• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 DnD Rogue discussion

Ahnehnois

First Post
Prestige classes never impose XP penalties. SRD link

Sounds like you might also consider spymaster, which has 3.0 and 3.5 versions and explicitly gives you alternate persona mechanics. Nothing wrong with straight rogue if that doesn't work out.

Lyrad8791

First Post
Sounds like a plan guys, thanks for the info so far. Game starts in about 4 or 5 hours from now, so anyone have any idea for spells and what items to use for the effects?

I am going to be using my bluff skill as a means of "spellcraft" to make it look and sound like a real spell. The only problem so far is I haven't found many items to use for the spell effects. I was thinking about finding some smoke pellets or something to use for a Teleport spell combined with my hide skill. Thunderstone for a sonic attack. Entangle bags for entangle obviously. :)

Let me know if anyone can think of any other spells and ways I can "cast" spells using my bluff skill. I am trying to do this without actually using arcane spells and spell-like effects.

Empirate

First Post
Maybe you should tell your DM to become actually proficient at the game he is supposed to "master". Maybe he should frequent some D&D boards on the web or something? Just sain'.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It seems to me that, in addition to your Bluff skill, your sleight of hand & UMD skills need to be maximized as well in order to really maintain the ruse of a non-casting class "caster". That will mean he'll be able to use smaller magic items without people realizing he's using items.

You might also look into feats that grant SLAs to further deepen the mystery.

Wyvernhand

First Post
Look up Shax's Indispensable Haversack. Its not an item, but a collection of items from tons of different sources that are both cheap and useful. It contains references to tons of alchemical items and cheap magic items that have big effects like eggshell grenades and torchbug paste. It comes in 4 sizes, each cooler but more expensive than the last.

I dunno if your DM will allow much of the stuff in there, but it well give you a better idea about what to buy and use.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads