• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] - Hewards Handy Haversack to be toned down.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Direct remarks by the person who wrote the passage is not evidence of the "original intent" of the text?

Analysis comparing the message containing those remarks to known samples of Monte Cook's correspondence showed there was only a 7.4% probability it was really him who wrote that message freely.

There's a 29.5% probability he wrote it under duress or under the influence of drugs.

Further analysis revealed a 52.0% probability the author of the message was Wil Wheaton, masquerading under Monte's Malhavoc account. (He plays a lot of wizards, y'see.)

So I don't know how much faith I'd put in a ruling made by Wesley Crusher.

-Hyp.

jonrog1

First Post
Ah, agreed HHH is rendered somewhat less useful by all those nifty FR bandoliers and belts. As a matter of fact, the rogue in my campaign has all sorts of oils and potions and alchemist's fires hanging off of him.

However ... the first time an opponent smashes one (soon, very soon), I'll bet he moves the really toxic stuff to the Haversack

I think the ME, not-provoking AoO isn't so bad. People who don't abuse the item won't notice a difference, people who do will be checked a little.

Dthamilaye

First Post
IMC, haversacks and bags of holding have that non-dimensional space inside them and everything outside the sack affects the insides, just as in normal sacks.

For example, the players once were in a room with such a sonic noise that all their potions and glass objects needed to make saves. Including those in the bags and sacks.

Ie, you have a bag of holding full of potions, hit it to wall and hear them get smashed. Then, the liquid would slowly come through the sack, as in normal sack with liquid inside.

If you put a pointy item inside the sack, you might make a hole in it, from the inside. If the pointy item would be 'teleported' to some other dimension, how the heck could it make a hold in the bag?

Also, if there is something in the bags, you can somewhat feel from the outside, what is inside. If there is an apple inside, you can feel it and touch it through the sack fabric. Items effectively are inside the bag. The bag does get bigger if you put lots of items there. If you fill the whole space of the bag (instead of weight), ie, with feathers, the bag will show from the outside that it is stuffed with something.

In short, bags of holding and HHHs and others like them work JUST like normal bags and sacks, only that they take more things inside them.

Imho, if the bags would make all things inside them invulnerable to everything, the bags would be much more expensive. Safe boxes (from splatbooks) are for that.

As a house rule, If the sacks are ruptured by pointy things, the items do not vanish anywhere, but are dumped on the ground. No-one in our campaign would use the bags otherwise except for maybe some very seldom used things.

However, Portable hole IS an opening to a different dimension.

LokiDR

First Post
The interpretation from the living games I have been told (for what that is worth) is that items in an extra dimentional space are not affected by external forces.

Bags of holding are supposed to protect your objects from harm. The fireball can't destroy the stuff in bag because it is in extradimentional space. This seems to be the intention of items of holding. See familar pocket for similar reasoning.

Remove ads