig's list may be a better bargain hunting alternative to Ebay and Amazon since those are wretched hives of Speculators and Comic Book Guys. Those :rant::rant::rant::rant:s will buy up cheap copies and conduct bidding wars to give the illusion that an item is more valuable than it actually is.

Google shopping found this result Scribblemonger Book Exchange - Player's Handbook, Version 3.5 (Dungeon & Dragons Roleplaying Game: Core Rules) which got me thier contact data. http://www.treasuredoldies.com/?page=shop/contactus&CLSN_2915=12831426602915fe1323f315081caea1

Last edited:

Remove ads