D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] inteligent items

brehobit

Explorer
Looking over the new inteligent item rules, they seem very very[\b] powerful. They can activate their own abilities on the PC's initiative. So you no longer need to take an action to "ignite" your flaming sword if that sword is inteligent. Further, for the low low price of 6500 GP you can get three quickened cure moderate wounds per day. Well not really quickened, but it is the item's action, not yours. I'll be the first to admit I've been in favor magic items being self-activated. But it is huge. Heck, being able to cast 5th level spells at will is also huge (song of discord anyone?)

While on the int. item thing, anyone figure out what the caster level is for these things? I'm guessing they are minimum possible (the cure moderate wounds is 2d8+3) but I really can't find it.

Dthamilaye

First Post
I always thought that even in 3.0 intelligent items could activate their powers themselves.

Thats why you could do animated platemails that walk by themselves, flying swords that fire lightning bolts and whatever.

Intelligent items are very useful especially because they can give you extra actions.

In fact, one of my group had intelligent boots of speed. That ment he didn't have to use an action to start the haste as the item did it for him.

brehobit

Explorer
kreynolds said:

They could. It was better explained in the A&EG, and so was the pricing.

Humm, in the 3.0 DMG it very clearly states that using an int. item's abilities (other than free feats) requires a standard action. Right above the lesser powers. Perhaps A&EG changed this?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
From the SRD:

All abilities function only when the item is held, drawn, or otherwise brandished and the possessor is concentrating on the desired result. Activating a power is a standard action, but using a free feat is not. Feats may be used regardless of prerequisites, but the item still must be held and drawn. At the DM’s discretion, an intelligent item might activate a power on its own.

-----

So 3.0 catered for both.

-Hyp.

Remove ads