D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Moving through squares

bekkilyn_rpg

First Post
I'm just needing a clarification on one of the rules. In the 3.5 PHB, it says on p. 147 that "You can move through a square occupied by a friendly character unless you are charging."

On the next page when describing Overrun, it states that "During your movement or as part of a charge, you can attempt to move through a square occupied by an oppenent."

No problem with those, but...

On page 157 when describing further details of Overrun, it states "The defender has the option to simply avoid you. If he avoids you, he doesn't suffer any ill effect. If you were attmpting the overrun as part of a charge, you may keep moving. (You can always move through a square occupied by someone who lets you by.)"

Okay, it's this last part in parentheses for which I need clarification. These statements concerning overrun deal with opponents rather than friendlies, but if one wanted to charge an opponent and a friendly was in the way, the very first quote I made would seem to indicate that one could not make the charge. But could the friendly simply decide to let the character who wishes to charge charge past rather than block the charge in which case the character couldn't make the charge, or does this decision only apply to opponents?

So I suppose the gist of the question is whether or not "You can *always* move though a square occupied by someone who lets you by." really means always or does it still only apply to opponents only?

Thanks for any help in getting this clarified!

Magic Slim

First Post
There was quite the extensive discussion a while back (ie when the rules on charge / overrun were published). I'm not sure how it ended.

As an opinion, I'd say that you can charge though an ally's square, as long as he knows you're coming :)

Slim

bekkilyn_rpg

First Post
Thanks! Your opinion makes the most sense to me and is the same as my opinion.

If you or anyone just happens to have a link handy to that earlier discussion, I'd love to read those posts.

Remove ads