D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Dive attacks question

zoroaster100

First Post
Do creatures only get one claw/talon attack when diving?

From the SRD 3.5:
"A creature that flies can make dive attacks. A dive attack works just like a charge, but the diving creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. It can make only claw or talon attacks, but these deal double damage."

and

"Attacking on a Charge: After moving, you may make a single melee attack."

Does that mean if a creature that gets two claw attacks on a full attack makes a dive attack, it only attacks with one claw attack? It seems somewhat counterintuitive when thinking about how real world animals attack on a dive, but that certainly seems to be how the SRD reads. Just looking for confirmation or checking in case I've missed something.

Wippit Guud

First Post
Well, lets go off of that... specifically in the descriptin of their pounce, a griffon can make a dive attack and get a full attack including rake. Sphinxes also get pounce, but no mention of using it in a dive is made....

Lots of creatures specify they prefer dive attacks (giant eagle, nightwing, gargoyle, others...), you given some of their attack options, I can't believe they'd settle for just the one attack. I would think they'd hit with any claw/talon attacks they have, not just one.... even if they do deal double damage.

It can make only claw or talon attacks

Seems to say multiple attacks, rathern than "make a claw or talon attack", but I may be reading too much into it.

Remove ads