D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Help needed in creating a Sorcerer (4th Lvl)

green slime

First Post
Hi to you, Buck Godot !

Human, 4th lvl. 20 hp
STR 12
DEX 13
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 13
CHR 18 (was 17... became 18 at 4th lvl)

Has NPC starting cash (house rule) of 3,300 gp.

Well, first off, the feats:

Spellcasting Prodigy (gains you an extra 1st spell per day, and ups your DCs by 1)
Extend Spell
Energy Subsitution (Sonic)

Future feats of worth:
Silent Spell
Energy Admixture
Leadership
Heighten Spell
Spell Penetration
Greater Spell Penetration
Empower Spell
Eschew Materials.

Spells:
1st) Shield, Magic Missile, Expeditious Retreat
2nd) Acid Arrow (no SR, and can be extended, as well as empowered)

For higher levels, aim for an admixture of offense, defense, and utility spells covering all the base saves (Fort/Ref/Will).

For 2,000 gp grab a Heward's Handy Haversack, couple of scrolls, potions, a few mundane items, perhaps a mw light xbow, and you're all set to go.

Last edited:

Buck Godot

First Post
Thanks for the many varied repilies (and welcomes.) Unfortunatly, I can tell you that I won't even consider Spellcaster Prodigy, as my DM absoultely *hates* it.

As to PcR's... well he is only 4th level, but I'll check them out for future planning. I usually don't play PcR's because I don't like most of the concepts, but I'll re-check out the Incantrix.

Here's my ideas right now:

0) Resistance, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Touch of Fatigue, +One Other

1) Magic Missle, Charm Person [Get out of jail free card ;) ], plus one other. Say maybe Ray of Enfeelblement or Protection from Chaos (lots of Chaos critters in the game I'm in.)

2) I was thinkinking about Blindness/Deafness... but I'm looking over the ones posted above and reconsidering my options.

Now I can already hear the question: "Where is Shield??" Simple. In my Wand I purchased (with starting cash) [Along with a Wand of Mage Armor. Best 1500 gp I've ever invested in]. Now I realise that this idea may or may not work, but here is my rationale. Shield never really gets better after 1st lvl (our combats tend not to last more than ten rounds). Furthermore, the situatiuons where it would be cool to be a Sorcerer [Stripped of your stuff in a Jail cell], I'd rather have mind altering juju. Sure I'd love to have both, but as a Sorcerer, I have to prioritise. And besides.. Its only 750 gp to replace (I'll suck down the 4AC if it ever comes up in a combat situation... right after "zapping" someone and making him my friend :) )].

My basic philsophy of this character is: "Does the spell get better over time. If no, Scroll or Wand it is. Except if I need to use it for escape purposes".

As for feats: I'll probably do the "generic Sorcerer" and go for Still/Silent. I haven't made up my mind on the last one tho.

Thanks again for all the replys. I'll keep you updated on my build.

John

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I didn't mention it before, but if you have a fire source available (e.g. a handy torch) then Pyrotechnics is -fantastic-.

Why?

Because you can choose when casting it to target Fort saves by doing the choking smoke (and which gives concealment too), or the Will saves by doing the fireworks which affects an utterly ungodly large area (120ft radius!).

In our last adventure I turned the tide of the battle singlehandedly by turning my torch into fireworks when 10 mounted barbarians charged us in a pincer movement. The radius of effect caught all of them, all the horses got blinded and a good number of the barbarians too (DC16 and I think I got lucky). Even 1d4+1r blinded really gave us the chance to even the odds up, and the rogue *really* went to town on the blind foes.

Cheers

Remove ads