[3.5] Looking for character suggestions

ozzie831

First Post
Hey everyone,

New to the site and I need help finding a class that would work well with my 3.5 group. Im fairly new to the game so basically anything with magic confuses the crap out of me, just because I havnt really played any magic users but long story short, my first character died. He was a Changeling bard with super high disguise and bluff, he was a lot of fun in the RP department but pretty useless in the combat department. But around level 5 or so he died after being 1 shot by a crit from a Werebear... So I made my current character, who is a raptoran charger but he is just super boring/repetitive and has no personality compared to my first guy.

So my group is level 7:
Monk going towards Drunken master.
Some Fighter who went towards Abjurant champion.
Wizard who has a thing for undead, conjuring centipedes and tossing fireballs.
And a dude that can transform into basically anything (does ass loads of damage and is super tanky....) and is basically the party face.

The things that I can really think of that we are lacking is a:
Something that heals/shields/buffs, we almost die every encounter. All we have is like 1 wand of cure light wounds to heal 5 people.
A "Know it all". Our DM likes to throw creatures/religious stuff/ super random stuff at us that no ones character would know.

I barely know anything about D&D so hopefully this means something to you guys but our campaign is set in Tal'Dorei. Im pretty sure Tal'Dorei is actually 5th edition but we are playing 3.5 rules, we are just using it for a setting and my DM is just making up his own campaign. We are basically allowed to use any 3.5 book. We just arent allowed a whole lot of cheese. Like I tried to get a Half Mino-Half Ogre. DM didnt let that fly. Also no templates.

So now that you have a little back story. Id appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
Sorry for the wall.

If you used Inspire Courage during most combats, you were less useless than you think. If you could look back over the statistics of your sessions, I'm willing to bet there were a ton of times you allies hit only due to your morale bonus. Each of those hits should be put under your hat. Same thing for all the extra damage your allies did while Inspire Courage was up. You may not have directly done the damage, but those enemies did died faster all because of you.

Sure, a melee character is going to seem boring after playing a bard. As for the lack of personality, a big part of that is you are probably comparing your current character vs the bard with all that character development and interacts up until he died, not when you started him. Without the proper mindset and tools, bringing in a new character after just losing one you enjoyed is difficult. What I do while/after building a character is to create a basic background for him/her. If I'm having trouble coming up with my own ideas, I'll visit Hero Builder's Guidebook [3.0E D&D] (pgs 38-55), Ultimate Campaign [Pathfinder] (pgs 16-51), and/or Xanathar's Guide to Everything [5E D&D] (pgs 61-73) to help flesh out my character concept. Knowing where my character comes from RP wise is as important to me as know where he's going build wise too me. When I roll on the provided charts, I generally roll thrice and pick the one that appeals to me the most at that time. I then try to write at most a half page backstory using the results.

What your missing:
Dedicated Healer - If you find your current character boring, a dedicated healer will leave you crying in the corner. Unlike most other roles, a dedicated healer is a reactive game... simply waiting till someone needs you instead of directly dealing with the source of those injuries. The only time they are really active is when facing a powerful and/or mothertrucking horde of undead It is quite possible to play without a healer, my group does it more often than not, but it requires the party to adopt tactics that support that play-style. If you don't want to play a healer, convince your group to invest in more wands of healing (and other such items) and/or hire an NPC to fill that role. Should you decide to take this route, build yourself a character who can heal, but is not focused on it exclusively. Also avoid making this role a buffer as well; having to chose between using a spell slot on healing or buffing can cause analysis paralysis and such a character has a very tiny role in the active combat.

Buffer - There are a lot of ways to build a buffer, with the majority being a caster of some sort. In my opinion, the bard is the most simplistic of the casters for buffing. At this time, only the Marshal from the Miniatures Handbook and the Dragon Shaman from Players Handbook 2 come to mind as a non-caster that provides a party buff. Another thing to consider is a buffer generally doesn't directly do a lot of damage in combat themselves. This will hark back to your feelings of uselessness during combat... until you start looking at how your buffs allow your allies to hit more often, deal more damage, and reduce/ignore damage.

Know-it-All - Unfortunately, Wizards and Bards are the two best options for this. Not a lot of classes provide all the Knowledges as Class Skills.

A setting is simply the world you are playing in. There are several settings that span multiple editions, with only various revision and/or additions to the lore with each new edition. Nothing about the edition you are playing will effect the setting your DM has chosen.

Suggestions:
(1) Not in any particular order
(2) Can't give more explicit advice without knowing more about how you want this new character to interact in combat.
(3) How important do you consider each of the following missing slots: Healer, Buffer and Know-it-All? Do you want to fill as many as possible or focus on one?

Bard (PHB) - You already know this class, you seemed to enjoy playing it before and there is nothing wrong with playing another. I've known several players who only play one class/theme. It can do all three things you feel are missing from the group. I would advice building a different kind of bard than the one you first played, which will be easier since your first one died before he could grab a prestige class.

Paladin (PHB) - This is class is a half-caster with access to various healer spells, but not designed to be a healer. That access will however, allow you to use wands and scrolls with limited risk of wasting charges. You also have Lay on Hands, a pool of points you can spend on Healing. It's more of a band-aid than true healing, but good enough to keep party members up until you can use your wands, potions. etc after the fight. I do not recall this class having access to many of the group buffs, though they do have some fun personal ones. Your knowledges will be limited to Religion and Nobility. In addition, you can stand in the front line with everyone else dealing damage while "waiting" to heal.

Druid (PHB) - While this is a full-caster class, it has enough class features and extra options from the various books out there that you can spend very little time casting. At the same time... using the base wildshape from the PHB can result in a bigger headache keeping track of which form is the best choice for the given fight for whichever level you currently are. The alternative provided in the PHB2 is a lot simpler, but not as powerful. This class has access to most of the necessary healer spells and does not have their spell list locked down like the bard (meaning if you need to restore a damaged/drained ability score, you can do it tomorrow). Unfortunately, you only get Nature as a knowledge.

Dragon Shaman (PHB2) - Honestly, this is not a super powerful class (should be on par at least with the monk). That being said, I still love it for the various class features and RP opportunities it provides. If you can convince your DM to allow the metabreaths feats from Draconomicon (list on page 68) they are a lot of fun. At seventh level, you'll have access to a small pool of healing like the paladin's Lay on Hands and 5 out of the 7 auras provided by the class. An aura is a 30ft radius buff to all allies, self included; one of which includes Fast Healing 1, up to half max hp. That won't be spectacular for in-combat use, except preventing an ally from bleeding to death, but useful after combat before using other precious resources like spells and items. They unfortunately only have access to knowledge Nature, which is super weird since dragons fall under Arcana... you may wish to ask you DM to allow you to take Arcana instead.

Warlock (Complete Arcane) - Ultra lite caster. Effective you pick a tiny selection of "spells" and/or abilities, but then can use them without those pesky spell slot limits. They have no healing or party buffing powers in and of themselves, but were clearly designed to make use of magic items to augment their deficiencies. Early levels can be a bit boring, but one of the easiest class to hit with attacks (their primary attack targets touch ac instead of normal ac). If you do consider a warlock, the book Dragon Magic contains additional invocations to chose from, including the actual useful melee invocation. If you can make it to twelfth level, you can start making any items you think you need, assuming you took the appropriate feat(s) to make said item. Craft Wand and Craft Wondrous Item are the go to options. They have access to the Arcana, Planes and Religion knowledges.

ozzie831

First Post
[MENTION=33580]BlackSeed_Vash[/MENTION] Thanks for the info. Now Im just not sure what I want to do. I keep being told that a dedicated healer is a bad idea. So maybe Ill be a buffer/debuffer/ battlefield controller/skill monkey.
[MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION] Thanks for the info. It probably is because I messed with some of the font setting after some of my post went a bit wonky and I tried to fix it. Hopefully your solution worked and that people can see my post haha.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
[MENTION=33580]BlackSeed_Vash[/MENTION] Thanks for the info. Now Im just not sure what I want to do. I keep being told that a dedicated healer is a bad idea. So maybe Ill be a buffer/debuffer/ battlefield controller/skill monkey.

[MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION] Thanks for the info. It probably is because I messed with some of the font setting after some of my post went a bit wonky and I tried to fix it. Hopefully your solution worked and that people can see my post haha.

Looks good on my end!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I keep being told that a dedicated healer is a bad idea.

Well...it depends. There are ways to make a healer fun- the easiest is finding the fun within the mechanics. A buddy of mine played a high-level priest of St. Cutubert whose healing process included a forceful slap from his god’s holy symbol. IOW, he healed you by whacking you with a small club, so you never got quite as much healing as you were hoping for.

The last healer I played took a feat that let him burn Turn Undead attempts to Fast Heal everything within a certain radius. That PC got his party through Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil barely ever casting a bona fide healing spell.

Last edited:

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
There's a significant difference between being a healer and a dedicated healer. What sets the two apart is how many resources you allocate to healing; spell slots, feats and magic items (your personal items, not group items like wand of cure).

When I play a healer (which I currently am), I generally don't have more 1/3 of my resources devoted to healing. My current character spends more time debuffing and taunting (little to no mechanical effect) the enemies than actually healing/attacking. He's a bit of a coward and will litterally try to duck behind the closest ally between him and an enemy... even if said ally is half his size.

I'm sorry if my post dissuaded you form picking a healer, but I've seen too many players new to the game or being casters allocate 75% or more of their resources to healing and regret it a few session in. Unless you game is all about the undead, but that's a different story. By all means if you wanna have access to healing spells, please do. Just don't destroy your fun by being a dedicated healer.

ozzie831

First Post
[MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION] Im pretty sure "technically" we can use any 3.5 material including dragon magazines. The only thing that I can think of that we cant use is templates, mostly because our DM doesnt really know what they are.

Most of the problem is that Im new-ish. Not "new-new" but new enough to not understand magic spells per day or what level spells I get at what class level or how wisdom adds more spells per day. Or like how power points work from a psychic warrior. Even just typing it hurts my brain. There is just WAAAY too much :):):):) to learn. Also Ive just never really been into magic in any fantasy genre. Like its cool but to put it into perspective, If i was going to be any fantasy race in real life, it would probably be a dwarf. No that doesnt mean that I NEED to be a dwarf in D&D haha (their movement speed is a huge downer).

Healing someone while beating them is quite an awesome concept XD. That did make me giggle.

Umm in the beginning of the campaign, there were literally 0 undead. But this portion that we just went through (and basically just finished) was nothing but undead..... that super sucked for being a charger with a piercing weapon.....I might has well have been beaten them with a stick off the ground. I may have done more damage. So im going to say at least for a few more sessions, there is going to be more undead but I wouldnt be surprised if it switches to something entirely different. In the beginning it was literally all orcs with some rando stuff mixed in. Then this area of the game has been nothing but undead.
[MENTION=33580]BlackSeed_Vash[/MENTION] Haha nice, I made my first character suuupeer useless. Thus him dying. I was just starting out playing the game and I had no idea how to play or make a build so I just picked a class that I thought would be somewhat helpful to the group until i could grasp how the game was played. He was not meant to last nor was he meant to be actually entirely useful. But he was super fun to role play.

But no your post didnt dissuade me. I have asked this question on the "Giant in the playground" forum and everyone has said the exact same thing. I come from a World of Warcraft background where healers are suuuuper relevant. So coming to a game where there is basically no tanks or healers is a bit of a swing in a different direction. Like I feel our group has the damage but everyone just gets pretty messed up in most of our battles. We had a huge fight today with flesh golems and undead giants and it went super smooth. There was also a Large Dragon Flesh Golem that surprisingly enough no one even got hurt. So Im really just not sure what to do. That was the whole point of this post and the post on the other site. Ive just been trying to ask what sort of character would meshed with my group or filled in the gaps that we were missing.

Remove ads