D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Monster Advancement Example

Kirowan

First Post
I think I found a number of mistakes in the monster advancement example on page 292 of the 3.5 MM. Could you guys please check it out before I send it in as errata?

1. The otyugh goes from 6 HD to 15 HD. At 6 HD, he has a +4 to hit with his 2 tentacles and a a -2 to hit with his bite when making a full attack. He doesn't have the multiattack feat. Shouldn't he should have a -1 to hit with his bite, not a -2?

2. When the otyugh goes to 15 HD however, he takes the multiattack feat. His 2 tentacles are at +14 and his bite at +11 when making a full attack. Shouldn't it be +12 for the bite since the multiattack feat penalty is -2 for secondary attacks?

3. Additionally, under the 6 HD otyugh listing for full attack, bite -2 is listed twice as a typo.

4. The 15 HD version of the otyugh has it's abilities reconfigured to account for the size change, but not to account for the fact that he would have gained 2 extra ability points for being 15 HD. Of course, that could alter the skills and saves.

What do you think guys?

Thanks,

Nick

Staffan

Legend
Kirowan said:
I think I found a number of mistakes in the monster advancement example on page 292 of the 3.5 MM. Could you guys please check it out before I send it in as errata?

1. The otyugh goes from 6 HD to 15 HD. At 6 HD, he has a +4 to hit with his 2 tentacles and a a -2 to hit with his bite when making a full attack. He doesn't have the multiattack feat. Shouldn't he should have a -1 to hit with his bite, not a -2?

2. When the otyugh goes to 15 HD however, he takes the multiattack feat. His 2 tentacles are at +14 and his bite at +11 when making a full attack. Shouldn't it be +12 for the bite since the multiattack feat penalty is -2 for secondary attacks?
You're forgetting that the otyugh has the Weapon Focus (tentacles) feat, which accounts for the 1-point discrepancy between tentacles and bite.

The advanced displacer beast didn't get any extra ability points, either, and some classed creatures weren't "CRed" properly. The mummy lord was, the aboleth mage was not.

I think, when advancing a creature, you should boost the CR by 1 or 2 more points ... and increase the armor. I used one of those 24 HD gorgons mentioned in the Planar section of the DMG ... Power Attack = dead advanced creature, in my limited experience.

Remove ads